Any hints as to when Trader Sam's Grog Grotto re-opens?

castlecake2.0

I don't think there's even a Twitter mob upset about this. It's a manufactured controversy.

I think Disney has discovered that if it claims it's making changes because of [imaginary] widespread political correctness "objections," it can justify decisions that would otherwise be uniformly disliked, and can obfuscate the real reason for those changes (its own financial gain or convenience).

That's not to say that some of the changes made in the name of toning down offensive content (e.g., the POTC wench-chasing) haven't been made in response to legitimate and repeated criticism, but it appears Disney is now using the "somebody complained, so we have to do this" excuse as a pretext for every unpopular decision, whether it's accurate or not.
Disney isn’t making an excuse, nor does it have to, to make any changes like this. They could turn the restaurant back into an arcade if they want. It’s their space to what they want with. Or maybe they thought “would this bar be appropriate if we put it in Aulani? Probably not, so maybe we should rethink the story we want to tell here.” Disney isnt just doing this for fun to waste money, they’re trying to be respectful of the stories they’re telling.

Acousticpharm

Traders Sams at disneyland resort is one of my favorite places in CA. I'm finally going to disneyworld for the first time in my life and their version is closed!!! I will lose it if they permanently close it. 🥶

Sharon&Susan

California Trader Sam's is reopening with the Disneyland Hotel, so I see no reason why this won't either once they're done with the refurbishment of the rest of the Polynesian.

DoleWhipDrea

Original Poster
If it is indeed being changed, now is the time I suppose with the changes happening to the Poly. More than anything else, I would appreciate it if Disney could make the space larger to accommodate more parties.

I just want that Nautilus mug.

jrlbc06

I dropped by last Sunday. Signage on the door is back but it's still closed, as is a lot of stuff at the Poly as they continue the refurb.
The ************** story about it closing/tetheming is possibly clickbait garbage.
The sign on the door was never removed. It was the hours and other sign posted to the side of the door.

Beacon Joe

Sitting there now just killing time since the parks are such a disaster . TS line is around past Capt Cooks just to get on the buzzer wait list.

Which perfectly sums up the parks this week.
Edit: that was about 1:20 and it stretched down to the Minnie glass display window. 20 minutes later it just stretches just 2 or 3 people beyond the Capt Cooks door. Lol.

Last edited:

JohnD

Wouldn't it be great if Trader Sam were installed here? Unfortunately, he's now taboo (see what I there?), so his AA was probably destroyed.

Beacon Joe

Definitely regaining their sea legs. The lanai and outdoor walkup bar is running strong and behind. But I got good and drunk on mai tais even though I couldn’t get into the actual tiki bar. Now back to magic kingdom to... not actually get to ride anything because half the park is down and all the lines suck. But at least I’m plastered so it’ll be fun.

Communicora

Premium Member
Definitely regaining their sea legs. The lanai and outdoor walkup bar is running strong and behind. But I got good and drunk on mai tais even though I couldn’t get into the actual tiki bar. Now back to magic kingdom to... not actually get to ride anything because half the park is down and all the lines suck. But at least I’m plastered so it’ll be fun.
I'm glad you got your mai tais! I hope you have a blast at MK.

ppete1975

when you do that, can you still get tiki glasses? I ask because when i come on my vacation next year, im afraid since its such a small place i might not get in. Id be fine just getting a drink and tiki glass if thats the worst case scenario.

Beacon Joe

when you do that, can you still get tiki glasses? I ask because when i come on my vacation next year, im afraid since its such a small place i might not get in. Id be fine just getting a drink and tiki glass if thats the worst case scenario.
Yes! They asked. But by default every drink is served in plastic cups. My son (had a virgin mocktail) did think that the drink sizes were larger inside. Ymmv

fngoofy

Technically they are Hipo-poto-mai-tais.

dreamfinder

Yup. Your receipt shows that you paid for the mug, and then you take it to/show it to the CM at the stand. They stamp the receipt so you can't use it twice, and give you the mug all boxed up. If the weather is nice, it's definitely more relaxing outside.

ppete1975

Yup. Your receipt shows that you paid for the mug, and then you take it to/show it to the CM at the stand. They stamp the receipt so you can't use it twice, and give you the mug all boxed up. If the weather is nice, it's definitely more relaxing outside.
you made my day :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom