Need help w/ 1st deluxe experience - 1st on-site visit in a long time

TOTguest1127

Original Poster
Hi all! I have not posted since 2010. I cannot believe I remembered my credentials! Anyway, wow, so I need help. I have only been to WDW for a handful of day trips pretty much over the last 10 years or so. This is the first time I'm coming back with my husband and son and we will be staying in one of the resorts. It's also the first time I am able to afford a deluxe resort, so I want to pick the right one!

I always had my heart set on WL, and I am obsessed with WCC. But I love that Polynesian is on the monorail trail. And the Grand Floridian is the Grand Floridian. I have zero interest in the Contemporary and even less in AKL. Beach/Boardwalk/Yacht... Always intrigued me. I'm from NJ, so I wonder if it would be too much like "wow, it's like home, but clean."

My son is three, and we will have two days of down time (also suggestions on different things to do as right now all that's penciled in is pool and mini golf), so I want to pick the right place.

Thank you so so much in advance for all the help!!!

SteveAZee

I think staying in one of the monorail resorts is a good option... though there will likely be construction between the Poly and GF (new DVC building going in) and there's some chance of daytime noise (nap time) but I don't know for sure. If you pick one of those two, ask for a room as far away from the construction as possible. Monorailing to the MK is really the best, though.

The other choice might be the Beach Club. I like the ambiance more than the Yacht club. Stormalong Bay is really good for little kids. You'd be close to minigolf and can walk to Epcot or take the Skyliner to Hollywood Studios.

If you're interested in the 'home away from home' feel (such as having a kitchen, washer/dryer, living room, etc) then perhaps consider renting DVC points and staying at GF or Beach Club... not sure you'd get the value in the Polynesian bungalows, but that's just my opinion.

Disneyfan_76

We just stayed in June at the Polynesian. We've done a few of the deluxe resorts in the past, and this was our first time at the Poly. I was not terribly impressed with the accomidations for what we paid for the room. Besides Ohana, there really aren't a lot of great food offerings at the resort. Pool was pretty good, and it was nice seeing the fireworks each night from our hotel room. If I had to pick a deluxe, I would be more inclined to Beach/Yacht Club or the Swan/Dolphin. Beach Club would be my first choice just for Stormalong Bay. AKL is good as well, but it is so far from everything besides the water parks and Animal Kingdom. Great food though.

Raxel7851

We’ve stayed at most of the deluxe resorts and recently did a split stay at WL. We do like staying at one of the monorail deluxe resorts, but the WL was really nice. The boat ride to the MK was great and the food choices good. Plus the decor and resort ambiance wonderful. It just didn’t seem as fast paced as some of the others. We do enjoy walking to the MK from GF and CM. Lot of good opinions here though. We have stayed at the Epcot deluxe resorts as well. There’s so much to do in that area, and the walks to Epcot and HS are great. Let us know which one you choose.

G&CsMom

When are you going? How many days are you staying? Will you be bringing a stroller for your little one? Which park(s) will you be visiting most?

CaptainAmerica

I always had my heart set on WL, and I am obsessed with WCC. But I love that Polynesian is on the monorail trail. And the Grand Floridian is the Grand Floridian. I have zero interest in the Contemporary and even less in AKL. Beach/Boardwalk/Yacht... Always intrigued me. I'm from NJ, so I wonder if it would be too much like "wow, it's like home, but clean."
This is interesting to me. Usually the people who love Wilderness Lodge and the people who love Animal Kingdom Lodge are the same people. The resorts are extremely similar, but one has live animals outside.

FWIW, I'd rank the deluxe resorts as follows, factoring price you pay for what you get:
1. Animal Kingdom Lodge
2. Wilderness Lodge
3. Polynesian
4. Yacht Club
5. Contemporary
6. Boardwalk
7. Old Key West
8. Saratoga Springs
9. Riviera
10. Grand Floridian
11. Beach Club

I'd gladly stay at any of the top 8. The last three are the pits. I don't have much of a middle ground.

My son is three, and we will have two days of down time (also suggestions on different things to do as right now all that's penciled in is pool and mini golf), so I want to pick the right place.
From my experience (kids 7, 4, and 2, been going regularly since the oldest was six months old), I think you'd be better off with four half-days of downtime than two full days of downtime. Full days of downtime get boring by lunchtime, while half-days of downtime let you stay fresh and relaxed for the length of the trip.

dreday3

I think your child will be the deciding factor for you. If MK is the park you go to the most, you'll probably want a Monorail resort. Although Wilderness Lodge you can easily take a boat there.

Personally - we love Epcot resort area, specifically Yacht/Beach. I can't overstate how amazing it is to be able to walk, boat or now even take Skyliner to 2 parks. Great atmosphere in the entire area also.
Pool at Yacht/Beach is excellent, but people with little kids sometimes say they don't like it.
So many food options between Yacht, Beach, Boardwalk, Swan/Dolphin and Epcot. If you stay in that area, I strongly suggest getting park hoppers. Also, you are close to mini-golf! :)

We stayed at Poly in 2017, before the refurb. I enjoyed it because it was very nostalgic for me, but I really, really missed the Epcot area. I didn't think the food options were that great, including going to the other resorts. But the boat to MK was a big plus. Getting to the other parks wasn't as convenient.
Also we found Poly to be annoyingly crowded with people just sitting around waiting for 'Ohana reservations or to get in Trader Sam's. Like people sitting on the floor in the walkways.
Beautiful grounds though and now you can walk all the way to MK!

CaptainAmerica

I think your child will be the deciding factor for you. If MK is the park you go to the most, you'll probably want a Monorail resort. Although Wilderness Lodge you can easily take a boat there.
Obviously everyone is different, but I've never understood the "young families spend all of their time at Magic Kingdom" thing. We park hop, and in a week we go to Magic Kingdom 4 times, Epcot 3 times, Hollywood Studios 3 times, Animal Kingdom 3 times, and Disney Springs once. Spending 29% of our park time at Magic Kingdom has never been a compelling reason to stay in the Magic Kingdom area.

I also need to push back on a previous comment (not from you, from someone else) about Animal Kingdom Lodge. Animal Kingdom Lodge is not "off by itself" when you actually look at the map of Walt Disney World Resort. The thing that's "off by itself" is Magic Kingdom and the Magic Kingdom resorts. Assuming typical park habits (i.e. a family who doesn't spend 50%+ of their time at MK), you'll spend more time on Disney Transportation staying at the Contemporary or Wilderness Lodge over a week than you would at Animal Kingdom Lodge.

dreday3

Obviously everyone is different, but I've never understood the "young families spend all of their time at Magic Kingdom" thing. We park hop, and in a week we go to Magic Kingdom 4 times, Epcot 3 times, Hollywood Studios 3 times, Animal Kingdom 3 times, and Disney Springs once. Spending 29% of our park time at Magic Kingdom has never been a compelling reason to stay in the Magic Kingdom area.

I also need to push back on a previous comment (not from you, from someone else) about Animal Kingdom Lodge. Animal Kingdom Lodge is not "off by itself" when you actually look at the map of Walt Disney World Resort. The thing that's "off by itself" is Magic Kingdom and the Magic Kingdom resorts. Assuming typical park habits (i.e. a family who doesn't spend 50%+ of their time at MK), you'll spend more time on Disney Transportation staying at the Contemporary or Wilderness Lodge over a week than you would at Animal Kingdom Lodge.

We don't have kids, so I actually have no idea! 😂 I'm just parroting what I see others post because otherwise I would say Epcot area for certain.

CaptainAmerica

We don't have kids, so I actually have no idea! 😂 I'm just parroting what I see others post because otherwise I would say Epcot area for certain.
The way you do it is the right way when it comes to optimizing transit time. Yacht/Beach/Boardwalk are the clear winners, regardless of whether you've rented a car or not, and regardless of the weather. Riviera is slightly better than those three when the weather is good, but the downside of Skyliner closures in bad weather is a risk.

Polynesian is good if and only if you're staying in a room walkable to the TTC so you can get to Epcot without taking the MK monorail around the loop first. Grand Floridan and Contemporary without a car are the pits because it takes you 45 minutes to get to Epcot.

KaliSplash

I'd tend toward Grand Floridian if cost is not a factor. It's on the monorail and it's close to MK and the theming is so much better than Contemporary.
Otherwise, I strongly recommend Wilderness Lodge. Superb execution on theme.

TOTguest1127

Original Poster
When are you going? How many days are you staying? Will you be bringing a stroller for your little one? Which park(s) will you be visiting most?
Oops, the details! We are up in the air with dates, Late January to March. Yeah we will have a stroller with us (we don't love using it unless really needed). 2 days in the parks - MK & TBD, 2 days to hang out.

This is first time since being a baby. He is sensitive to crowds/sounds. I don't want to completely overwhelm him.

TOTguest1127

Original Poster
This is interesting to me. Usually the people who love Wilderness Lodge and the people who love Animal Kingdom Lodge are the same people. The resorts are extremely similar, but one has live animals outside.

FWIW, I'd rank the deluxe resorts as follows, factoring price you pay for what you get:
1. Animal Kingdom Lodge
2. Wilderness Lodge
3. Polynesian
4. Yacht Club
5. Contemporary
6. Boardwalk
7. Old Key West
8. Saratoga Springs
9. Riviera
10. Grand Floridian
11. Beach Club

I'd gladly stay at any of the top 8. The last three are the pits. I don't have much of a middle ground.

From my experience (kids 7, 4, and 2, been going regularly since the oldest was six months old), I think you'd be better off with four half-days of downtime than two full days of downtime. Full days of downtime get boring by lunchtime, while half-days of downtime let you stay fresh and relaxed for the length of the trip.
I just think AKL is too far, and idk everyone says they can't smell the animals, but the one time I was there, I thought I could, so I wasn't a fan.

This trip isn't going to be a true trip as I know it. It will prob be like that next time. More like getting his feet wet w/ big crowds/shows/noises/lights for now. I get what you're saying about the half days. Maybe I'll do three half and one completely free.

Thank you!

Last edited:

OneofThree

Although I'd say AKL is my favorite resort these days, I agree with you that it is probably farther out than you want to be for the trip you're describing. WL is wonderful, as is Poly. Poly is a step above WL IMO in respect to amenities (impossible to beat monorail to MK). The view of the Castle from Poly, GF, and the Contemporary is unforgettable. As far as Yacht and Beach, my experience is that it helps to be on that side on Epcot days despite what has become of the IG entrance. The walk to the Studios is a ways, and the launches can take forever back and forth. For me, that side lacks some of the magic of the Bay Lake/7 Seas Lagoon resorts.

Marianm

I have 3 kids. They are now 10/8/2. I’ve taken them since my oldest was 1 almost every year. Ours stays were at the contemporary/poly/grand. Once we did a split stay at AK.
I would choose either contemporary or grand just for the ability to walk to MK.
This trip we’re going to try the Boardwalk!

RememberWhen

My 3 kids are 10, 5 and 1. We’ve stayed at BLT, but Boardwalk is our usual. It’s fairly centrally located with easy access to Epcot and DHS. The bus rides to MK and AK aren’t bad.

When my oldest was about 3 we stayed at BLT. It was great when going to MK, but a huge drag going everywhere else. The bus home from AK with a sleepy, heavy toddler and a stroller was hard.

Definitely have a stroller.

Some “downtime” ideas: pools are always good. We haven’t done mini golf in years, but that could be fun. My kids like the Lego store in DS. The resorts (currently) also have scavenger hunts posted. You could head over to Boardwalk in the afternoon/evening and ride a surrey bike (those things are harder to manage than they seem). My kids also enjoy getting ice cream, playing in the arcades and visiting the different resorts (especially if we can get there via monorail, boat or skyliner). You can plan a character meal for your down day. That will take awhile and you get some food and some fun character interactions.

plutofan15

My two cents for what it is worth (which may not be much). Aside from Old Key West and Saratoga Springs, we did not stay at deluxe resorts when our kids were that age. We felt that aside from the ease of location to the parks, the deluxe experience was lost on the kids - which is probably obvious. Not sure if your three year old is still napping but a regular hotel room makes nap time difficult - same goes with an earlier bedtime for the little one. That is why we liked DVC resorts with separate sleeping areas. Any one bedroom DVC would work, which one depends on budget and preferred location. If it fits the budget and Magic Kingdom will be where you are spending most of your time, then the Grand Floridian, Poly or Contemporary DVCs would be your best bet. We like the Boardwalk/Beach Club DVC area for all the activities and location to two parks, plus you would be within walking distance to mini golf. If you are looking for something a bit less expensive, Saratoga and Old Key West are nice and also close to Disney Springs for more dining options. Neither are overly immersive in "Disney theming" but our kids enjoy both of them and the Old Key West rooms are the largest on property. I would recommend renting a car at either of those resorts.
Another place to consider are the Cabins at Ft. Wilderness. While not a deluxe resort, this was the favorite of our kids when they were between 3 and 10. There is a ton of activity at the campground - bike riding, camp fires, swimming, visiting the horses at the stable, archery lessons, boat rentals and many others. With all of that, our kids loved hunting for pine cones outside the cabin. The cabins have a full kitchen and separate bedroom for nap time or an early bedtime. Another bonus is since they are stand alone cabins, there is nobody above, below or beside you in case the kids are a bit noisy. If the budget allows, I would recommend renting a golf cart, it makes it much easier to get around the campground and our kids loved just riding around. Plus if you do rent a car, every cabin has a parking spot right outside the door. Just something to consider.

DISR

100% Agree with CaptainAmerica. You need to decide whether theme or location is the most important driver. If it is theme, then WL or AKL are the runaway winners....both places are breathtaking to walk into (even if you don't stay there, visit both of them if you can). If location is the driver, then BC/YC/BW are your best choices. I agree that YC is the best of the three. The rooms are the best on property, and it has balconies. Some folks think BC has more appealing colors/theme, but it will be of marginal impact once you are in the hotel and your room. Walking to two parks and being right between AK and MK is awesome.

I also agree that MK is the park in the middle of nowhere. It is funny how you never hear someone say Monorail resorts are so far from AKL, but you constantly hear that AKL is so far from everything else. I think it is the psychology that MK=Disney....the castle is the center of the universe.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom