Shouldn't Storybook Circus be its own land and not part of Fantasyland?

mharrington

Original Poster
Storybook Circus appears to be part of Fantasyland, and yet it doesn't feel like Fantasyland at all. It feels more like it should be its own land. For example, take a look at the American Midwestern-looking train station, whose sign clearly reads "Fantasyland":
fantasyland-railroad-train-station-entrance-sign-walt-disney-world-railroad-carolwood-park-clock-magic-kingdom-disney-world-635x370.jpg

That doesn't really scream "Fantasyland" to me. Compare it with the Fantasyland station at Disneyland Paris, which does look a little more Fantasyland-appropriate (i.e., European-looking):
5513584497_cc30e301be_b.jpg

What about you? Do you think Storybook Circus should be its own land or should it remain part of Fantasyland?

Animaniac93-98

Storybook Circus is to Fantasyland what Caribbean Plaza is to Adventureland.

Having it be a transition from Main Street to Fantasyland is interesting because the circus would have been seen as "fantastic" to a mid-western town of the early 20th century.

Especially for a place like Green Town, IL

1632694509621.png

mharrington

Original Poster
Storybook Circus is to Fantasyland what Caribbean Plaza is to Adventureland.

Having it be a transition from Main Street to Fantasyland is interesting because the circus would have been seen as "fantastic" to a mid-western town of the early 20th century.

Especially for a place like Green Town, IL

View attachment 589356

The only way to truly transition from Main Street to Fantasyland is through the castle. If you take the train from Main Street to Fantasyland, you have to make a stop in Frontierland first.

Sirwalterraleigh

The only way to truly transition from Main Street to Fantasyland is through the castle. If you take the train from Main Street to Fantasyland, you have to make a stop in Frontierland first.
So what’s your suggestion how Disney is looking to “fix” this injustice? 🤔

UNCgolf

Worthwhile is relative. It's got a splash pad for kids, Dumbo, and a junior coaster. If they replaced the tents with a CarToon Spin type of ride it'd have something for everyone.

All of that could be in another area that wasn't so cheap and mailed-in.

My use of worthwhile was less a description of what there is to do in the area and more an indictment of the overall theme/theming.

mharrington

Original Poster
Perhaps the train should sprout wings and fly to Fantasyland instead.
I'm just saying there's no way direct transition from Main Street to the circus. There's no need for sarcasm.

I brought this up because when I think of Fantasyland, I think more European architecture/scenery, not American.

BHF

All MK lands have varying sections within. Adventureland has Caribbean Plaza, as someone mentioned earlier. Frontierland has Tom Sawyer Island, Liberty Square has the mansion area tucked away in a corner, Fantasyland has Storybook Circus, and Tomorrowland has dated go-karts for some reason.

Karakasa

All MK lands have varying sections within. Adventureland has Caribbean Plaza, as someone mentioned earlier. Frontierland has Tom Sawyer Island, Liberty Square has the mansion area tucked away in a corner, Fantasyland has Storybook Circus, and Tomorrowland has dated go-karts for some reason.
On the one hand I'm sure someone is a huge enthusiast of the Tomorrowland Speedway or has such fond memories of it they want to take their kids to ride it someday. So I wouldn't want it removed for that reason....

On the other... goodness, forget removing the Storybook Circus, look at the Speedway footprint, imagine what could fit there!! 🤩

Animaniac93-98

On the one hand I'm sure someone is a huge enthusiast of the Tomorrowland Speedway or has such fond memories of it they want to take their kids to ride it someday. So I wouldn't want it removed for that reason....

On the other... goodness, forget removing the Storybook Circus, look at the Speedway footprint, imagine what could fit there!! 🤩

Storybook Circus and the Speedway combined would be enough space for a major new land.

MaryJaneP

If WDW got rid of the circus and the go-karts, imagine the disappointment all the grandparents would feel when they couldn't have their grandkids "enjoy" the MK like the grandparents did so many eons ago.

UNCgolf

If WDW got rid of the circus and the go-karts, imagine the disappointment all the grandparents would feel when they couldn't have their grandkids "enjoy" the MK like the grandparents did so many eons ago.

The circus has been there less than a decade!

I know you're joking, just pointing out that it even fails that test.

mharrington

Original Poster
I have this book called "The Thinking Fan's Guide To Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom". At one point, the book talks about the Great Goofini roller coaster, questioning how it fits into Fantasyland. The author has no objections about Dumbo, but the Goofini coaster is a little more difficult:

Clearly, there is more cartoon than fantasy in this attraction. Whereas Dumbo's flight and Casey Jr.'s self-animated railway require a bit of imagination to embrace, [the Great Goofini]'s story about a hijinksy plane could easily unfold in real life. Indeed, in the 1920s, it often did. The extent to which Goofy's flight goes awry (crashing through a billboard and whatnot) is a bit outlandish, borrowing from Walt Disney's short-subject cartoon films, but that's what we'd expect to find in the old Toontown, not necessarily New Fantasyland.

Admittedly, I wouldn't go as far as to replace this area, though, just break it off into its own land, separate from Fantasyland.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom