News Monorail Orange refurbishment completed

donsullivan

Premium Member
Yes, the Tokyo monorail was very nice .. albeit not free
Yup, the Tokyo monorail is considered part of the public transit system just like the subway so you have to pay to ride unless your hotel includes access as part of your room fees. It's a weird quirk of Japanese law that also prevented the train from running around the park in Tokyo. If the Tokyo Disneyland Railroad had multiple stops it would have to be considered a public transit service and you'd have to pay a separate fee to ride.

Meanwhile, it's really nice to see the monorails getting the love they've needed for years during this down period.

jt04

Is the Epcot beam
Open yet?

No. My guess is after Poly station construction is complete. I know they don't connect directly but I think it would not help to increase overall demand on the system that is missing a major stop.

Soon though.

Disone

Yup, the Tokyo monorail is considered part of the public transit system just like the subway so you have to pay to ride unless your hotel includes access as part of your room fees. It's a weird quirk of Japanese law that also prevented the train from running around the park in Tokyo. If the Tokyo Disneyland Railroad had multiple stops it would have to be considered a public transit service and you'd have to pay a separate fee to ride.

Meanwhile, it's really nice to see the monorails getting the love they've needed for years during this down period.
to be fair, they did start the monorail refurbishments prior to the covid shut down. Also, it was a law in Japan, but no longer is, hence the Electric railway in Tokyo Disney Sea has two stops but does not have to follow a time table or charge a fare. They could add a station now if they wanted to, but I like Western River Railroad as it. It is nice just to cruise along for 10 minutes or so and just listen to the steam engine chug and it has some very cute and well done show scenes. I thought I was not going to like the Western River Rail Road because it did not go around the park. I ended up absolutely loving it, one stop round trip and all.

orky8

It’s been mentioned multiple times in other threads what it will take to reopen the Epcot line. Please do not divert this thread.
Seeing as it was in the article posted by WDWMAGIC, doesn't really seem like a diversion.... One of the things it takes is monorails, and this one just came out of refurbishment.

Bender123

Seeing as it was in the article posted by WDWMAGIC, doesn't really seem like a diversion.... One of the things it takes is monorails, and this one just came out of refurbishment.
Why would you open a that beam for less than half the hotels in the circuit? Until the Poly opens and Contemporary is finished, we likely wont see Epcot beam running again.

The number of guest rooms in the MK area just dont support it.

On topic, I hope these refurbs include a complete tear down and rebuild of the actual mechanicals of the monorails.

orky8

Why would you open a that beam for less than half the hotels in the circuit? Until the Poly opens and Contemporary is finished, we likely wont see Epcot beam running again.

The number of guest rooms in the MK area just dont support it.

On topic, I hope these refurbs include a complete tear down and rebuild of the actual mechanicals of the monorails.
Because they are short on bus drivers. Because I care about the guest experience (LOL, I couldn't resist, Disney doesn't). Because the monorail circling Epcot is iconic. Because right now the monorails aren't able to run at full capacity anyway so seems the perfect time to reopen the beam, get that under your belt, before the Poly/Contemporary are at full capacity again.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

Because the Orange refurb has absolutely nothing to do with the Epcot line. There are other threads where this has been addressed. Please use the forum search function to find them.

Monorail_Red_77

These refurbishments started in 2019 with Green, Black and Silver. Then in 2020 Blue and Peach. now in 2021 so far we have Red and Orange. It is interesting to note that in 2021 they have started to replace the silver louvered vents on the exterior with black fiberglass replacements with smaller vents. Personally I think the black vents look better and blend in nicely to the tinted windows. Also they started adding Deltas to monorails that previously did not have any Deltas. Personally I think the Deltas going on nearly all of the monorails takes away from them a bit.

Blue got a Silver Delta
Red got a Black Delta
Orange got a Black Delta
Black got a Red Delta
Silver got a Black Delta

I rode Orange on Sat the 15th. Possibly the first day it was out on the beam? Anyway in my car the new orange bulkheads still had dust on it along the edges which looked to me like it was left over from the refurb process. You can see it on the first interior pic of monorail orange about half way up on the left side.

Also I did notice that on Saturday both Orange and Red had no automated spiel playing on the entire route circuit. You could hear the pilot though.

Lastly, here's my listing of these recent monorail refurbs by train and year. Some might find this helpful. Listed in random order by year.

2019 - Green
2019 - Black
2019 - Silver
2020 - Blue
2020 - Peach
2021 - Red
2021 - Orange

silver vents
A60842DA-B112-459D-9DD7-F9F2D60CF7BB.jpeg

Black vents
4F8CF645-40CE-481E-AB04-0FB7EEF681B3.jpeg

2E59C96B-7BA9-4859-91EB-AED3D18974C7.jpeg

ED552A7D-4D5E-443F-B589-F3A7B982099D.jpeg

Here you can see the fibers.
0684DEC6-656E-46FF-8466-8BF643CEA7AF.jpeg

Last edited:

Disone

These refurbishments started in 2019 with Green, Black and Silver. Then in 2020 Blue and Peach. now in 2021 so far we have Red and Orange. It is interesting to note that in 2021 they have started to replace the silver louvered vents on the exterior with black fiberglass replacements with smaller vents. Personally I think the black vents look better and blend in nicely to the tinted windows. Also they started adding Deltas to monorails that previously did not have any Deltas. Personally I think the Deltas going on nearly all of the monorails takes away from them a bit.

Blue got a Silver Delta
Red got a Black Delta
Orange got a Black Delta
Black got a Red Delta
Silver got a Black Delta

I rode Orange on Sat the 15th. Possibly the first day it was out on the beam? Anyway in my car the new orange bulkheads still had dust on it along the edges which looked to me like it was left over from the refurb process. You can see it on the first interior pic of monorail orange about half way up on the left side.

Also I did notice that on Saturday both Orange and Red had no automated spiel playing on the entire route circuit. You could hear the pilot though.

Lastly, here's my listing of these recent monorail refurbs by train and year. Some might find this helpful. Listed in random order by year.

2019 - Green
2019 - Black
2019 - Silver
2020 - Blue
2020 - Peach
2021 - Red
2021 - Orange

silver vents
View attachment 558635
Black vents
View attachment 558636

View attachment 558637

View attachment 558638
Here you can see the fibers.
View attachment 558639
Enjoyed the pics!!! Thank you. I like the deltas. I've started to call them chevrons. Let's also include that lines was updated from white to navy blue.

I did not realize Peach had been refurbished. Are we sure on that? Maybe it's just the muted color but I don't think it looks great right now.

Regardless gold is next. It is parked in the refurbishment bay. It already has its silver car dividers ( accordion looking things) removed.

What do you call those things???

Maybe a little too cutesy for my tastes (Disney pants benches, Mickey head handrails). I guess the Japanese go for that kind of thing. But it's more like a subway in that you can go from car to car.
Its a good feature to have in any public transit. Allows forna more crowded car to flow into a less crowded one. Typically the middle cars get loaded more heavily and this allows passengers in those cars to slide down to the less crowded cars while the train is in motion.

Monorail_Red_77

Enjoyed the pics!!! Thank you. I like the deltas. I've started to call them chevrons. Let's also include that lines was updated from white to navy blue.

I did not realize Peach had been refurbished. Are we sure on that? Maybe it's just the muted color but I don't think it looks great right now.

Regardless gold is next. It is parked in the refurbishment bay. It already has its silver car dividers ( accordion looking things) removed.

What do you call those things???

Its a good feature to have in any public transit. Allows forna more crowded car to flow into a less crowded one. Typically the middle cars get loaded more heavily and this allows passengers in those cars to slide down to the less crowded cars while the train is in motion.
Yes Peach was done. It’s hard to see here through the window imprint from Saturday, but the bulkhead wall is peach colored. I found a better pic from back when it had its refurb back in July 2020 below my pic here. Like Green, Peach did not get any deltas.

The silver accordion panels between the cars, I call them bellows.

Another side note, as of January 29, 2021 Alstom finalized purchase of Bombardier Transportation.

4579B26A-4D21-4858-9BA4-4130A830FF7E.jpeg

D90C66C6-C1D4-4A23-91A1-D21EE719BAF1.jpeg

Last edited:

TikibirdLand

Yes Peach was done. It’s hard to see here through the window imprint from Saturday, but the bulkhead wall is peach colored. I found a better pic from back when it had its refurb back in July 2020 below my pic here. Like Green, Peach did not get any deltas.

The silver accordion panels between the cars, I call them bellows.

Another side note, as of January 29, 2021 Alstom finalized purchase of Bombardier Transportation.

View attachment 558767

View attachment 558770
those photos make me want to book the poly RIGHT NOW. However, with no shows (I'm looking at you, Trolly Show and BatB!), I'm gonna have to wait a bit longer. Don't be spilling anything on those nice seats while I'm waiting!

peter11435

Unrelated. But someone should start a petition for them to have Matthew Hanson record new updated spiels for the monorails in time for the 50th.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom