Magic Kingdom Permit - Firework launch pads

EeyoreFan#24

Yeah, we are talking about it here.
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/magic-kingdom-permit.973726/

I doubt that Disney will keep the road open during an active launch, even with dedicated sites. What these will do is allow them to open the road earlier and will provide permanent infrastructure. Before, you had just a bunch of launch tubes set up in spots inside the MK fence line and used radio control to initiate launches.
I’ve been wondering if part of the reasons for roadway improvements and realignments will eventually lead to making this whole service area and perimeter road between Tron and Floridian way gated and backstage. It would have obvious security advantages, but also only effect staff with situations like this, especially if they become more frequent.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

They did talk about working on upgrading one off shows. But at the same time Disneyland has a spread out range of fireworks nightly and they close that road regardless as well as the rest of the area so many they will launch some shells or at least smaller ones nightly.

Tom Jones

Let's clarify a couple things here from all the amusing speculation by those who may not have actually worked at WDW or the pyro/FW team and/or may be new to reading drawings/ground plans. The new "pads" illustrated are not to be confused with "perimeter fireworks", which, as a former WDW Pyro/FW CM I can tell you we launched, (New Years Eve, etc), from 48' - 53' flat bed trailers parked around the entire "perimeter" of each park, hence the term "perimeter". (or as close a possible). As the new "pads" are in fairly close proximity to the original launch site behind MK, (the U shape between 101 and 102), they appear to be an enhancement/improvement/expansion of the current site/show. And yes, the road will close due to possible unexploded shells, (duds), and the required pyro fall out zone. This is a cute site, postings are often right, comments are often wrong. Either way, terribly amusing to read, thanks! lol

Last edited by a moderator:

cranbiz

danlb_2000 said:
Let's clarify a couple things here from all the amusing speculation by those who may not have actually worked at WDW or the pyro/FW team and/or may be new to reading drawings/ground plans. The new "pads" illustrated are not to be confused with "perimeter fireworks", which, as a former WDW Pyro/FW CM I can tell you we launched, (New Years Eve, etc), from 48' - 53' flat bed trailers parked around the entire "perimeter" of each park, hence the term "perimeter". (or as close a possible). As the new "pads" are in fairly close proximity to the original launch site behind MK, (the U shape between 101 and 102), they appear to be an enhancement/improvement/expansion of the current site/show. And yes, the road will close due to possible unexploded shells, (duds), and the required pyro fall out zone. This is a cute site, postings are often right, comments are often wrong. Either way, terribly amusing to read, thanks! lol

Can't find the original post to quote from but here are some site descriptions that have come to light.
  • C-104: Northwest perimeter launch point near an existing canal
  • C-101: A new launch pad near the existing main launch point. It is possible that this launch point will supplement the main launch area, which recently underwent upgrades.
  • C-102: This area is a backstage building and not typically associated with fireworks
  • C-105: This is a new launch point just north of the TRON Lightcycle Run roller coaster construction site. There used to be a semi-permanent perimeter fireworks launch point here that was lost to the TRON construction.
From my time there (yes, I was a CM from 2006-2011 but because I was a Bus Driver, I am a great rumor source and shouldn't be taken seriously), you had partial perimeter and pretty close to full perimeter launches. As pointed out, C-105 is a replacement for the old site that Tron has taken. I don't remember flat bed trailers but if they were low boys, I might not have noticed them, just remember the launch tubes. Many nights I was stuck either at MO7 or Pluto Park while driving the cast shuttle because World Dr was closed due to that launch site.
I believe C-104 is close to Park 3 gate and C-102 is right around the old RCFRD main station behind Park 2. This is probably an additional enhancement, like C-101.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
The new "pads" illustrated are not to be confused with "perimeter fireworks", which, as a former WDW Pyro/FW CM I can tell you we launched, (New Years Eve, etc), from 48' - 53' flat bed trailers parked around the entire "perimeter" of each park, hence the term "perimeter". (or as close a possible).
In recent years, the perimeters have been fired from relatively compact cages, nothing close to 50' trailers. I'm not sure they have ever used 50' trailers around MK.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
This is one of the perimeter launchers around MK, certainly not a 50' flatbed as @Tom Jones is suggesting above.

1624547659723.png

flutas

That's about the same size as the concrete pads shown in the permit.

Is it?

I have no clue on size for the current pads, but going off the last image posted the concrete pads will be 12'x12'. (since it shows x2 6' wide gates in front of the pad and they roughly match)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Is it?

I have no clue on size for the current pads, but going off the last image posted the concrete pads will be 12'x12'. (since it shows x2 6' wide gates in front of the pad and they roughly match)

The pads are 16'x16', maybe a little bigger then the one in that picture but in the same ballpark.

cranbiz

So, more room for Pyro??
Could be or it just could be for more working space to make it easier and safer to load the launch tubes.

It could also be something as simple as 8' or 16' fence poles are more readily available at this time than 4' fence poles. I say this mainly in jest but the lack of certain building materials (and the price of others) is very real right now.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Could be or it just could be for more working space to make it easier and safer to load the launch tubes.

It could also be something as simple as 8' or 16' fence poles are more readily available at this time than 4' fence poles. I say this mainly in jest but the lack of certain building materials (and the price of others) is very real right now.
Yeah, I think that would make sense. Access needs to be easy, and there are no doubt all kinds of rules and regulations that need to be adhered to.

WDW Monorail

In recent years, the perimeters have been fired from relatively compact cages, nothing close to 50' trailers. I'm not sure they have ever used 50' trailers around MK.

Most recently, a handful of 12’ trailers have been used to launch perimeter effects from areas around the park where semi-permanent sites were not constructed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom