News New Polynesian Resort DVC villas building to open 2024

ToTBellHop

What recent 15-ish story DVC towers are you referring to. VDH, BLT? Nothing else is within range of being a 'high rise'. The only example of a high rise actually being added to a resort without being high-rise based is Gran Destino... and that's on the hotel side. Apart from that I think we have to go back to Swan/Dolphin?

Is it mid-rises you dislike? The low-rises had their time, but they lead to a certain amount of sprawl that actually isn't that popular with modern guests.
If I’m honest, I prefer the deluxe resorts with covered walkways between all buildings (or just one building). My family tends to be happiest at BLT, Wilderness Lodge, AKL, Y&BC, and BoardWalk.

While I may not love the edifice, I’m sure we will stay in this tower if it has a gym, dining, nice pool, and reasonable points requirement for a studio. The walk to the existing Poly villas can be unpleasant in the summer. But they’ll need a QSR. Captain Cook’s is inadequate as it is.

Virtual Toad

What recent 15-ish story DVC towers are you referring to. VDH, BLT? Nothing else is within range of being a 'high rise'. The only example of a high rise actually being added to a resort without being high-rise based is Gran Destino... and that's on the hotel side. Apart from that I think we have to go back to Swan/Dolphin?

Is it mid-rises you dislike? The low-rises had their time, but they lead to a certain amount of sprawl that actually isn't that popular with modern guests.
15-ish so without nitpicking over numbers and to clarify, yes, I would put mid rises in that category. I understand some seem to prefer the more centrally-located amenities and limited walking these newer structures provide. But as others have mentioned, the other issue with these newer projects is the lack of theme and architectural quality/cohesiveness relative to their surroundings.

The original WL and AKL buildings are great examples of mid-rises that meet the expected WDW standard of quality. They are both jaw-dropping architectural gems rich in detail and theme and worthy of inclusion in the WDW landscape.

Many of the newer DVC projects and mid-rises, including the one at the Poly, fail to meet either bar. They're taller *and* more generic which is why they stand out as incongruous. If they didn't look so bland and cheap (relative to what we know WDW is capable of) their placement, while still intrusive, might be easier to justify. But in the case of the "Polyday Inn" you get the worst of both worlds-- a taller structure that's incongruous by virtue not only of its height, but also its lack of cohesive theme relative to its surroundings.

What troubles me and others here is that this project is part of an ongoing and disappointing trend toward the ordinary-- in what's supposed to be an extraordinary place. You should never expect to see mundane structures common in everyday urban landscapes at WDW. It's what folks go to WDW to get away from. Yet here we are. It's a paradigm shift that's fundamentally changing the nature and essence of the resort in incremental but irreversible ways.

In the Parks
No
What troubles me and others here is that this project is part of an ongoing and disappointing trend toward the ordinary-- in what's supposed to be an extraordinary place. You should never expect to see mundane structures common in everyday urban landscapes at WDW. It's what folks go to WDW to get away from. Yet here we are. It's a paradigm shift that's fundamentally changing the nature and essence of the resort in incremental but irreversible ways.
Look Up GIF by Sesame Street
Yes, this exactly!

Ayla

15-ish so without nitpicking over numbers and to clarify, yes, I would put mid rises in that category. I understand some seem to prefer the more centrally-located amenities and limited walking these newer structures provide. But as others have mentioned, the other issue with these newer projects is the lack of theme and architectural quality/cohesiveness relative to their surroundings.

The original WL and AKL buildings are great examples of mid-rises that meet the expected WDW standard of quality. They are both jaw-dropping architectural gems rich in detail and theme and worthy of inclusion in the WDW landscape.

Many of the newer DVC projects and mid-rises, including the one at the Poly, fail to meet either bar. They're taller *and* more generic which is why they stand out as incongruous. If they didn't look so bland and cheap (relative to what we know WDW is capable of) their placement, while still intrusive, might be easier to justify. But in the case of the "Polyday Inn" you get the worst of both worlds-- a taller structure that's incongruous by virtue not only of its height, but also its lack of cohesive theme relative to its surroundings.

I would add Riviera to that disappointing trend toward the ordinary.

UNCgolf

The Riviera?

BrianLo

Completely and I was not meaning to entirely get caught up in semantics, though people were using high rise technically too liberally. I did forget Aulani though, that would qualify!

I think my broader point is that "DVC" somehow gets the blame for being the issue. It's really just hotel design in general from modern WDI. It just so happens that DVC leads to a lot of the hotel builds at WDW

There is nothing wrong with mid-rise hotel design or even a few of the high-rise designs (Disneyland Hotel that is sort of grandfathered in and I personally think Aulani is great). I think that gets misattributed. I'd argue my personal favourite resorts at WDW are all actually mid-rises. Poly suffers obviously because it's a mid-rise being added to a low-rise resort.

But more to my point about how this problem is not purely "DVC" related: the Disney Fantasy Springs Hotel in Tokyo. That thing is an atrocious mess and it is all hotel based from a provider who is willing to spend money. They just can't figure out how to design hotels these days, even if some of the rooms are nice.

Animaniac93-98

The Riviera's issues really are not its height, the lodges are very well received I think, despite being in the same range.

Riviera's height is more noticeable because is so close to the rest of Caribbean Beach's 3-story structures (a byproduct of it being on a former section of that hotel).

Wilderness Lodge is nestled in the trees and doesn't have another building so close to compare.

UNCgolf

Is also a mid-rise. I know it's semantics, but it matters when the definition of a mid-rise is 5-15 stories and Riviera is smack in the middle of that range.

The Riviera's issues really are not its height, the lodges are very well received I think, despite being in the same range.

You're right -- it's shorter than I realized.

It seems taller than it actually is, likely due to the location.

lazyboy97o

Is also a mid-rise. I know it's semantics, but it matters when the definition of a mid-rise is 5-15 stories and Riviera is smack in the middle of that range.

Per code a high rise has occupied floors more than 75’ above the lowest level of fire department vehicle access.

nickys

Premium Member
Aside from the main restaurant at the top, are there other dining choices at the Riviera? We stayed there in one of their 3 bedroom units. I will say, the room was beautiful, HUGE and very well appointed. We had a great view of the lake and other resorts. Having the Skyliner was a plus that we also really enjoyed except for the many times on that trip that it was down due to thunderstorms. I recall no theme whatsoever at the hotel beyond a photo here and there, and some wrought iron details around the entrance. If not for that this could have been any nice modern hotel... Having no discernable theme beyond it's name makes it feel like we stayed at a non-Disney resort... It didn't feel like we were in the bubble other than the sporadic Skyliner availability. RE hotel amenities, there is a pool and a restaurant on the top and I don't recall anything else...it did not feel like a resort you would want to hang out in and explore...Like the Poly or the other Disney resorts....
We would not go out of our way to book it again...
it was not bad...the room was lovely... the experience as a whole was just ok.
Maybe not a theme as such but I found a lot to interest me. The library / lounge room is chock full of photos and memoribila, and two hallways full of photos. The mosaics in the tunnel through to the Skyliner. I loved the splash pad, nice to see Fantasia get some love at WDW. All of that is literally Walt Disney themed.

I also liked the style of the “formal gardens” around the pool with Primo Piatto (? Spelling) opening out onto it .I enjoyed visiting and spent far longer there than I’d anticipated.

That though is separate from the design aspect of say AKL, WL or the (original) Poly. I certainly wouldn’t claim the design of Riviera compares favourably to those resorts.

nickys

Premium Member
Sorry if someone already asked, but does anyone know if the new tower rooms are already in the DVC inventory for booking. We are planning an early January trip. We rent from a family member, he can't book until June. Right now only studios in SSR and GFV available. We were really hoping for Poly
No it isn’t.

They still haven’t announced an opening date or declared rooms into DVC inventory.

We should hear sometime in the Summer about an opening date, with sales starting November / December. It probably won’t open until Spring 2025. Usually it’s a few months from sales to opening.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
No it isn’t.

They still haven’t announced an opening date or declared rooms into DVC inventory.

We should hear sometime in the Summer about an opening date, with sales starting November / December. It probably won’t open until Spring 2025. Usually it’s a few months from sales to opening.

Did I miss a schedule change? I thought we were still on at a late 2024 opening? I've been looking forward to April/May teasers, May/June news, and Julyish opening sales to open tower in November/December.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Did I miss a schedule change? I thought we were still on at a late 2024 opening? I've been looking forward to April/May teasers, May/June news, and Julyish opening sales to open tower in November/December.

Within the last week, Thomas Mozloum said "And we’re so excited to offer even more magical experiences later this year with the openings of The Cabins at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort and a new tower at Disney’s Polynesian Villas and Bungalows."

nickys

Premium Member
This tower may very well be started and finished in less time than the Cake Bake Shop.

Yeah, I must have had the wrong timeline in my head.

But the timelines are getting shorter.

Riviera sales started in March and opened in December - 9 months.

The Cabins at FW sales started in February and opens in July - 5 months.

I can understand that one because they don’t need all cabins done to open.

If Poly Tower sales start in July and it opens in December, that would also be 5 months.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom