News Walt Disney World Annual Passholders will receive increases to discounts during summer 2023

donsullivan

Premium Member
I remember when APers had access to private lounges - in The Land, Wonders of Life and American Adventure - with complimentary soft drinks.

Now we get cafeteria space in Sunshine Seasons…..
And when they had those private lounges far too many Passholders abused them. When a guest takes an entire tray of cookies and shoves them in their bag (I saw this with my own eyes, multiple times) so there are none left for anyone, or kids go up to the soda fountain and just press the button and pour it out on the floor the guests prove why ‘we can’t have nice things’. It turned into another round of ‘entitled’ Passholders just took advantage. And those are just the tip of the iceberg of selfish and disrespectful guest behavior I personally experienced in those Passholders lounges. I understand it wasn’t everyone but my own personal observations saw enough of people taking advantage that the spaces became unpleasant on many occasions and they shut them down. At some point they no longer want to deal with the mess, ‘stolen’ food and unruly guests trigger complaints from others trying to experience the space in peace and they just shut them down

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Is this motivated by

1) genuine kindness and appreciation for APs, or

2) softening demand for merchandise, or surplus inventory that is not moving in the way they’d hoped/projected?
Softening demand? Or shrinking demand?
eb327959-adc0-46bd-afc3-7c571f74cc00_text.gif

fgmnt

My understanding of WDW vacations is that they largely operate as a lagging indicator of the economy. The idea of really bad summer 2022 inflation affecting the budgeting and booking of 2023 vacations makes this not surprising.

EPCOT-O.G.

I wonder how much this variable pricing and up charges have unsettled other revenue streams. Like, it’s great if they make more money from G+ and stuff, but does this mean less merchandise purchases and QS dining? How much are they just cannibalizing existing revenue streams, especially as money gets tight?

TheMaxRebo

I remember when APers had access to private lounges - in The Land, Wonders of Life and American Adventure - with complimentary soft drinks.

Now we get cafeteria space in Sunshine Seasons…..

that was my first thought - like, nice they are doing this, and the increased discounts are appreciated ....

but just like roping off a section of Sunshine Seasons and providing the opportunity to purchase a drink seems like almost why bother

TheMaxRebo

I wonder how much this variable pricing and up charges have unsettled other revenue streams. Like, it’s great if they make more money from G+ and stuff, but does this mean less merchandise purchases and QS dining? How much are they just cannibalizing existing revenue streams, especially as money gets tight?

The quarterly reports have said spending per guests is up and cited things like G+ as a reason for that - but I am sure for at least some people they have a budget and if they spend more in one area that means less in others ... but for other people they just increase the budget

But at least in the aggregate it is increased total spent per guest

MarvelCharacterNerd

Speaking strictly for myself (and on the other coast), my merchandise budget dropped significantly when the food costs went up (and portions shrank) at the parks. So yes, they're still getting my money but as a result it makes me less inclined to splurge on stuff, not more. And once you get people out of the habit of buying, it's hard to pull them back in. Food I need. Another Loungefly or Spirit Jersey, not so much. Once you learn to say no, it gets easier to continue.

That said, I still shop because I'm a sucker lol but I've narrowed what I'm willing to shop for.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom