Votes: 42 50.6%
  • Split Stay Boardwalk Inn/Port Orleans French Quarter

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 3.6%

• Total voters

PrincessNelly_NJ

Original Poster
We have a trip coming up this November/December. My mom wants the full Disney at Christmas experience. We are booked at POFQ but I think she'd like somewhere even more festive. I want to add my mom will be using an EVC. Both of us are nervous about using it with Disney Transportation. So I was leaning towards the Epcot resorts but our budget won't allow us to stay there the whole trip.

Imhere

I'd probably choose AKL.

The deluxes are nice for someone using an EVC because everything is under one roof.

Longer transportation times at AKL is pretty much a red herring. Bus waits will be the same as any other resort, and, the extra transportation time is just a few minutes more getting to MK.

The split stay could be a good option, but I just personally don't like split stays.

Worldlover71

I chose POFQ. I don't feel that AKL or BW are any more festive at the holidays than POFQ, so that would not figure into my choice. No matter where you stay, you will need to take transportation to at least two parks, so that would not be enough to make me chose BW. POFQ is small enough to easily navigate in an EVC and will be no harder to take the bus than from anywhere else.

Club Cooloholic

We have a trip coming up this November/December. My mom wants the full Disney at Christmas experience. We are booked at POFQ but I think she'd like somewhere even more festive. I want to add my mom will be using an EVC. Both of us are nervous about using it with Disney Transportation. So I was leaning towards the Epcot resorts but our budget won't allow us to stay there the whole trip.
ÀKL puts in a huge Christmas tree. To be honest, Wilderness Loge supposedly delivers the best Xmas vibe, and is usually priced similar to AKL. Is there a reason you haven't considered that? Also consider renting DVC points if you want to do BW or Beach Club to get to Epcot easier.

Lilofan

If you stay at Wilderness Lodge and try to find out when the big Christmas tree gets installed in the lobby in one night I would stay there. Some guests in their PJs stay up all night near the lobby area watching the cast members put up and decorate the tree.

PrincessNelly_NJ

Original Poster
ÀKL puts in a huge Christmas tree. To be honest, Wilderness Loge supposedly delivers the best Xmas vibe, and is usually priced similar to AKL. Is there a reason you haven't considered that? Also consider renting DVC points if you want to do BW or Beach Club to get to Epcot easier.
Wilderness Lodge is not available for our dates sadly.

PrincessNelly_NJ

Original Poster
Isn't Port Orleans closer to Epcot than Animal Kingdom Lodge? That coupled with the fact that its costlier a night to stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans seems better.
Stay at Port Orleans and save money. Then, take either buses or your own vehicle to the Wilderness Lodge or other resorts to see their decorations. The ECV's appear to load pretty easy on the Disney buses.
AKL is about $580 more than POFQ for 7 nights.
Would you still save the $$$ or is the upgrade worth the difference?

Skibum1970

AKL is about $580 more than POFQ for 7 nights.
Would you still save the $$$ or is the upgrade worth the difference?

I haven't stayed at AKL but POR and POFQ are our primary selections since WL is now too expensive. The Christmas decorations are pretty at both Port Orleans resorts and both resorts offer pretty quick bus rides to Epcot and/or Magic Kingdom. I think that the big draw for AKL is that you have the savannah right there where you can see giraffes and some other animals. The pictures of the Christmas decorations at AKL are nice but not over the top. I just look at the $580 and think that would be better in my pocket than Mickey's or I could (probably would) end up spending more on souvenirs or food than expected and that savings would cover the overage.

Again, the best Christmas decorations are found at Wilderness Lodge with Grand Floridian being second and the other resorts falling in line.

Lastly, I would keep watching for the special offers that could come out and, if you can save money, basically rebook your trip using those offers. That may free up the budget to stay at a deluxe or, at the least, you can save more money at Port Orleans.

Smiley/OCD

If it were me, POFQ…the bus service from AKL was subpar when we ate there in December. I also use an ECV…is she renting one? Has she used one before? If not, I would let her take 20 minutes or so to drive around the resort BEFORE going to the parks so she can familiarize herself with starting, stopping, steering, etc. that will make life SO MUCH BETTER! Take the time to visit the other resorts. AKL, WL & GF have great decorations…of course the giant gingerbread house at GF…
Another option…renting DVC points at the deluxe resorts? You may save some decent cash…look into that.

As long as your mom practices prior to loading on a bus, it’s pretty straightforward and the drivers are usually very good with assistance and guidance. Relax, take a big breath, and enjoy your trip!!

HouCuseChickie

I've never stayed at POFQ, but I have stayed at POR, BWI, and AKL and have seen all (including POFQ) l in holiday mode. If holiday festive is the goal, AKL wins by a landslide. I've also always ended up with some kind of savanna view, even when in a standard view or pool view room. Animals off the balcony gets major bonus points. BWI takes second place for me because of room size and location. 314, 344, and 371 may not seem like major square footage differences, but 314 (POR/POFQ) felt uncomfortably tight, 344 (AKL) felt average/manageable, and 371 (BWI) felt more noticeably spacious. I know plenty of people do just fine with smaller. It was just my personal takeaway. Figures are the averages/norms according to Touring Plans. I also like that BWI is walking distance to YC, BC, Swan and Dolphin, so you can check out a wide array of holiday decor with a simple stroll. Still, it's so cheery to have all of that holiday festiveness in your own resort. We stayed at WL once during the holidays and had a room right on the lobby. It was magic opening our room door or looking out the peep hole and being able to see the big tree. I was in a wing for my last AKL holiday stay, but it was nearly as magical walking down the long hall and out into the highly decorated lobby area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom