Trip Report Honey, lets take the kids out of school - First December visit 2021

Hey hey! I'm Paul and I'm a long time lurker, with a few trip reports under my belt. Love reading all of your reports and decided to just get this pre-report trip thread started.

Last year my Brother In Law gifted us his DVC points at Riviera for a trip in December. Well, unless you have been living under a rock, COVID kinda put a kink in those plans last year. We decided mid June that we would cancel and try again for this year. My wife is an ICU nurse at the local hospital and we have taken this very serious from the beginning. Thankfully the girls were on board and we don't regret the decision at all. Our trip this year is from the 4th to the 9th, and will be our first visit during the christmas holidays. Something my wife has always expressed she wanted to do. Again we will be staying in Riviera and we are eager to see the resort.

With my wifes schedule we have decided to take our kids out of school for the week. They will be taking their chrome books with them to keep up on school work while we are away. The intention is to take mid-day breaks to tackle any work their teachers will be posting throughout the day. Might be a challenge, but we are up for it.

As a family we have only been once, and that was in the fall of 2017. My youngest was 2 going on 3, so she doesn't remember a whole lot. Since then I have been one other time with my sister and we were there only 2 days as I was in town for a conference. Now that I type that I forgot to post that report all together. DOH! Also, in October in 2019, my oldest daughter and I were in Tokyo, one day after Typhoon Hagibis. We did not have intentions of visiting either of the Tokyo parks, but because of damage to rails near Mt. Fuji, it kept us from visiting that area. So instead we decided to spend the day at Tokyo Disney Sea. Looking back I'm glad we had the opportunity to see this park.

So there is a little backstory.....

My wife and I

QzdRBoS.jpg

This year will be our 18th year of marriage. As I said before, she is an ICU nurse, and I work in the engineering field. She isn't a huge theme park fan, but does love Its a Small World. This trip will be my 23rd time to be in a Disney Park. I'm looking forward to seeing the parks during the Christmas season. I also have way too many hobbies, one includes keeping a nano reef. So visiting the Living Seas at Epcot is one of my favorite pavilions.

Lorelai

YPACLF8.jpg

My oldest and the sweetest little girl out there. Yea I’m biased. Lo loves anything and everything to do with Flamingo’s, Softball, and making people smile. She also has recently started to create digital art for her and her sisters teepublic site. If you are interested in seeing her work, send me a message. I wont clog the thread up with that. :)

Ella aka Eggs

A8jzZuq.jpg

This little angel is in her first year of grade school. She loves her pets, loves to dress up, and wants to follow in her sisters footsteps of playing softball.

We are headed out in 27 days! Hopefully no delays with the flights and a good week to be in WDW!

Please critique our days. Also looking for suggestions for possible dining.

Our plan is as such:

4th - Arrive and Relax at Resort. Possibly visit Disney Springs or most likely head to GF to check out the Gingerbread house.

5th - AK in Morning, park hop to HS.
  • If unable to score a lunch for Sci Fi on the 7th, hoping to get a dinner for this evening. No luck so far. :(
6th - EPCOT, afternoon break/swim, EPCOT in Evening and take advantage of Extra Hours
  • Was trying to score a Space 220 Lunch or Dinner, but have since given up.
7th - HS
  • May purchase Genie+ depending on crowds
  • Will purchase LL for Rise
  • Oga's for evening drink, and for experience.
  • Building Droids after Oga's
  • Trying to score a Sci Fi lunch. No success yet. :(
8th - MK , afternoon break/swim, MK in Evening and take advantage of Extra Hours
  • Depending on crowds may purchase LL for SDMT
9th - Checkout day, Beaches and Cream for Lunch.

Ayn

We used to take our kids out of school to visit Disneyworld too.
Always amazed us how fast the homework was done at Disney compared to home......
Studying College Life GIF

We will be there Dec. 1-10th. Hoping for some warmer weather but you never know this time of year. Have fun!

Penny’s Dad

Good luck on your dining reservations, just keep trying you may get lucky. We will be there the same week, our first day is December 5th and last day December 10th. Our dining reservations are:
Dec 5th Via Napoli for lunch
Dec 6th Liberty Tree Tavern for Lunch
Dec 7th Brown Derby for dinner
Dec 8th Be Our Guest for dinner
Dec 9th O’Hana for breakfast and Si-Fi for lunch
Dec 10th Boma for breakfast and Whispering Canyon for dinner

Most of these we got on our 60 day timeframe but added a couple in the past week by just continuing to look.

MickeyCB

Looks like fun!
Definitely keep looking daily for reservations, but I recommend signing up with Touring Plans. They have a marvelous reservation finder that I've had huge success using.

tehSAC

Original Poster
Really looking forward to your TR. We would love to experience WDW at Christmas, hopefully one year.

Well hopefully I will provide you some enjoyable reading. :)

We used to take our kids out of school to visit Disneyworld too.
Always amazed us how fast the homework was done at Disney compared to home......
Studying College Life GIF

We will be there Dec. 1-10th. Hoping for some warmer weather but you never know this time of year. Have fun!

Yea my kids are hoping for some pool time. I will be happy with 70 degrees and no pool. :p

Good luck on your dining reservations, just keep trying you may get lucky. We will be there the same week, our first day is December 5th and last day December 10th. Our dining reservations are:
Dec 5th Via Napoli for lunch
Dec 6th Liberty Tree Tavern for Lunch
Dec 7th Brown Derby for dinner
Dec 8th Be Our Guest for dinner
Dec 9th O’Hana for breakfast and Si-Fi for lunch
Dec 10th Boma for breakfast and Whispering Canyon for dinner

Most of these we got on our 60 day timeframe but added a couple in the past week by just continuing to look.

Nice list! I check multiple times a day for sure. Maybe something will happen. 🤞

Looks like fun!
Definitely keep looking daily for reservations, but I recommend signing up with Touring Plans. They have a marvelous reservation finder that I've had huge success using.

Yep I'm all signed up. We have used them before with success. Nothing yet for this trip though.

tehSAC

Original Poster
That is a bummer
For me it was two at TDL - Big Thunder was refurbing and I never made it to Space.

Max
We only did DisneySEA. However we did everything else in that park. 🤘🏼

My youngest wants to go to TDL when we have our special trip in a few years.

tehSAC

Original Poster
So I've modified ADR's. Still hoping for Sci-Fi on the 5th for Dinner, or Lunch on the 7th.

Other than that, the only ADR's we have are Oga's, Skipper Canteen, and Beaches. We did want to do Space 220, but I think we will snack around the world in Epcot, and bring along sandwiches for lunches the other days. Personally we are a snacking family anyway, and would prefer to maximize our time enjoying attractions.

We also have decided to cancel our Droid Depot Reservation, mainly because we found a Savi's opening during our visit.

Last edited:

tehSAC

Original Poster
This morning I added a 9:30 ADR for Boma, however I'm not sure about it. Mainly because we would not be able to park drop AK. Not sure if Rope Dropping AK is necessary for our trip. Especially on a Sunday. Our first couple of park days we are not expecting to Rope Drop. I don't feel RD'ing AK and Epcot is necessary. Please let me know if I'm making a mistake.

pkkurz

This morning I added a 9:30 ADR for Boma, however I'm not sure about it. Mainly because we would not be able to park drop AK. Not sure if Rope Dropping AK is necessary for our trip. Especially on a Sunday. Our first couple of park days we are not expecting to Rope Drop. I don't feel RD'ing AK and Epcot is necessary. Please let me know if I'm making a mistake.
Keep the Boma breakfast, just ate there last month and it’s fantastic. You will still have plenty of time for AK.

tehSAC

Original Poster
Keep the Boma breakfast, just ate there last month and it’s fantastic. You will still have plenty of time for AK.

Awesome! I figured as much. My family doesn't do much at AK anyway. Plus we get to see the holiday decorations at AKL.

Redhawk

Have a magical vacation! My husband and I will be there Dec 7 to 10 for an anniversary vacation, and in MK the same day as you. 🙋‍♀️ We've been in December once before and really enjoyed the holiday theme, plus got lucky with good weather.

tehSAC

Original Poster
Have a magical vacation! My husband and I will be there Dec 7 to 10 for an anniversary vacation, and in MK the same day as you. 🙋‍♀️ We've been in December once before and really enjoyed the holiday theme, plus got lucky with good weather.

Thank you! Hopefully we have light crowds and great weather for our trip.

tehSAC

Original Poster
Just a little over a week before we are back in Florida!!

Updated Plan

4th - Arrive and Relax at Resort.
  • If warm let the kids swim
  • Order Groceries for delivery. Snacks and such for lunches in park.
  • Bus to Magic Kingdom and Monorail to GF to see Gingerbread House and Deco
  • Bus from GF to HS and Skyliner back to Resort

5th - Animal Kingdom Day
  • Given up on Sci-Fi lunch for this day. Will just bring lunch with us and have snacks here and there.
  • Hop to HS and hop onto anything we can that has low waits.
  • Savi's appointment at 8:45 that evening.
  • Enjoy the park slowly as we will be there after hours.
6th - EPCOT
  • Boma Breakfast at 9:20. Excited to see the Deco at AKL
  • afternoon break/swim or hop to MK, EPCOT in Evening and take advantage of Extra Hours
  • Was trying to score a Space 220 Lunch or Dinner, but have since given up.
7th - Hollywood StudiosS
  • Will purchase LL for Rise
  • Oga's for evening drink, and for experience.
  • Building Droids after Oga's (Maybe)
  • Trying to score a Sci Fi lunch. No success yet. :(
8th - MK , afternoon break/swim, MK in Evening and take advantage of Extra Hours
  • Depending on crowds may purchase LL for SDMT
  • Dinner at Skipper Canteen
9th - Checkout day
  • Beaches and Cream for Lunch
  • Possibly visit Disney Springs
  • Flight at 7:50 PM

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom