New Enhancements, Dining Options Coming to Disney’s BoardWalk

TDLFan

It's a modern trend in hotels where a while back, someone who's never worked in a hotel, felt the desk wall separated the guest from the agent and thus by not having walls makes the service more personable with the agent able to address the guests needs out in front, blah blah blah. It's all corporate bs nonsense, just like how they took the chairs and desks away from the cm's at Yacht Clubs club level. Corporate thinks this is a good look having the cm's standing at the ready, but the general consensus is that it looks awful and like they don't care about the cm's. I actually couldn't believe they made the club level cms stand there all day and neither could the cm's.

castlecake2.0

What is Disney's apparently hate for a row of check in desks? It's a hotel, there should be check in desks.

This "renovation" was just a total waste of money. Check in desks are not a problem that need to be fixed.
Speaking from experience, breaking up the check in desks into smaller “pods” makes it easier for cast to get out from behind the desk and help guests without having to go all the way around/ through backstage doors to get out to the lobby.

castlecake2.0

It's a modern trend in hotels where a while back, someone who's never worked in a hotel, felt the desk wall separated the guest from the agent and thus by not having walls makes the service more personable with the agent able to address the guests needs out in front, blah blah blah. It's all corporate bs nonsense, just like how they took the chairs and desks away from the cm's at Yacht Clubs club level. Corporate thinks this is a good look having the cm's standing at the ready, but the general consensus is that it looks awful and like they don't care about the cm's. I actually couldn't believe they made the club level cms stand there all day and neither could the cm's.
From someone who actually works in these locations, it makes things easier for the cast (front desk anyway, never had a role where I could sit)

Last edited:

UNCgolf

I think the long desks look better at most hotels (much better, really), but I understand the easier movement aspect and it's not a huge deal. If it makes things easier for employees (and guests, in some cases) it's an okay tradeoff because the desks are a minor part of the design.

Dr.GrantSeeker

Just checked into the Boardwalk for a quick weekend getaway. We are staying in a newly refurbished room. I will say I am pleasantly surprised with how they turned out. We have an oversized garden view room and it appears either they haven't put the desks in the room or maybe they wont be including desks in the renovated rooms. There is some awkward dead space since it is larger than a regular room. But here are some pics! Oh yeah the bathroom is exactly the same as it was prior, which is odd? Looks like all they added was the glass shower door.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 185
  • 2.png
    2.png
    933 KB · Views: 185
  • 3.png
    3.png
    870.3 KB · Views: 175
  • 4.png
    4.png
    843.1 KB · Views: 174
  • 5.png
    5.png
    983.3 KB · Views: 174
  • 6.png
    6.png
    962.5 KB · Views: 162
  • 7.png
    7.png
    991.4 KB · Views: 167
  • 8.png
    8.png
    897.9 KB · Views: 161
  • 9.png
    9.png
    871.8 KB · Views: 180

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Just checked into the Boardwalk for a quick weekend getaway. We are staying in a newly refurbished room. I will say I am pleasantly surprised with how they turned out. We have an oversized garden view room and it appears either they haven't put the desks in the room or maybe they wont be including desks in the renovated rooms. There is some awkward dead space since it is larger than a regular room. But here are some pics! Oh yeah the bathroom is exactly the same as it was prior, which is odd? Looks like all they added was the glass shower door.
It does appear as though there's (dead) space in one area only of the room, waiting for more furniture. Wondering if the furniture (desk, or whatever) hasn't arrived yet. Anyway, I really like the large guestroom space.

FigmentForever96

Ohhhh I really like it

Weather_Lady

It does appear as though there's (dead) space in one area only of the room, waiting for more furniture. Wondering if the furniture (desk, or whatever) hasn't arrived yet. Anyway, I really like the large guestroom space.
They may not be adding extra furniture to these rooms, just to keep things consistent with the regular-sized room amenities, although that dead space is certainly distracting!

On the other hand, it does appear that @Dr.GrantSeeker's room might not have been quite complete -- or else that there are intentional differences between it and a "standard" rectangular room. Notice the darker finish (I think, unless it's a photo exposure issue) on the coffee area/closet area in his second photo, with two closet sections. Photos of standard-sized refurbished rooms show a lighter finish, mirrors on the doors, and three closet sections instead of two (example below) -- so part of the trade-off for more floor space may be less closet space.

Fr_J60XXsAAdY9z.jpg

Attachments

• 743936-abf2acc1aca08b5987bc55dd9de33056.jpg
    743936-abf2acc1aca08b5987bc55dd9de33056.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

Rteetz

Holy crap! Could they not have just moved in and redesigned the interior? If they have gone all the way back to the structural steel, they are spending way too much money for a cake shop...shame they did not spend the time and care on the design for the Crepe shop in EPCOT...lol
The "tower" is shorter than it was previously.

SpectroMagician

Speaking from experience, breaking up the check in desks into smaller “pods” makes it easier for cast to get out from behind the desk and help guests without having to go all the way around/ through backstage doors to get out to the lobby.
I honestly cannot think of a single reason why someone who's job it is to give me a key and take my credit card would need to come out from behind a desk.

castlecake2.0

I honestly cannot think of a single reason why someone who's job it is to give me a key and take my credit card would need to come out from behind a desk.
Maybe a guest needs help with directions, help with luggage, maybe there’s no guests in line and the front desk host/hostess wants to be available in the lobby to greet guests walking through. Now instead of having to go through multiple doors/hallways to get to the lobby they can just come out from behind the desk. And if you don’t need any of that they can still stand behind a desk and take your money and give you a room key.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom