Bob Chapek's response to Florida's 'Don't Say Gay' bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

crawale

I could do it fairly easily ... simply don't discuss sexual orientation or gender identity with your students. If a particular student (or group of students) presses you on it, tell them that it's an inappropriate topic for your class and that they should approach their own parents with any questions they might have.

Done and done.
Excellent. Teachers should stick to teaching academics until American kids have reached a much higher standard in education than we have now.

Communicora

Premium Member
Another Disney employee has written a piece about Disney's reaction to the law. This one wrote it without a pseudonym. I wonder if there will be repercussions for him.

ImperfectPixie

Just so we're very very clear about where everyone stands... You'd be okay with that story being told to first grade students in Osceola County public schools?

There is no such thing as "Disney wants." Factions within Disney want to tell queer stories. Factions within Disney want Disney to be an agent of progressive political change. Bob Chapek's inability to stand up to these factions or establish reasonable guardrails for them to operate within has led to the ham-fisted handling of the entire situation and the ostracization of Disney employees and cast members who are politically moderate or conservative.
You do realize that young children don't make a connection between pregnancy and sex until they're taught to, correct? (And such education is prohibited outside of approved sex-ed classes, which parents are free to opt their children out of.) They don't see a pregnant person and automatically know how the baby got into their belly.

The LGBTQ+ community has just as much right to expect representation in media as everyone else. Ostracization? You mean feeling threatened because they aren't the only voices being heard anymore? The LGBTQ+ community has spent years being shunned, ignored, abused, and worse...is it any surprise that when they finally get someone to listen, they're very loud?

CaptainAmerica

Another Disney employee has written a piece about Disney's reaction to the law. This one wrote it without a pseudonym. I wonder if there will be repercussions for him.

"Any gay adult man who felt a kinship with that little boy dressed as Tinker Bell should be made aware of this: It is a very different world from the time you grew up—even from the world ten years ago. In today’s culture, that little boy would not be told it is OK to be gay; he would be led to believe he is ‘really a girl’. Across the nation and the world, gender non-conforming boys and girls are being pushed into believing they are trans. THIS is what is at the core of teaching ‘gender identity’, and it is a form of CONVERSION, just as contemptible as those religious groups that attempt to ‘pray the gay away’."

ImperfectPixie

The book 'Gender Queer' decpicts sex acts between a grown man and young boys and was one of the issues in Virginia. Does anyone in their right mind think this is suitable for K-3 - or indeed in any public school?
That book was in the libraries of HIGH SCHOOLS and was NOT part of the curriculum. It is also not marketed towards young adults.

Let's please at least be clear in our facts before we start further discussion.

Personally, because the book is a graphic novel and I've read about some of the pictures in it, I would prefer to limit it to public libraries that aren't inside public k-12 schools, and college campuses. I wouldn't label it as obscenity, because I'm sure (as stated in the AP article) that the book has it's merits, I just think not all high school students are old enough or mature enough to handle the material.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom