News Disney PhotoPass and Snapchat create new augmented reality character experiences

Dan Deesnee

Like it or not, augmented reality will probably become a big part of the theme Park going experience in the future. And probably not too far off. Imagine all sorts of animated CG special effects on the Disney Castle that you can't see without your augmented reality glasses. Pirates fighting and shooting cannons in adventure land, ghosts flying around the haunted mansion. Stuff like that.

MrPromey

Sounds like dumb gimmicky crap (that I'm sure in the moment will be fun) that will look sad and dated in just a few years.

The examples in this article to me are cringe-worthy.

I wonder if the Purple Wall™ and other painted wall "experiences" or "activations" or whatever they want to call what was added in its wake will work with this.

The thing about Snapchat is, by default, it doesn't even save messages. The whole thing is intended to be more in-the-moment than something to treasure for a lifetime which is why it's okay that those AR effects are tacky and not superbly render and the effects have always been a (fun) gimmick.

It makes me think of this clip from Silicon Valley.

This also reminds me of all the little camera apps that came out in the early days of the iPhone. I just recently upgraded and was doing a fresh install of my apps and scrolled through a bunch of my past purchases including Hipstimatic and a lot of other similar apps where what it did was essentially apply "creative" destruction to images - everyone was doing it.

Today, I look at pictures I took that way and I regret it because If I wanted to screw them up like that today in Photoshop, I could with a backup copy but the actual real moment will never exist again and the original image without the then-trendy effects is lost forever.

As a fun throwaway, whatever. Feels like they're five years too late but that's Disney with everything trendy, right? I think people will look back and regret having stuff like this instead of the real images one day although I suppose nothing is stopping them from taking and saving both.

All that said, that they've actually got the audacity to put this behind an up-charge is just crazy, though. Like the Alexa thing, management seems to think their IP is untouchably golden and that nothing else matters, anymore.

Last edited:

MrPromey

This really should have been a free addition with the app update and 50th celebration. Everything doesn’t need to be tied into micro transactions 🙄
You know, for something that will supposedly be better than Fastpass+ because fewer people will be using it, it's interesting that they're tacking stuff like this, which has nothing to do with wait times, onto Genie+ to try making it more enticing for people to pay up.

Last edited:

THEMEPARKPIONEER

That is just wrong. That filter should not exist and any evidence of that castle burned. 😂 😂 😂
I was actually mad they didn’t do it again for the 50th. The only thing that bothered me about that anniversary was Remember the Magic being used in Fantasy in the Sky. People out there complaining about Disney Enchantment don’t know the struggles.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom