Thinking about a 2022 trip with two little ones. When would you go?

PSM

My wife and I want to take our two sons to WDW together for the first time in 2022. The three year old has been twice - once for his first birthday and once about a year later, so he obviously doesn't remember it - and the other one is currently nine months old.

If we wait until the older one's next birthday, it would be a February 2022 trip when he turns four, and the younger one would be 20 months.

If we wait until the younger one's birthday next year, it would be a June 2022 trip when he turns two, and the older one would be closer to 4 1/2.

Half of me likes the idea of them being as old as possible, and waiting until June instead of February could actually make a significant difference with the little one being four months older. Four months is a big deal when they're under two, and even the older one being four months older can make a difference, as well.

We've also celebrated the older one's birthday there once but obviously not the younger one's yet, so it's tempting to lean toward June in order to have celebrated each of their birthdays at WDW.

That said, the other half of me likes the idea of going before school gets out (if we don't go during winter break in February, of course), and I also like the idea of not going in the summer, as the summer heat and humidity in Florida is just one more variable that can make it difficult with very little kids. But...not really pool weather, and we do like the pools, so it's a bit of give and take either way.

What would you do and why?

Figgy1

Premium Member
Just me but I would do June. You're probably going to take a pool break and the younger child will be able to do a lot more. Lots of water and breaks and it's more than doable.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Since you know you want to avoid the hot summer times, the school vacation weeks, and knowing that waiting til they are older might make a difference... I'd say try the end of May. The weather is nice, not overly humid, hot enough for pools, youll get in on the F&G festival, and youll add more time in. Youll have plenty of years to get birthday trips in when they are older and more able to enjoy the park attractions. At this point do what will make your trip back more convenient and easier on you.

Upvote 0

bigorangeandy

I would go in February, the crowds will be lower. As your children grow older and they are in school, you will likely be limited to the summer break so they will get there fill of summer trips. Unless the weather is very cold for Florida, the pools should be open (and they are heated) and the kids can enjoy the pool. Thinking back to our kids they didn't mind if it was cool, they just wanted to go to the pool.
I also think that the summer of 2022 will see higher crowds with the 50th celebration still continuing, and more people traveling with Covid hopfully in the rearview mirror.

Upvote 0

jaklgreen

I would not look at it in terms of "going for a birthday", but go when it is the best time of year for you. We would keep our vacations separate from any personal celebrations. Having raised 2 kids, I can tell you that you really don't want to hear "well for his birthday, you took him to WDW but not me" every year. LOL When our kids where little, we went in September, right after labor day. It was still extremely hot, but it was dead and that made for a better trip for us. If your work schedule is flexible, take advantage of the slower times while the kids are still young enough to not have to worry about school. A few months makes zero difference in the child's ability to enjoy the trip, especially at that age.

Upvote 0

Tom 55

We took our grandson to Disney World when he was 3 1/2 -2008, 4 1/2 - 2009 and 7 1/2 -2012. Our next trip was in 2019 with our now 14 year old grandson. During this trip he told us that he does not remember the previous trips. This is a kid that scores in the top 1% in the standard test the school require. I was showing him pictures from the previous trips and he did not remember any of it. He said the 2019 trip will be the one he remembers for the rest of his life. He may not remember but I do. So I have all those memories. It is not as important that your kids remember the trip it is important that you remember.

Upvote 0

G00fyDad

We took our son to WDW when he was 2 (daughter was 10) and although he does not necessarily remember it he had a blast while he was there. I say go in Feb when it is cooler and maybe not quite as crowded. Then go again a year or two later.

Upvote 0

JohnD

If you can wait an additional month, I would choose the first week in March. The weather is nicer, crowds are still low before Spring Break / Easter and the Flower and Garden Festival usually starts the first Wednesday in March.

Upvote 0

aliceismad

I'd agree with the suggestion to go in May if you can swing it then. Lower crowds, nice weather. Flower and Garden time. Hot enough for pools but not outrageously hot. Less rain than June.

Upvote 0

DISR

Don't know how flexible you are on the 2022 dates, but I would consider early to mid Dec 2021 or the same timeframe in 2022 if you want the kids to be older. I hesitate to say off-peak, since crowds seem to pop up at virtually any time now, but generally early Dec is not the most crowded time of year. The Christmas decorations are really special and it is much easier to experience that now than when the kids are more committed to school and other related activities. Weather is a bit of a gamble...you could easily be in hat and gloves or swimming in the pool...that is just the nature of winter in FL. You will not be sweltering though...with young ones that is nice.

Upvote 0

WEDYENSID

Best time to go, is when you and your wife will have the best time - and be most comfortable. Your kids won't remember any of the trip, so it's all about you. My brother and many of my friends took their kids when they were under 10, and none of them remember anything about the trip, for the most part. I started taking my daughters when they were 9 and 11, for 11 straight years, and they remember more than I do about the trips :)

Upvote 0

PSM

Original Poster
Don't know how flexible you are on the 2022 dates, but I would consider early to mid Dec 2021 or the same timeframe in 2022 if you want the kids to be older. I hesitate to say off-peak, since crowds seem to pop up at virtually any time now, but generally early Dec is not the most crowded time of year. The Christmas decorations are really special and it is much easier to experience that now than when the kids are more committed to school and other related activities. Weather is a bit of a gamble...you could easily be in hat and gloves or swimming in the pool...that is just the nature of winter in FL. You will not be sweltering though...with young ones that is nice.
I'll say something that's likely to be controversial, but...I prefer not to visit when Disney is celebrating Christmas.

I know, I know. Everyone loves it and it's so magical. Just not for me. I hate hearing the same pop Christmas covers that I hear all day long on my commute to work or at the mall doing stressful holiday shopping when I'm finally at the parks. It's Christmas magical, but not Disney magical to me.

When I'm spending the time and money I have to for a Disney World trip, I want to be all in on the Disney magic, not celebrating something I celebrate anyway when I'm at home.

All that said, give me a free trip to Disney during the holidays and I'm all in. LOL

Upvote 0

Ghostdog

The Summer heat + toddler tantrums (it’s going to happen) = no fun!

I would go when the weather is nice (March or October) not HOT (June-September).

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom