Orlando weather/WDW crowds in early May

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
So no one knows how things will shake down in 2023. Will things sort of level out when it comes to the crowds as there are less revenge vacations? Will the prices maybe calm down? (yeah, yeah, I know, but still). Will there be this insane demand like there is now? Who knows. But it is a possibility for us.

I have been to Orlando many times in March we are veterans. But what is the average temperature in early May? I get the feeling it might be the most lovely sort of weather. Not sweltering like the summer, definitely not jacket weather and instead shorts and t-shirt weather. I am thinking May would be October-ish weather heat wise? I looked it up, and highs of mid-80s are the idea, with May not being a rainy month.

Anyway, another question is the crowds. May is past the spring break rush, and before the summer rush. What are your thoughts? Thanks.

James J

In the Parks
No
Since it is out of whack with the normal time we usually go, this is not a popular time, in early May, for Brazilian tour groups is it?
I don't think so, as we were then in early-mid May this year and didn't see many of them around.

We usually go in October, and found that the heat/humidity in May was much worse. The temperature itself may say mid-80's, but the humidity adds another 10 degrees or so to that. Plus with there being more daylight in May than October, it's hotter for longer. There was a decent amount of rain and thunderstorms whilst we were there too.

Basically, we came back saying we'd never go in May again and would instead return to our normal October trips 🤣

John park hopper

Hard to say we went in May 2017 and a cool front went through and th weather was beautiful for 5 days dry temps in the high 70's -night in the upper 50's. Went again in 2019 and it was hot mid 90's and humid. Both times it was the first week in May. During the week crowds were light and the weekend it was crowded

Penny’s Dad

We have been several times the first week of May and the weather has been perfect. The last time we went in May 2021 however it was extremely hot, so you never know. Our experience with the crowd level is that it has been good but they do have dance and cheer competitions that time of year.

dreday3

Weather is just all over the place lately, so who knows.

We always go in late October, usually nice. Last year it was soooooo hot and humid. Rainier than normal too. A cold front went through the day before we went home and the weather turned gorgeous the day we left! :D

We are arriving April 18th next year, curious to see how the weather compares.

jloucks

One of our best trips ever was in May (2012).

We had one super wet downpour, and a couple little ones. Crowds were pleasantly light. It was our first trip back after decades and it fooled us into thinking the parks were awesome. It went downhill after that. ...crowds and price wise. Weather of course stayed the same.

John park hopper

One of our best trips ever was in May (2012).

We had one super wet downpour, and a couple little ones. Crowds were pleasantly light. It was our first trip back after decades and it fooled us into thinking the parks were awesome. It went downhill after that. ...crowds and price wise. Weather of course stayed the same.
Had the same experience after our 2019 trip

Chi84

Premium Member
Our trips are usually in early May and late October. Early May is our favorite because the humidity is lower and we usually see less rain than in October. If you go in October, your best bet is to go as late as possible.

We’ve not noticed a big difference in crowds between the two, but I believe recent years have seen an increase in October crowds.

Thepuma

Been in May and its still damn hot, but nicely cool of an evening. Currently in WDW and its mega hot night and day, so much so we said we would never cone back at this time of year again.

Our favourite time is mid January. Nice and cool.

anchorman314

We've made several trips in early May, usually completing the trip within the first 10 days of the month. We've been extremely lucky with the weather -- warm to hot, but manageable humidity, with very little (if any) rain. I also think the weather is "felt" differently depending on where you're coming from. We're from New England, so Florida in early May is a huge (and welcome) departure from home.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
We are from Toronto. So early May is just starting to warm up, and yet you can still walk around with a spring jacket on in Toronto in May. Nights are still cool. No one has an air conditioner on in their home that time of year. So what I find is that our version of "hot" is different. I went late November/early December in 2017 and it was still very much legitimate sandals and shorts weather. Maybe 80 degrees everyday. I talked to an employee at Gatorland and he had a long sleeve shirt and jeans on and he said when he woke up this morning he put his coat on, haha.

We've gone in March and it is nice out. Just warm enough to be comfortable in the pools outside. October I find still quite hot, but a bit nicer at night. But that sort of heat isn't hanging around Canada in October.

JIMINYCR

Our May trips were enjoyable, temps not oppressive but the crowds last time we went were as now more daunting. We defenitely got less things done in a day, but thats where WDW is now. Who can say what the price increases and results of inflation, cost of heating, and other unknowns we will be faced with will affect the vacationing numbers to come in the next year. We are putting off a next trip at this point to see the direction things will be going before we get out hopes up for a next Disney destination. The one thing that you may be facing is the love bugs, those annoying pests which tend to be everywhere in May. Weve managed to be in WDW more times in early May than any other month due to our schedule availability. The F& G festival is going on as well and the colors are still brilliant at that time.

drp4video

I have gone twice during the second week in May. The first time the weather was in the 70's and sunny and it never rained. The second time, it rained the whole time, sometimes all day. So you never know. But both times the crowds were lower as kids were still in school.

correcaminos

Since it is out of whack with the normal time we usually go, this is not a popular time, in early May, for Brazilian tour groups is it?
I used to do early to mid May until we couldn't take out of school and now do end of May/early June. I do not recall many or any big tour groups.

It is a lot like early June in many ways. Temps can be 80s-90s (like early June). Rain is hit or miss. Crowds less than mid-March breaks. Weather to me is better but I love the heat.

Tom Morrow

As someone who HATES the heat... early May is still somewhat tolerable. Things start getting bad in the second half of May, really bad in June, really really bad in July, and unbearable in August and September. Then it FINALLY starts getting better in late October.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom