Disney Cruise Line announces Summer 2022 itineraries

jaklgreen

I'll be very surprised if there are any serve-yourself buffets when cruising first returns. Maybe after a year or two of not having any Covid outbreaks, they'll come back. But I think when most of us take our next cruise, a crew member will serve us at the traditionally buffet restaurants.

It's not just about serving yourself at the buffet. Everyone should wash their hands right before they eat anyway. It is really gross to go about your day touching things, your shoes, doors, etc, and then picking up food with your hands. That is how the majority of people get sick. I have worked in food for decades and a very small amount of people actually wash their hand before they eat. We always order our food, then go and wash our hands before we touch any food. That is why I hate bathrooms with the air dryers instead of paper towels. We use the paper towels to open the door. The amount of illnesses that can be reduced if everyone was just wash their hands before touching food would be dramatic.

ToTBellHop

It's not just about serving yourself at the buffet. Everyone should wash their hands right before they eat anyway. It is really gross to go about your day touching things, your shoes, doors, etc, and then picking up food with your hands. That is how the majority of people get sick. I have worked in food for decades and a very small amount of people actually wash their hand before they eat. We always order our food, then go and wash our hands before we touch any food. That is why I hate bathrooms with the air dryers instead of paper towels. We use the paper towels to open the door. The amount of illnesses that can be reduced if everyone was just wash their hands before touching food would be dramatic.
They need the Oceaneer’s Club sinks at every restaurant.

ChuckElias

It's not just about serving yourself at the buffet. Everyone should wash their hands right before they eat anyway.

I agree 100%. But I referring to the fact that cruise ships typically stop allowing people to serve themselves at buffets when there is a virus issue running through a ship, usually a norovirus incident. And now, we've also seen at least one cruise line announce that they will not have self-serve food stations when they resume operations. I'm also pretty sure that MSC and Costa did not allow self-service when they resumed in Europe over the summer.

My grandmother was born at the end of the Spanish Flu pandemic and was fanatical about washing hands. So I kind of have that drilled into my head since I was about 3 years old.

jaklgreen

I agree 100%. But I referring to the fact that cruise ships typically stop allowing people to serve themselves at buffets when there is a virus issue running through a ship, usually a norovirus incident. And now, we've also seen at least one cruise line announce that they will not have self-serve food stations when they resume operations. I'm also pretty sure that MSC and Costa did not allow self-service when they resumed in Europe over the summer.

My grandmother was born at the end of the Spanish Flu pandemic and was fanatical about washing hands. So I kind of have that drilled into my head since I was about 3 years old.

I fear that, because people will not be serving themselves anymore, that they will get even more complacent in the food areas. I have seen many on the cruise not want to wash their hands going into cabanas because they just don't feel like they should wash their hands. It boggles the mind how so many are able to pick up food with their hands without washing their hands first. I really don't care if people make themselves sick normally, but on a cruise ship, it can spread so easily. I would love to see hand washing stations all over the ship, especially at all food places like the area by the pool where they have the counter service food.

jaklgreen

Upsetting, but probably true: Cabanas will be QS or table service. Buffets are done.
Or it will still be a buffet but they serve you instead. So basically cafeteria style. I am OK with that. People are disgusting, not to mention the amount of parents who let their little kids grab the food when they don't understand how to properly handle the utensils. I am all for letting kids learn how to do things themselves, but a buffet on a cruise ship should not be one of those places.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Except for the soft serve ice cream machine and soft drink dispensers, I can't remember the last time I served myself on a cruise. There were always staff on the other side of the buffet that would fill your plate. [Holland America & Royal Caribbean]

SplashJacket

Except for the soft serve ice cream machine and soft drink dispensers, I can't remember the last time I served myself on a cruise. There were always staff on the other side of the buffet that would fill your plate. [Holland America & Royal Caribbean]
Exactly. A lot of places do this. All that matters in a buffet is that food is free-flowing and immedietly accessible, not that you have to scoop food from a platter to your plate.

ToTBellHop

Want to get that 4th of July weekend Dream itinerary but have to wait til Wednesday morning. Pricing seems reasonable. Prices noticeably lower with the move to Miami. I can only imagine what they’ll want for Wish (and my 125% FCC doesn’t count toward Wish, so Disney made the decision for me!).

DCLcruiser

Finally booked!!! Trying out a verandah for the first time and from pictures I'm finding online the verandah is HUGE in this room. Hope my son doesn't jump off the ship!
Well, say goodbye to ever cruising w/o a verandah. It's addictive.

On a Bahamas cruise we had an inside room and our neighbor flooded us, so we got upgraded to a verandah. We've never looked back haha.

ToTBellHop

Well, say goodbye to ever cruising w/o a verandah. It's addictive.

On a Bahamas cruise we had an inside room and our neighbor flooded us, so we got upgraded to a verandah. We've never looked back haha.
I actually considered booking an interior (the magical portholes are cool) for this cruise but then they dangled that extra 10% off in front of me and I was like, “you only live once!”

SplashJacket

I actually considered booking an interior (the magical portholes are cool) for this cruise but then they dangled that extra 10% off in front of me and I was like, “you only live once!”
The price difference usually isn't that extreme on the dream class ships, but the Magic class ships have a lot more inside statements proportionally, so they're generally substantially cheaper than their verandah counterparts, which is a shame because sitting on your verandah while sailing into European ports is an amazing experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom