News Disney PhotoPass and Snapchat create new augmented reality character experiences

aliceismad

So they don't need real character meet and greets or fireworks or parades anymore. Just use augmented reality. Cut way down on overhead costs.

Seriously though, I think it's cute.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I mean its primary use is for underage kids to send p*rnography to each other, but sure I guess.
That’s a parent problem more than an app problem. Kids can also do that thru text, Skype, facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, FaceTime, and email. And they do. Snapchat is just more popular than those apps.

Parents are to blame. Not the app. That’s some boomer logic if I ever heard. Even if you aren’t one. Lol.

Gillyanne

I had Snapchat before, never really used it to send stuff, just to keep up with a friend who would send "updates" through it when they were traveling. I just re-installed it on my old phone. When I went to use one of the filters through MDE it mentioned something like "unlock for 48 hours" or "send to friends" (the latter I have none on there) so I held off on trying to play with it for now. Not sure if once you unlock the 48 hours that's it, or if it can be done more than once. I'll maybe pamper myself up this weekend and play with it...

AEfx

I remember when Disney used to offer real life experiences and immersion in the "magic".
Ugh, I hear ya.

They have made me so cynical, as soon as I saw the headline with "augmented reality" I had exactly the same thought.

The little "hold your hands together" and inserting in Tink that Photopass did was cute.

This just makes me go..."Remember when Disney used to actually build things and have real interactions you wanted to take pictures of?"

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Ugh, I hear ya.

They have made me so cynical, as soon as I saw the headline with "augmented reality" I had exactly the same thought.

The little "hold your hands together" and inserting in Tink that Photopass did was cute.

This just makes me go..."Remember when Disney used to actually build things and have real interactions you wanted to take pictures of?"
Why build actual things when you can just create “augmented reality” filters and spend about .1% of the cost? It’s what all the cool kids are doing these days.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom