Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

JIMMYEDDIE

One feature which is good, but that I’m a little surprised they included is that you can see what’s available before purchasing. If the “good” reservations are all taken by on-site guests 7 days in advance people may see that and not buy. If they made you buy first you would be stuck with less desirable reservations. What this may avoid is the issue of rides that never needed fast pass in the first place being clogged up with FP users creating longer standby lines.
I think this is true......I think sales will slump because non resort guests at 3 days out will have little to no available rides to select from and they will not buy it where if it was Genie+ and it was day of they would buy it

nickys

Premium Member
I think this is true......I think sales will slump because non resort guests at 3 days out will have little to no available rides to select from and they will not buy it where if it was Genie+ and it was day of they would buy it
Considering resorts are at low occupancy levels right now, I doubt that those staying onsite will have booked all the Tier 1 rides.

JIMMYEDDIE

Considering resorts are at low occupancy levels right now, I doubt that those staying onsite will have booked all the Tier 1 rides.
Its not that they will all be booked, but if you are a non resort guest and the first available return time for a ride is 3pm, would you buy it if you wanted to enter the park at opening? I think its very realistic to assume that if the rides are not completely sold out that all the early times are taken

Is there enough value there? Would you pay $30+pp if you couldnt get on ur first ride until the late afternoon?

nickys

Premium Member
Its not that they will all be booked, but if you are a non resort guest and the first available return time for a ride is 3pm, would you buy it if you wanted to enter the park at opening? I think its very realistic to assume that if the rides are not completely sold out that all the early times are taken

Is there enough value there? Would you pay $30+pp if you couldnt get on ur first ride until the late afternoon?
It depends…..
It’s unlikely the Tier 2 rides would all be late times. So you could book two earlier rides and still be able to book another Tier 1 ride for later.
People have different park strategies.

JIMMYEDDIE

It depends…..
It’s unlikely the Tier 2 rides would all be late times. So you could book two earlier rides and still be able to book another Tier 1 ride for later.
People have different park strategies.
Right, that does make sense because you can book a Tier 1 ride after you use a Tier 2 ride correct?

Cariad

When you think about it, how much did they spend on the FP+? All those machines gathering dust somewhere, the new software etc, etc and how many years of charging for Genie+ and its new incarnation would it take to recoup the money. Not an expert on all this, but....

erasure fan1

When you think about it, how much did they spend on the FP+? All those machines gathering dust somewhere, the new software etc, etc and how many years of charging for Genie+ and its new incarnation would it take to recoup the money. Not an expert on all this, but....
Well, we are talking about a company that invested a good amount of cash to microchip soda cups and machines. How long will it take to recoup the couple pennies of extra soda that was lost from the guests that cheated? Unless it was sponsored by coke, I bet it still isn't close.

Disstevefan1

Well, we are talking about a company that invested a good amount of cash to microchip soda cups and machines. How long will it take to recoup the couple pennies of extra soda that was lost from the guests that cheated? Unless it was sponsored by coke, I bet it still isn't close.
Actually, I think they Disney gets the soda for FREE from Coke as part of the Coke sponsorship.

The chips in the cups is just another money grab.

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member
I'm just jumping in here, but if you book a package with a large dated ticket and then book your second room separately, then your dated ticket package should cover you for the duration anyway.
If it’s length of stay then you won’t be able to book for that second room-only stay until 7 days out from that date, even if you still have days left on your ticket. The system will see the check-out day and stop further booking.

I’m hoping @lentesta is wrong and that it works as FP+ did, recognising the second stay as continuing. Sorry Len! 😊 I think it all comes down to whether they use the G+ or FP+ code as their starting point.

JAB

This isn't true. It's just an urban legend, while I'm sure there are perks to the sponsorship, Disney is not getting thousands and thousands worth of Coke products for free.
They pay for it, and they can reserve 3 Coke products 7 days before their scheduled delivery. On the day of delivery, once they've used up one of those reserved Coke products, they can then choose one more Coke product from whatever the delivery truck still has available. 😏

Chip Chipperson

Thanks for the clarification.

The RFID chipped drink cup money grab IS JUSTIFIED :greedy:
If it makes you feel better, a couple years ago there was a software update that temporarily rendered the soda fountains unable to read the chips, so the machines would fill anything you put under the dispenser. Rumor has it that the person writing this very post witnessed a child in their travel party try to order a soda at a resort pool bar only to be given a free water cup instead and told by the CM that since the chip readers were disabled and the CM can't see the drink dispenser from behind the bar that this CM would have no way to verify what drink was put in the cup. The situation has since been rectified, bit there was indeed a time when the chips in the cups were useless.

Purduevian

I'm curious how same day park hopping is going to work with the tiers and everything.

I'm planning to have a park hoping day later this year with an AK start and an EPCOT afternoon.

Assuming a 9am AK opening, ideally I would book 9:30am-10:30am Navi, 10:30am-11:30amSafari, and a 2pm-3pmFrozen... however the current system will not allow that on prebook.

I am wondering if day of LLs can be modified for instance if I book a 9:30am-10:30am Navi, 10:30am-11:30am Safari, and a 2-3 its tough to be a bug, can I modify the ITTBAB once the park opens to frozen? Or am I forced to use 3 LLs in my starting park if I want to keep all 3 paths open...

Also does a LL booking window open up if I let a pass "expire" without using it? Can LLs overlap like they can on G+ or will no overlap be allowed like FP+?
If so I could book a 9am-10am ITTBAB and at 10:01am maybe I can book a tier 1 anywhere else?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom