Blue Ribbon Corn Dogs coming to Disney's BoardWalk at Walt Disney World

Eric Graham

Is Costco like a cult? No store in my state so.
It's always busy when I go there. And people often fill there grocery carts full of stuff. My wife and I go there but don't really buy a lot. There rotisserie chicken is delicious. We often get meals from there for the week, but on a few occasions they've have problems with their food with listeria. Not nearly as bad as Boars Head though...There hotdogs and soda is a deal if you like hotdogs, but we don't eat too many of those.

Eric Graham

You are 1000% correct AND the Costco dogs taste much better but it’s a captive customer base (unless you want to waste an hour round trip and 5 bucks in gas to get them…)
We usually don't buy gas there because at our Costco you wind up spending more time in line to get gas than your savings.

Lilofan

It's always busy when I go there. And people often fill there grocery carts full of stuff. My wife and I go there but don't really buy a lot. There rotisserie chicken is delicious. We often get meals from there for the week, but on a few occasions they've have problems with their food with listeria. Not nearly as bad as Boars Head though...There hotdogs and soda is a deal if you like hotdogs, but we don't eat too many of those.
Can't beat the hot dog / soda combo $1.50 since 1985.

Smiley/OCD

We usually don't buy gas there because at our Costco you wind up spending more time in line to get gas than your savings.
.30 cents less/gallon than our other branded stations like Speedway & Wawa…we also have BJ’s here in NJ…consistently 25-30 cent/gallon difference…with my Suburban, that’s a HUGE difference

Last edited:

Lilofan

.30 cents less/gallon than our other branded stations like Speedway & Wawa…we also have BJ’s here in NJ…consistently 25-30 cent/gallon difference…with my Suburban, that’s a HUGE difference
And the only state where the staff members pump your gas for you and Costco is top tier gas!

Last edited:

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
We have a Costco and a BJ's here. Both stay about 30 cents cheaper than the competition. Sam's is closer to 20.

Last edited:

Phonedave

Is Costco like a cult? No store in my state so.

The Costco food court is a bit of a legend. They have always had low cost food there (pizza, hot dog, chicken bakes, etc)

But the $1.50 hot dog and soda combo is the stuff of legend. It has been that price for 35 years.

The rule in Costco has always been that only members (people who pay the membership fee to be able to shop there) can eat at their food courts, but until recently it was rarely enforced. Now, with the amount of loss they take in their food courts, they have begun to enforce it.

Costco makes next to no profit off of the products they sell. The prices cover the cost they pay, plus whatever share of operating expenses. All of the profit comes from the membership sales.

There is a semi-famous tale about their infamous hot dog combo price

In a quote from a story on Mental Floss, citing a 2018 article on the site 425 Business that pulled excerpts directly from a presentation by Costco President and CEO W. Craig Jelinek.

"I came to [Costco co-founder Jim Sinegal] once and I said, 'Jim, we can't sell this hot dog for a buck fifty. We are losing our rear ends,'" Jelinek was quoted as saying. He then shared Sinegal's response: "He said, 'If you raise the effing hot dog, I will kill you. Figure it out.'"

Just to hammer things home, a man worth over a $1 billion threatened to kill a man worth over $100 million over the price of a $1.50 hot dog. (That's capitalism, I guess?) "That's all I really needed," Jelinek explained of his decision to keep the price of the deal the same—because when given the choice between your life or processed meat, you're best to choose your life every single time.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
As one who was super excited for this offering, I’m sad to say that after sampling the offerings 3 times this weekend, it was beyond disappointing.

Main sticking points:

Slow
Expensive
Miniature portions

It took 20-25 minutes for an order - when the boardwalk was slow.

The dogs while tasty didn’t hold up and were way too small. The chips included were a bag of Lays, that interestingly enough most people gave back or threw away.

The boardwalk has awful QS options. Boardwalk Pizza is complete expensive garbage and the Boardwalk Deli doesn’t live up to what it should be.

With all the rich history of Boardwalk cuisine, making something wonderful here is a slam dunk. Instead we get overpriced cake and corn dogs and inedible overpriced pizza.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
As one who was super excited for this offering, I’m sad to say that after sampling the offerings 3 times this weekend, it was beyond disappointing.

Main sticking points:

Slow
Expensive
Miniature portions

It took 20-25 minutes for an order - when the boardwalk was slow.

The dogs while tasty didn’t hold up and were way too small. The chips included were a bag of Lays, that interestingly enough most people gave back or threw away.

The boardwalk has awful QS options. Boardwalk Pizza is complete expensive garbage and the Boardwalk Deli doesn’t live up to what it should be.

With all the rich history of Boardwalk cuisine, making something wonderful here is a slam dunk. Instead we get overpriced cake and corn dogs and inedible overpriced pizza.

That's really disappointing because I've been looking forward to Blue Ribbon. Have you had a Sleepy Hollow corndog recently to compare?

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
That's really disappointing because I've been looking forward to Blue Ribbon. Have you had a Sleepy Hollow corndog recently to compare?
Honestly with the exception of the tempura corn dog, I prefer Sleepy Hollow, and that’s mostly because it doesn’t take a half hour to get a corn dog.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom