News White Rhinos at Disney's Animal Kingdom get fitted with fitness trackers

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Fitness or tracking. A few years ago we were on the Safari at dusk. Good to see and hear lions but much of the wildlife is often moved to their night time habitats already.

Our Safari was stopped by a Rhino that wasn’t supposed to be out there at that hour and he wouldn’t move. Tour Guide radioed in to advise one had been left behind and also our truck needed assistance.

Fitness Tracker could have easily found the wayward fella.

disneygeek90

Fitness or tracking. A few years ago we were on the Safari at dusk. Good to see and hear lions but much of the wildlife is often moved to their night time habitats already.

Our Safari was stopped by a Rhino that wasn’t supposed to be out there at that hour and he wouldn’t move. Tour Guide radioed in to advise one had been left behind and also our truck needed assistance.

Interesting. When I did Savor the Savannah, they made it a point to tell us that animals are never forced to go inside. They are made the offer at certain times of the day with their special species "whistle," but are never pushed to do so. Perhaps they were in an area they shouldn't have been?

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Interesting. When I did Savor the Savannah, they made it a point to tell us that animals are never forced to go inside. They are made the offer at certain times of the day with their special species "whistle," but are never pushed to do so. Perhaps they were in an area they shouldn't have been?
No. The free area. Maybe he did refuse to leave but he was problematic.

floydbeatle

I just finished watching this show on Disney+ called Secrets of the Zoo (Tampa). I really enjoyed the show. One thing they mention is that any animal on the Species Survival Plan cannot be forced to do anything. Everything they do i.e. adding fitness trackers, moving inside their buildings, must be voluntary on the animals part. I think the Southern White Rhino has an SSP but maybe not the Northern White Rhino? Not sure, but maybe that is what happened with the wayward Rhino.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom