News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

TheEPCOTHistorian

In the Parks
Yes
What Epcot Resort Loop restaurant is best to watch this from? I'm taking a 1 day trip to Magic Kingdom but I'll be in the night before to hopefully watch Luminous. I am looking for a restaurant where you don't need to stay in the resort to watch, has a decent view, is affordable (for Disney lol), and hopefully pipes in the music. Are there any restaurants like that?
Get Dinner at Beaches and Cream and watch the show from the Yacht and Beach lighthouse dock. Awesome spot with the fireworks reflecting on the lake.

Disone

Well I'm 3 for 3 for seeing this show and it making me teary-eyed. I guess I'm a fan.

I feel bad for badmouthing it when it debuted and I hadn't seen it yet, but Harmonious really left a bad taste in my mouth.
I applaud you for being honest enough with yourself and with this group to self-correct in an open forum. There's not enough of that on this site and I appreciate it so much when I see it.

ToTBellHop

I don't know. Circle of Life was pretty good back in the day. Both both were much better than that generic and uninspiring "We Go On" crap. Because IP.
I know…damn near 20 years they went on…and on…and on…like, we get it! Why don’t you go on, now, and leave!

Ironically, it was followed by Epcot Forever. Epcot’s nighttime spectacular crew seems obsessed with permanence.

Starship824

In the Parks
No
It must have been the original finale song, right? There must be a non-acoustic version on a hard drive somewhere. I wish we could hear it
I'm willing to bet it was in the show originally and then was cut for some reason and that there's a full non-acoustic version of it out there. I don't know if it was the original finally song but it definitely seems like it was in the show at some point and then was cut so they decided to put it in the post show.

Chef idea Mickey`=

I know…damn near 20 years they went on…and on…and on…like, we get it! Why don’t you go on, now, and leave!

Ironically, it was followed by Epcot Forever. Epcot’s nighttime spectacular crew seems obsessed with permanence.

Im sorry but These "two shows" and (songs) were made for a temporary event basis.

osian

The gospel-esque ending of Beating of our Hearts is nearly perfect for the center barge’s final trick.
I've wondered about this! Was the show built around the song that was presented, or was the song given a structure brief before it was written, e.g. break it down towards the end with a space for that trick, then provide an obvios heartbeat that could synchronise with the red hearts. I mean, the show story must have been designed and scripted and then they commissioned the beginning and ending songs to fit?? Like incidental music for movies - the composer is given the movie edit to fit the music to, right?

TheEPCOTHistorian

In the Parks
Yes
I've wondered about this! Was the show built around the song that was presented, or was the song given a structure brief before it was written, e.g. break it down towards the end with a space for that trick, then provide an obvios heartbeat that could synchronise with the red hearts. I mean, the show story must have been designed and scripted and then they commissioned the beginning and ending songs to fit?? Like incidental music for movies - the composer is given the movie edit to fit the music to, right?
Luminous was so different from a development standpoint. There never really was confirmation on just how extensive the musical rewrites were, but I think Heartbeat Symphony was always going to lead. Beating of our Hearts and One Heartbeat were most likely recorded as pop tracks, the post show versions of each. Seems like they then decided which they would use for the finale, and had it recorded with deliberate crescendos for pyrotechnic cues.

Eric Tucker was brilliant in his work on Luminous, so that’s also a factor. Brilliant fireworks design will usually just *work* regardless of how the song is recorded because a good designer will know how to supplement the emotion of the audio in a show. This is what took I:RoE from one of the greatest compositions in the last 100 years to one of the greatest pieces of entertainment ever. No, I’m not biased.

It’s like poetry, it rhymes.

When it’s done right.

Starship824

In the Parks
No
Luminous was so different from a development standpoint. There never really was confirmation on just how extensive the musical rewrites were, but I think Heartbeat Symphony was always going to lead. Beating of our Hearts and One Heartbeat were most likely recorded as pop tracks, the post show versions of each. Seems like they then decided which they would use for the finale, and had it recorded with deliberate crescendos for pyrotechnic cues.

Eric Tucker was brilliant in his work on Luminous, so that’s also a factor. Brilliant fireworks design will usually just *work* regardless of how the song is recorded because a good designer will know how to supplement the emotion of the audio in a show. This is what took I:RoE from one of the greatest compositions in the last 100 years to one of the greatest pieces of entertainment ever. No, I’m not biased.

It’s like poetry, it rhymes.

When it’s done right.
To me it seems like "Beating of our Hearts" was also going to be the ending song but I don't really know and we might never know. (Unless they shows it in the Epcot special I didn't watch lol, in which case call me out because I'm probably wrong)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom