Josh D'Amaro to speak on The Art & Science of Disney Parks Storytelling at SXSW

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

NotCalledBob

That lightsaber has had so much coverage, and yet we still don't see it in the parks. Not really sure what the point of showing it off is anymore.

Absolutely. It would be fairly straightforward to have Rey carry it during some of her appearances in Galaxy's Edge, when she is raised above the crowds. And a huge draw, and talking point.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Absolutely. It would be fairly straightforward to have Rey carry it during some of her appearances in Galaxy's Edge, when she is raised above the crowds. And a huge draw, and talking point.
Josh D'Amaro seems fixated on the lightsaber and the hulk suit at the moment.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
That lightsaber has had so much coverage, and yet we still don't see it in the parks. Not really sure what the point of showing it off is anymore.
Well, the SXSW is a different audience than the usual parkophiles. The saber is too dainty to be used by or near guests. Bang it against something and it will fold over like a carpenter's tape measure.

It's like showing off an animatronic. It's something that guests should only see out of touch range, and would not be appropriate to be running around the parks.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Well, the SXSW is a different audience than the usual parkophiles. The saber is too dainty to be used by or near guests. Bang it against something and it will fold over like a carpenter's tape measure.

It's like showing off an animatronic. It's something that guests should only see out of touch range, and would not be appropriate to be running around the parks.
Well not in the hands of guests. But remember all those lovely overhead bridges and balconies in Galaxy's Edge that would be just the perfect place for some out of touch range saber wielding!

MarvelCharacterNerd

I don't actually find the Hulk suit that impressive. Maybe it is in person because of the size.
The Hulk was awesome in person. And I use awesome in the sense of "awe" not in California-speak. :)

Was it limited in function and movement? Sure. But as a prototype it was extraordinary. Seeing its sheer size interacting with the tinier people around it was very cool. And it had a big range of lines to say.

It was a big step up from the Baymax balloon-ish costume and from the Avatar-land exo suit encounter outfit thing. And I think as it evolves, it will definitely provide added value to the park character experience.

A taste of what he was like:

TP2000

Remember when they did this instant-dialogue tech at Disneyland??? Almost 13 years ago?

It's a real shame that Disney doesn't have enough funds and capital to put on this level of showmanship daily for paying customers. You can tell they want to exceed expectations, but they just can't quite get the funding or any investors to put up some cash for it. 🤔

I wonder how much the tab was on Mr. D'Amaro's stay at the Commodore Perry in Austin for his little SXSW talk?

Last edited:

Sorcerer Mickey

The Hulk was awesome in person. And I use awesome in the sense of "awe" not in California-speak. :)

Was it limited in function and movement? Sure. But as a prototype it was extraordinary. Seeing its sheer size interacting with the tinier people around it was very cool. And it had a big range of lines to say.

It was a big step up from the Baymax balloon-ish costume and from the Avatar-land exo suit encounter outfit thing. And I think as it evolves, it will definitely provide added value to the park character experience.

A taste of what he was like:

I REALLY wish I would have seen this in DCA last month, but a las, the jumping Spider-Man didn't work either.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Thanks! I have trips booked to both DLR, and DLP. So I should hopefully see it soon. I will go with an open mind!
Hulk was only out for a limited time at DCA and is gone now (Kang and Cassie are the current seasonal visitors), but he is heading to Paris so hopefully you'll catch him there. (And I'm terribly jealous lol - I'd love to see the Paris Avengers Campus for the different stunt shows and character photo ops they have!)

Cmdr_Crimson

Here's another view of the robot from Disney -

When I saw this, all I could think of is this...
51fd454a-652c-4e5b-b23d-22037305cba4_text.gif

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Absurdly expensive?

Like so stupid expensive that if it gets damaged or stolen (both very real possibilities knowing my ex-entertainment CMs) someone, or several people, will lose their jobs?

MagicHappens1971

It’s very fragile, expensive and doesn’t look good up close, only from a far. Only place they use it is for like 10 seconds during the finale show on Starcruiser.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom