News Annual Passholder merchandise discount to be increased for a limited time this Christmas holiday

thomas998

Hmm... does this mean Disney is just in the Holiday mood? Or is it more likely a sign that the sales across the board are down and they are trying to avoid sending it to their outlet shops to unload at even greater discounts. To me this is a sign that the revenue is down from their forecasts. Probably not because of lower guest numbers as much as it is from the higher ticket prices. I've always figured that most guests have a finite amount allocated for a vacation and if you start chew up bigger pieces in the ticket prices and other park add-ons you don't really increase the revenue from the parks overall as much as you take away from other areas like merchandise. First clue they were having some serious issues was the amount of park merch that the local outlet store started pushing recently. In the past you might see a few things from Halloween popping up, but this year it was like being in the parks they had so much Halloween stuff. Makes me wonder how much the sales for mouse ears has dropped.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Hmm... does this mean Disney is just in the Holiday mood? Or is it more likely a sign that the sales across the board are down and they are trying to avoid sending it to their outlet shops to unload at even greater discounts. To me this is a sign that the revenue is down from their forecasts. Probably not because of lower guest numbers as much as it is from the higher ticket prices. I've always figured that most guests have a finite amount allocated for a vacation and if you start chew up bigger pieces in the ticket prices and other park add-ons you don't really increase the revenue from the parks overall as much as you take away from other areas like merchandise. First clue they were having some serious issues was the amount of park merch that the local outlet store started pushing recently. In the past you might see a few things from Halloween popping up, but this year it was like being in the parks they had so much Halloween stuff. Makes me wonder how much the sales for mouse ears has dropped.
They aren’t discounting because business is booming…

It was nice they waited until the last of the out of state AP Whales left after Turkey…I mean “free range chicken”…last week to do this.

Good thinking, Saviour Bob 👍🏻

Touchdown

I’m hoping this is a sign that “unprecedented” demand is waning and Disney is going to be forced to roll back some anti consumer practices and start discounting again.

But this will likely just mean more cut backs and upcharges…

thomas998

I’m hoping this is a sign that “unprecedented” demand is waning and Disney is going to be forced to roll back some anti consumer practices and start discounting again.

But this will likely just mean more cut backs and upcharges…
Sadly as long as the people fill the parks they will more likely just cut the number of folks selling the cheap merch from China, maybe close down some shops and install something they can charge for like premium photos with Mickey or some other nonsense. I can't see them actually reacting to the real problem until it causes fewer guests in the parks and resorts.

DisneyDebRob

Another nice…but pretty old trick

Did they kick it up for dvc too? Or is that gonna be on Monday?
Keep paying the monthly dues and just be happy you have DVC. Come on Sir.. you know there is nothing at all coming to us ever again. Those days are 8-10 years ago and nothing is going to change.

CaptinEO

If I recall they do this pretty much every year, be it a CM or AP discount and its always at the holiday time.

I remember a while back (10 years ago) the holiday CM discount was 50% off.

When the margins are as high as they are for the prices they charge, they can still make a lot at 30% off.

That being said, being at the parks this week, the pricing seems all over the place. You will see a sweater that is 45 dollars and another sweater of the same style/material but with a different graphic on it but it's 65 dollars. I don't get it.

I am pleasantly surprised that most merchandise seemed cheaper than Disneyland though overall.

thomas998

If I recall they do this pretty much every year, be it a CM or AP discount and its always at the holiday time.

When the margins are as high as they are for the prices they charge, they can still make a lot at 30% off.

That being said, being at the parks this week, the pricing seems all over the place. You will see a sweater that is 45 dollars and another sweater of the same style/material but with a different graphic on it but it's 65 dollars. I don't get it.

I am pleasantly surprised that most merchandise seemed cheaper than Disneyland though overall.
Yes, although I think the quality of some of the stuff they sell at DL is higher than at WDW... or at least it has seemed that way in the past. Sometimes the low quality of merch as WDW makes me wonder if they got a shipment of stuff that was intended for WalMart.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
We'll see if the crowds this coming week are reflective of these discounts. In fact I think we'll drive down today ;)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

They always did the employee discount…
Which was cool because it was for employees.

The AP and sometimes dvc only started when they had price tinkered into oblivion…

So Iger…basically. It’s most definitely to boost sales…not for PR.

Cutting into margins is a serious move only considered after you attached the new cover sheets for the TPS reports

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes, although I think the quality of some of the stuff they sell at DL is higher than at WDW... or at least it has seemed that way in the past. Sometimes the low quality of merch as WDW makes me wonder if they got a shipment of stuff that was intended for WalMart.
1670674831295.jpeg

1670674860784.jpeg

1670674897444.jpeg

DisneyDebRob

Agree with pricing all over the place lately.
Was in a few different shops and found a shirt with those decals on it that melt over time from the washer and dryer. 59.99. Found a beautiful AKL shirt, beautiful stitching. 44.99. I won’t even guess how they come up with how they price things. That was just one example of many I’ve seen over the last 2 weeks.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Was in a few different shops and found a shirt with those decals on it that melt over time from the washer and dryer. 59.99. Found a beautiful AKL shirt, beautiful stitching. 44.99. I won’t even guess how they come up with how they price things. That was just one example of many I’ve seen over the last 2 weeks.
That sounds like Slaphead all the way…

My guess is they tried to match the prices to what they think specifically will pay at the spot. More crowded/Popular = higher prices…

What a genius, that bob is 🙄

CaptinEO

This sounds like what I ran into, I saw spirit jerseys prices from 44.99 to 79.99 as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom