Random Observation: Walking Behavior Past vs Today

FiestaFunKid

Original Poster
I went to WDW every year from '81-'92 and again in '95. We stayed at the Contemporary every time, mostly in the main tower. During all these years, I can only recall walking back from MK ONCE - and NEVER walking to the park, despite the 3 monorail stops.

Now walking is obviously a prime benefit - and some happily walk from GF. Is this specific to me, or did behavior change? My speculation is:

- The monorail was cooler and more novel back then. I absolutely loved riding it every day as a kid (although I still enjoy it). It was also a bit more convenient w/o the security line/process.

- Although the 80s brought a fitness boom, it was nothing like today with people counting their steps, etc. My parents were avid walkers in the 80s, but we still didn't make the trek after a long day.

- Increased crowd levels driving up monorail and boat wait times...but it's not like there were never long waits in the 80s/90s.

- Is the path better paved and marked? I don't recall any signage back then - or seeing many people walking between MK and CR.

- Bay Lake Tower being just a bit closer encourages more walking.

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but when we had dinner reservations in France, we'd walk from Future World - but Italy?, we'd take the ferry every time. I've gone back with my family 4 times and never been on the ferry once!

Joesixtoe

Interesting cause I remember somewhat the same, especially the ferry boats at Epcot, we always took them. When we stayed at BLT we walked all the time because we didn't have to wait for the Monorail, and we liked the sights and sounds while walking to and fro.

Goof-Man

Back in the day when Disney really wanted to control everything you would never walk; Monorail was a way on controlling it. While they still have height balloons and check, walking destroys the presentation of the castle. While I personally love walking, it does take away from how it was designed.

vikescaper

We stayed at the Contemporary back in the early 2000’s when they we expanding Shades of Green and I honestly can’t remember if we walked to Magic Kingdom or not. My sister said that we did but I can’t remember. We are big walkers now so we will walk whenever we can. SoG to the Polynesian and TTC, Studios to EPCOT, Contemporary to Magic Kingdom, etc.

Disstevefan1

For solo adults who are fit, I guess you can walk from the resort, get to the Magic Kingdom for rope drop, spend 14 hours in your feet, walking 6 miles or so during the day, and you avoid having to carry anything, and walk back to the resort with no issues.

In family situations, there is usually the designated “pack mule” who carries all the stuff, probably pushing one or more kids, maybe a wheelchair, along with all the bags, souvenirs, resort mugs etc. Try spending 14 hours on your feet that way, in August, in the Magic Kingdom.

A vehicle to sit down at the end of the day is very welcome.

JIMINYCR

Whenever we stayed at the Contemp we always walked to MK. There was some signage but not as much as there is now, that came after BLT was put up. Walking for us at the time wasnt for fitness but it was getting us to MK faster without having the wait for the monorail to arrive. We enjoyed the monorail mostly to get to EP and to ride the circuit around the resorts, not necessarily to get to MK.
On our past stay at the Contemp we did see more guests utilizing the path than years before, so BLT has increased its usage.

FiestaFunKid

Original Poster
Walking from the Contemporary to the MK wasn’t an option in the 70s and 80s. The MK bus depot and walking path to CR wasn’t built until after the addition of non-monorail resorts in the late 80s/early90s.

This makes sense...There was no fence or anything stopping us when we trekked back then, but it wasn't encouraged.

Jae Sea

I went to WDW every year from '81-'92 and again in '95. We stayed at the Contemporary every time, mostly in the main tower. During all these years, I can only recall walking back from MK ONCE - and NEVER walking to the park, despite the 3 monorail stops.

Now walking is obviously a prime benefit - and some happily walk from GF. Is this specific to me, or did behavior change? My speculation is:

- The monorail was cooler and more novel back then. I absolutely loved riding it every day as a kid (although I still enjoy it). It was also a bit more convenient w/o the security line/process.

- Although the 80s brought a fitness boom, it was nothing like today with people counting their steps, etc. My parents were avid walkers in the 80s, but we still didn't make the trek after a long day.

- Increased crowd levels driving up monorail and boat wait times...but it's not like there were never long waits in the 80s/90s.

- Is the path better paved and marked? I don't recall any signage back then - or seeing many people walking between MK and CR.

- Bay Lake Tower being just a bit closer encourages more walking.

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but when we had dinner reservations in France, we'd walk from Future World - but Italy?, we'd take the ferry every time. I've gone back with my family 4 times and never been on the ferry once!
People counting their steps isn't part of a fitness boom....it's a way for people to pretend they're working out when they're actually using it to avoid actual workouts.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
We walk from Contemporary to MK but then back to Contemporary we either monorail if line is short or walk if line is long. At Grand Floridian we monorail to MK and usually only walk back. Boat would be first choice but we'd need to fold the stroller and that's a pain with ask the stuff underneath. If going to/from TTC I'd rather taken the ferry boat than walk.

We'd generally rather walk than wait in a long line or make four monorail stops.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
My random observation about walking behavior is that now - 80% people have no idea who/what is in front of them because their head is buried in their cell phones.

In the past if on occasion someone inadvertently bumped into you they'd say "excuse me" and we'd continue on our separate ways. Now they bump into you frequently because they're not paying attention to anything other than their smartphone - and once they do - they look at you as if it's your fault. That's my random observation about walking behavior.

Michaelson

Still laugh at the memory of walking off the monorail at Epcot and watching a fellow walking backwards talking to his cellphone doing a blog and running into a pole with a satisfying 'clunk', then disappearing into some nearby bushes .

Yeah, hard hearted of me, but he was more interested in delivering a live blog than watching his surroundings or the people trying to use the same walkway.

I pulled him out of the bushes, and he even said 'thank you', so he wasn't TOTALLY an idiot, but........;)

Regard! Michaelson

LvnDisney

We stayed at the Contemporary back in the early 2000’s when they we expanding Shades of Green and I honestly can’t remember if we walked to Magic Kingdom or not. My sister said that we did but I can’t remember. We are big walkers now so we will walk whenever we can. SoG to the Polynesian and TTC, Studios to EPCOT, Contemporary to Magic Kingdom, etc.
I'm with you, the walk from SOG to MK is actually very relaxing. Grabbed a coffee before leaving SOG, and enjoyed the leisurely walk to the MK in the morning.

Phonedave

My random observation about walking behavior is that now - 80% people have no idea who/what is in front of them because their head is buried in their cell phones.

In the past if on occasion someone inadvertently bumped into you they'd say "excuse me" and we'd continue on our separate ways. Now they bump into you frequently because they're not paying attention to anything other than their smartphone - and once they do - they look at you as if it's your fault. That's my random observation about walking behavior.

I used to chalk it up to WDW having a large number of international visitors who are used to driving on the left instead of the right.

JIMINYCR

It used to be we were all programed and encouraged to walk on the right side of a sidewalk and youd easily flow down your side as others easily flowed down their side. Now theres no rationale of where you should walk. Everyone believes they own the entire path and its your responsibility to watch out for them and get out of their way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom