Who is revered more: Dolly Parton at Dollywood or Walt Disney at the Disney parks?

Who is revered more: Dolly Parton at Dollywood or Walt Disney at the Disney parks?

• Dolly Parton in Dollywood

Votes: 28 70.0%
  • Walt Disney in the Disney Parks

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Even

Votes: 5 12.5%

• Total voters

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
So just returning from Pigeon Forge, Tennessee and I can say with great certainty..............wow! Never been before, and it was lovely. Low crowds as well since kids were back in school. And as for Dollywood I would say the experience is excellent. Best park I have ever been to outside of anything that is Disney or Universal.

And Dolly Parton certainly has a presence in that town, let alone Dollywood. She certainly has an impact on the tourism down there and her name and face is all over the place.

So it got me thinking, do they emphasize Dolly at Dollywood more than Walt at Disney parks? Here are some similarities. Both named the parks after them (Dolly bought Dollywood in 1986 and re-named it). Both have a huge emphasis on what they wanted to see as family entertainment. The difference being, Dolly is still alive, still owns the place, still has a say in things and is down there quite a bit. One thing for certain, the people adore her in Pigeon Forge. She is a legend there, more so than just overall in the U.S. The parks do have some similarities of course. But both Walt and Dolly had clean images. Both seemed to scream the idea "What would (insert name) do?" Dolly has the shows in Dollywood and puts a big emphasis on her Christian and Southern upbringing. There isn't so much the spiritual experience at Disney parks, but no doubt the family-friendly emphasis was always meant to be there.

So who is more revered in their own backyard? I get the feeling that in Tennessee the odds of them "cancelling" Dolly Parton are 0%. It just wouldn't happen, I don't think. The odds of Walt getting that same treatment I would say are higher, especially with modern Disney, although at the moment still pretty hard to do as his fingerprints are all over everything, even 56 years after his death.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
The two aren't really comparable in my opinion.

Dolly grew up not far from Dollywood, so of course she is respected and revered in the park. Other than buying the land and sharing his initial vision of E.P.C.O.T., Walt really has no connection to WDW. He died long before it ever became a reality; despite the forced connections fans and the Company try to make between him and the property. Dolly is also beloved because she does tons of philanthropic work not just within the area, but around the country and world. Unless I'm mistaken, Walt wasn't necessarily know for doing stuff like that. She was a trailblazer for country music and he was a trailblazer for theme parks.

JIMINYCR

Don’t underestimate the fan loyalty of the country music fans. Dolly has been around forever and still is turning out music that’s popular across generations. Her park was a great addition to her home state and people and a way for her to give back to charitable interests. It added to her name brand to increase her popularity. Dollys still a hands on figure while Walt is to many just an image whose significance to the company is slowly fading by. Dollys presence in Dollywood stands out while Walt’s is hidden in the background and barely noticed. Dolly wins here by acres.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
The two aren't really comparable in my opinion.

Dolly grew up not far from Dollywood, so of course she is respected and revered in the park. Other than buying the land and sharing his initial vision of E.P.C.O.T., Walt really has no connection to WDW. He died long before it ever became a reality; despite the forced connections fans and the Company try to make between him and the property. Dolly is also beloved because she does tons of philanthropic work not just within the area, but around the country and world. Unless I'm mistaken, Walt wasn't necessarily know for doing stuff like that. She was a trailblazer for country music and he was a trailblazer for theme parks.

It is hard to say, really. We associate him as the theme park giant who built an empire, sometimes his charitable ways can be overlooked. And I will say myself I am not aware of how charitable he was either way.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I think I understand the question.... I have been to both.

Dolly Parton is represented a LOOOOT more at her park than Walt is represented at HIS park. From attractions to exhibits and the feel of the entire park, Dolly is absolutely the heaviest marketing in her own park.

But to be fair... Walt has been dead since 1966 and Dolly is still alive and running her own park. So I wonder how much of Dolly's presence will linger on by, say, the year of 2090.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster

Dolly Parton is represented a LOOOOT more at her park than Walt is represented at HIS park. From attractions to exhibits and the feel of the entire park, Dolly is absolutely the heaviest marketing in her own park.

But to be fair... Walt has been dead since 1966 and Dolly is still alive and running her own park. So I wonder how much of Dolly's presence will linger on by, say, the year of 2090.

I guess we can sort of do a bit of a side question such as who was more revered in their parks? Dolly today or Walt from 1966 or prior. Because there is something to be said that the owner of the parks is still alive and well and able to walk around and be seen.

So I think that poll might be a lot closer. Probably pretty even.

I guess the difference is that Dolly is a Tennessean tried and true. Even being as famous as she is she is still considered by people down their to be one of theirs. Walt wasn't an original Californian so much. He didn't grow up there, although he did live his adult life there and do all of his work there.

Cmdr_Crimson

Geee.. I wonder why.?🤣
d4adc9c4906c18cb825ada858dcd120bd36c0de6.gif

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Dollywood is more heartfelt because it's a case of local girl done good, remembering her roots, and bringing the benefits of her fame and fortune back to her hometown. And as others have stated, she guides the park with her own personal style, and personal lifestyle.

Disney, on the other hand, has become just another Big American Corporation -- soulless, beholden to stockholders, primed to crank out big executive salaries and bonuses at minimal expense, and do what it takes to keep the investors happy.

John park hopper

Country music stars (Dolly) know their popularity is based on their fans and they know without them they would have no success. Disney at one time knew this (many years ago) but they have lost their soul, now they have become a huge conglomerate of companies that take their fan base for granted. Their motto how can we squeeze the last dime out. This is evident by Disney's latest we don't have to strive to give you the magic because according to Disney you are the magic. Don't feel the magic that's your fault. Gotta agree with you larryz.

Last edited:

JIMINYCR

It is hard to say, really. We associate him as the theme park giant who built an empire, sometimes his charitable ways can be overlooked. And I will say myself I am not aware of how charitable he was either way.
Walt was a private person who wasnt eager to show off his charitable ways like some do. He quietly gave of himself to the things that interested him and he would give from the artistic talents of his talented artists and the studio as well. Most of the charitable works we hear about come from the surviving family members who gave in his name after his death. Now legacies by naming buildings, trusts and institutions are built in the names of the rich while they are living so they can show off how grand they are.

dmw

In the Parks
No
I think a key difference is Dolly is the main "character/mascot" at Dollywood. Lots of merchandising with her name, face, etc. (at least in the park). The actual characters (Benjamin Bear, Flit & Flutter, etc.) at Dollywood are not as easy to find around the park, compared to Disney characters. When Dolly shows up at the park (which she has done quite a bit in the past several weeks due to the filming of the Christmas TV special, there is almost always a parade and passholders go nuts on the forums trying to guess when she will be at the park and are ready to head over to catch a glimpse (or photo) of her. Oh, and a select few even get to see her at the Dreammore resort when she stays in town.

Walt, OTOH, never really was a "character" at any park. Mickey and gang are more popular and really the mascots of the parks. There is almost no merchandising with Walt, other than select items with Walt and Mickey together. Even when Walt was alive, who would people expect to see - Walt or Mickey?

TrainsOfDisney

I believe Herschend is the actual owner of Dollywood - they have some sort of license deal with Dolly.

I’m pretty sure Dolly owns the hotel and Stampede… hence the “Dolly’s Dream More Resort” and “Dolly’s Stampede”.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom