Walkway between Shades of Green and Disney's Grand Floridian Resort to permanently close

Stripes

Premium Member
Guests of Disney are allowed to play golf at the 2 golf courses, though. So it's not accurate to say Disney guests aren't allowed on SOG property. I recall discussion at the time this was originally announced that Poly guests were annoyed they could no longer walk over to play golf as well.
The two golf courses are not SOG property though. They are owned entirely by Disney.

vikescaper

The walkway from Floridian Way to the SoG guard stand has been removed, including the gazebo that had been there. You almost can’t even tell that the walkway was even there. We just returned from the TTC and the SoG bus driver compared SoG to a mobile home on Disney owned property….

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
The walkway from Floridian Way to the SoG guard stand has been removed, including the gazebo that had been there. You almost can’t even tell that the walkway was even there. We just returned from the TTC and the SoG bus driver compared SoG to a mobile home on Disney owned property….

No, that trailer park would be the cabins and soon-to-be DVC Club at Ft Wilderness.

DisneyFanatic12

What I am unable to comprehend is that the walkway from Poly to Grand is somehow now “unsafe”. That is consistently given as the reason for the closure. I do not understand how the walkway is any less safe now than it was at the height of construction when one was able to use the walkway. I was extremely disappointed when we stayed at Polynesian and it took over an hour to get transportation to the Magic Kingdom, or the Grand Floridian if one wished. It’s crazy how interconnected the two resorts are, and how difficult it is to travel between the two now. What was once a less than five minute walk is now often at least a 20 minute painful ordeal waiting for transportation.

Speaking more directly to this thread, there should have been a way to keep the SoG walkway open, or at least delay its closure. All of it seems like Disney never really tried to keep it open, but the lengths that Disney took to keep the portion going to Grand Floridian seem to contradict that thought. All in all, it’s very odd!

freediverdude

I'm sure Disney didn't want to eliminate the benefit, but I'm guessing even with a crosswalk Disney doesn't want guests crossing a 4 lane highway on foot, just an accident waiting to happen. Maybe if enough people complain they'll think about building a pedestrian bridge- not off the table I'm sure...

GimpYancIent

I'm sure Disney didn't want to eliminate the benefit, but I'm guessing even with a crosswalk Disney doesn't want guests crossing a 4 lane highway on foot, just an accident waiting to happen. Maybe if enough people complain they'll think about building a pedestrian bridge- not off the table I'm sure...
The knuckle draggers that planned the roadways have a history of (ooops) overlooking things. A pedestrian bridge only makes (cough, cough) sense. As for money? a pedestrian bridge would be chump change. Another clear example of poor management, planning and coordination. Damn! a continuing trend at Disney.

lewisc

The knuckle draggers that planned the roadways have a history of (ooops) overlooking things. A pedestrian bridge only makes (cough, cough) sense. As for money? a pedestrian bridge would be chump change. Another clear example of poor management, planning and coordination. Damn! a continuing trend at Disney.
Or. New DVC building at POLY. SoG doesn't contract with Disney for transportation. Removing POLY monorail access for SoG guests may be a positive, not a negative, from Disney's perspective. SoG guests who want monoral access have the option of taking a bus to TTC.

GimpYancIent

Or. New DVC building at POLY. SoG doesn't contract with Disney for transportation. Removing POLY monorail access for SoG guests may be a positive, not a negative, from Disney's perspective. SoG guests who want monoral access have the option of taking a bus to TTC.
Yeah, lets create more reasons for more motorized vehicle traffic rather than say pedestrian. What happened to carbon footprint reduction?

Angel Ariel

Have we not gone through all of the pros and cons repeatedly in this thread?

I'm sure there are ways this change is a benefit to Disney.

It also isn't too much to ask of Disney to make some kind of concession/meet halfway for SOG guests. That could have been as small as restoring previously given parking privileges, or as much as a pedestrian bridge. There's a huge area for compromise here. Disney chose not to compromise at all.

As a family, the bottom line for us is that this will result in us spending less money on Disney property. i can't imagine we're the only family for which that is the result. Disney clearly doesn't care about that, and that's their right. 🤷‍♀️

plutofan15

We both know carbon foot print reduction was never a Disney issue unless they can garner + PR like straws and lids
Oh for cripes sake! Not the straws and lids crap again. Just returned from a four night stay on Christmas Eve and I can safely say the lack of straws and/or lids had absolutely zero affect on the trip. Never heard a single comment. And at every counter service restaurant, we were asked if we would like a straw. Just another thing for fanboys to complain about I suppose.

GimpYancIent

It also isn't too much to ask of Disney to make some kind of concession/meet halfway for SOG guests. That could have been as small as restoring previously given parking privileges, or as much as a pedestrian bridge. There's a huge area for compromise here. Disney chose not to compromise at all.

As a family, the bottom line for us is that this will result in us spending less money on Disney property. i can't imagine we're the only family for which that is the result. Disney clearly doesn't care about that, and that's their right. 🤷‍♀️
Yes. The days of Disney actually caring about the guests and their experiences are history. The corporate fact is guests / visitors / tourists (you chose whatever name you want) are seen as mere walking / talking monetary resources to be exploited.

John park hopper

We have visited WDW many many time and over the years as prices increased we found ways to cut costs. Bringing breakfast foods, bring snacks, eating off site( we drive), bring our own alcohol etc. There is really no way to cut costs any further so we have stopped going, willI miss going to WDW not really we have memories of when Disney appeared to care about guests.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom