News The Gardens Course at Fantasia Miniature Golf closing for refurbishment during May 2022

jasminethecat

I think I should start writing a series of self-help children's books, like "How long does it take Daddy to pick up milk from the store?" and "Why does Mommy cry all the time except when Uncle Milt stays over?" You already previewed book #1, "Will we see Daddy today Mommy?"

Canceling my vacation.

To each their own, however I am always amazed anyone goes mini golfing on a Disney vacation. Do we not all have 5 courses within driving distance of our homes?
I really hope you didn't cancel your trip because I called out your golfing habits. I really didn't mean to make this thread personal for anyone else. Curse my wicked story-telling ways!

WorldExplorer

Mini-golf is cheap and you feel like you're still doing something and making the most of your vacation and not just laying around the hotel room all day.

Drop another seven hundred (food included) for the family of four to go on the park again?

Drop another three hundred (food included) for the water park?

Drop another who even knows how much on wandering around Disney Springs buying more crud?

Or...sixty bucks for mini-golf (they don't offer actual food, so may tack on ten bucks for everyone to get a candy bar). That's less than the price of a single one of those stupid oversized sweaters you would inevitably end up buying at any other place because your kid saw it on Instagram and so has to have it.

THEN back to the hotel to lay around.
Canceling my vacation.

To each their own, however I am always amazed anyone goes mini golfing on a Disney vacation. Do we not all have 5 courses within driving distance of our homes?
No.

ryguy

This is our favorite mini golf course. Both my boys are avid golfers, so we always found this course the most challenging in the Orlando area. My boys when they were little were crazy about mini golf. Any vacation had to include mini golf. The number one question I get from parents is how did you get your kids into golf? Answer: Mini golf.

TikibirdLand

How long is everyone's trip to WDW that they spend hours playing mini-golf? I can see playing if you get a beach house in myrtle beach for a week, or in any other area that's not WDW. Maybe if I lived in Orlando I'd give it a shot, or if i was staying for a fortnight and only had 10-day park tickets. But is the mini golf at WDW really good or is this something people just don't have near their homes?

I can understand the dads and grandpas who hate their family and play actual golf on their vacation, they probably only pack golf shirts and khaki pants and say "I will meet you in the park for fireworks at 11 pm!" Then they stand their families up because they got drunk at the hotel bar and blame the disney bus system for their absence. At the end of the trip they make everyone take a group photo even though everyone else was already in 1000 photos together and they only have mismatched shirts for this last day because *someone* got BBQ sauce on all of their clothes on day 2. Like how did they get it on the clothes they weren't even wearing?!? And they're happy to have this one photo to put in their office at work, so they can show their employees the great time they had taking their family to Disney World. It doesn't matter that they cannot name one ride or even one park's name, they feel good because they have a photo to prove they followed through for once in their lives. Follow through...oh yeah I just remembered I have a private golf lesson tomorrow during little Suzie's class play. She probably won't even notice.
Where did that second paragraph even come from? @jasminethecat , hope you're OK.

SteveAZee

Canceling my vacation.

You can probably make that argument about most restaurants at WDW... I have Chinese/Japanese/Mexican/steakhouse restaurants within driving distance of my home... why eat at WDW at all?

jasminethecat

Where did that second paragraph even come from? @jasminethecat , hope you're OK.
Totally fine here, but thanks for the concern! Sometimes I just let the filter between my brain and my typing fingers dissolve away for a while. I should add a sarcasm tag at the end of such paragraphs. Often you get me in my "social justice warrior" mood or my "batsh*t crazy" mood, and once in every 100 posts or so you get to see me be genuinely caring and mellow. But this post was #2 for me (and yes that was also intentional).

TikibirdLand

Totally fine here, but thanks for the concern! Sometimes I just let the filter between my brain and my typing fingers dissolve away for a while. I should add a sarcasm tag at the end of such paragraphs. Often you get me in my "social justice warrior" mood or my "batsh*t crazy" mood, and once in every 100 posts or so you get to see me be genuinely caring and mellow. But this post was #2 for me (and yes that was also intentional).
Glad to hear that you're doing well!

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
So all mini-golf courses are the same?

We have a couple six flags parks within driving distance, So I guess why bother going to WDW at all?
Definitely not. Didn't mean to fire anyone up ;). For the record, I ENJOY mini golf :)
I'm looking at the fact that I jumped on a plane flew 1500 miles and paid a minimum of 6k plus to spend time in WDW.
I am certain these courses are second to none, but I would rather be in the park that I (over)paid to get in to.

Whatever the difference between the 5 courses within driving distance of my house and the ones in WDW is not enough for me to spend any time doing it. Like I said in my follow up post; "to each his own"

ShookieJones

You can probably make that argument about most restaurants at WDW... I have Chinese/Japanese/Mexican/steakhouse restaurants within driving distance of my home... why eat at WDW at all?
ehhhhhh...come on. Not really.

As far as the quality of food, ok sure. And certainly the three types of food you listed for sure.
But I could EASILY argue there are a vast number of unique restaurant experiences in the World you can't find anywhere else.

ShookieJones

No kidding huh?

Wait...Are you saying I am geographically challenged, spoiled knucklehead from the congested North East !!??
I'll have you know I've been called much much worse!!!

In all seriousness though, I guess I have a little tunnel vision when it comes to this sort of thing. We're tripping over them around here, even only being able to fully enjoy them 4-6 months out of the year.

ToTBellHop

No kidding huh?

Wait...Are you saying I am geographically challenged, spoiled knucklehead from the congested North East !!??
I'll have you know I've been called much much worse!!!

In all seriousness though, I guess I have a little tunnel vision when it comes to this sort of thing. We're tripping over them around here, even only being able to fully enjoy them 4-6 months out of the year.
We have mini golf but we also have winter, which closes them for 6 months. And the Disney courses are much better.

ShookieJones

Definitely not in the UK. We always enjoy a few games during our time in WDW.
I am getting a bit of an education about the scarcity of mini-golf courses here today!

Seeing how many folks don't have these within driving distance let alone spitting distance of their homes is enlightening and does shine a bit of light on the sheer novelty of them to some folks!

Taking that into consideration I can think of a couple of one offs I've done at WDW that aren't necessarily uncommon to all that I did partake in because of the WDW location and novelty of it for me.

I guess I can sort of get the appeal.

Based on new evidence submitted by fellow posters.....I PARTIALLY retract my statement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Disneyson

I hope they restore some of the inconsistent effects (Chernabog in Bald Mountain, the water effects, and the topiaries). The worst part is how the actual gardens of Fantasia Gardens have been sorely neglected. They need some love.

WorldExplorer

That reminds me; is Jack-in-the-box Mickey SUPPOSED to always be popped up at that one hole towards the end of Winter Summerland ("not a creature was stirring, except a...")? Or is it supposed to open and pop up when you do something specific?

Playing through that course, I kept thinking "is there supposed to be an effect here?".

jasminethecat

This is one of the few threads where I can honestly agree with everyone here, except the posts saying "well if you have <food/rides/bathrooms> at home why do you need to <eat/play/poop> at Disney?"

I feel like some of us are blessed with decent mini-golf in our hometowns and I feel sorry for those who are not so fortunate. I did google images of the courses and I admit they look fantastic, and if I am ever able to get into WDW for a longer stay (longer than a week) I will definitely consider playing a round. That's my best offer!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom