DCL Buys Unfinished Mega Cruise Ship - Genting Golden Dream ???

MoonRakerSCM

I haven't dug too much into the details of this thing (if there that many yet). But I think this is either really smart on Disney's part or really stupid if it doesnt work.

I see this... Disney wants to tap in the huge SE asian market. For a multitude of reasons, they're not willing to build infrastructure in Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok etc...

But seeing this 'theme park map' style presentation of the boat... I think they're trying to tap into the market by bringing a hybrid cruise/Disney 'park' to the region. No destinations/ports, the destination IS the boat and its experiences/attractions...

If this is the case, they can have it in the region for a few years, then move as needed to other regions where there's market potential but not enough for investing in infrastructure.

Just my thoughts.

I haven't dug too much into the details of this thing (if there that many yet). But I think this is either really smart on Disney's part or really stupid if it doesnt work.

I see this... Disney wants to tap in the huge SE asian market. For a multitude of reasons, they're not willing to build infrastructure in Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok etc...

But seeing this 'theme park map' style presentation of the boat... I think they're trying to tap into the market by bringing a hybrid cruise/Disney 'park' to the region. No destinations/ports, the destination IS the boat and its experiences/attractions...

If this is the case, they can have it in the region for a few years, then move as needed to other regions where there's market potential but not enough for investing in infrastructure.

Just my thoughts.

Agreed, they're making the ship more of the destination. And it looks like it'll have a lot of typical park-like attractions: an AquaMouse, a rollercoaster, and maybe even a flowrider. Going to be the most park-like ship in the fleet by far. And that's just one portion of the top decks where all this will be located.

BrianLo

I would strongly presume the cruises go to Penang and Ph-uket (really don’t know why the forum wants to censor that one).

But maybe we’ll actually see some itinerary variety. All cruises to nowhere would be unusually shocking.

Royal doesn’t really offer Asian itineraries of value either, IMO. They are all quite short and basic.

C33Mom

We enjoy DCL, but of the 10+ lines we’ve sailed (from Carnival to Seabourn) they are among the worst at embarkation/disembarkation…I’m not looking forward to trying to get on and off this giant ship…but we love Singapore and we will almost certainly give this ship a shot during it’s inaugural year, unless they decide to allow smoking throughout the ship.

peter11435

We enjoy DCL, but of the 10+ lines we’ve sailed (from Carnival to Seabourn) they are among the worst at embarkation/disembarkation…I’m not looking forward to trying to get on and off this giant ship…but we love Singapore and we will almost certainly give this ship a shot during it’s inaugural year, unless they decide to allow smoking throughout the ship.

With the exception of San Diego following a repositioning cruise, I’ve never had any challenges with embarkation/disembarkation.

C33Mom

With the exception of San Diego following a repositioning cruise, I’ve never had any challenges with embarkation/disembarkation.
Embarkation keeps getting better as we work our way up the loyalty tier list (though having to remember the exact date you can check in and race through it is annoying, I think by Gold level it’s lower stakes now that they stagger check-in time). Disembarking has been very unpleasant (more than an hour from attempting to get off the ship to clearing customs) at least 2 of our 6 cruises and run of the mill inefficient (say 30-60m) another 3 times, with only once off the ship and straight to immigration line without waiting more than 20m for the Disney portion.

I know that some of it is out of Disney’s control, but we getting off Wish and Fantasy in Port Canaveral means waiting to get off the ship, then they queue us again in the terminal before we can get our bags, then there’s often several switchbacks to get to the immigration desk. Port Everglades/Miami has been middle outcomes, and the Wonder at San Diego was awful getting off the ship and then queuing the whole way through the terminal. I have done dozens of non-Disney cruises in Florida and did not experience the same issue more than 2x all the other times combined. I know some of it is luck and disembarkation habits— I think if you’re willing to wake early and get off a DCL ship before the first breakfast concludes it goes a lot smoother.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Deadpool is coming to the Disney Adventure:

The Disney Adventure will bring many firsts to the Disney Cruise Line fleet when it sets sail in 2025 – the first ship to be based in Singapore, the first ship to have its own castle at sea and the first ship to welcome aboard the Merc with a Mouth, Deadpool!

Making his grand Disney Cruise Line debut, Deadpool will be among a legendary line-up of Marvel Super Heroes and Villains who take the stage in Avengers Assemble! This epic entertainment experience will feature jaw-dropping stunts and unbelievable special effects during an action-packed battle of good vs. evil.

During the show, guests will witness first-hand the unbelievable powers of Spider-Man, Iron Man, Captain America, Black Widow, Thor, Black Panther, The Scarlet Witch, Ms. Marvel, Loki, Red Skull, Taskmaster and more.

Avengers Assemble! is one of the signature shows coming to the Garden Stage onboard the Disney Adventure. Complete with three-deck-high LED screens, special effects and innovative theatrical tools, the cutting-edge Garden Stage will delight guests of all ages throughout each day of their voyage.

jme

Pretty, but that seems like a lot of wasted space in the middle garden part. Not being utilized for much.
This isn't much different than Royal Caribbean's "Central Park" district, except they have real trees.

1724174032040.png

I like the interior open space, but I think the "trees" and overall lack of seating make this one a swing and a miss. Even if they filled it with artificial plants, putting something in the center instead of just the edges, would bring the area to life so much more.

Perhaps they have planned event use of this space though, so I'll reserve judgement just yet

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
This isn't much different than Royal Caribbean's "Central Park" district, except they have real trees.

View attachment 810749

I like the interior open space, but I think the "trees" and overall lack of seating make this one a swing and a miss. Even if they filled it with artificial plants, putting something in the center instead of just the edges, would bring the area to life so much more.

Perhaps they have planned event use of this space though, so I'll reserve judgement just yet
Fair point. Although RCL also has the boardwalk, and several other areas through the middle. I guess we will see how it pans out...

peter11435

View attachment 810749

Correct. The plan is to use the space as performance viewing.

Disone

View attachment 810749

Correct. The plan is to use the space as performance viewing.
It's definitely going to be used as a performance venue. I believe specifically for The avengers show. So that's why there is not anything in the middle because that's where the audience is going to be, facing the stage.

C33Mom

It's definitely going to be used as a performance venue. I believe specifically for The avengers show. So that's why there is not anything in the middle because that's where the audience is going to be, facing the stage.
I wonder if they will also use it for meet and greets and other activities that are currently held in the atriums on the existing ships.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom