News New Changes Coming to the Disney Look 2021

DisneyHead123

Striking at Disney means you will get fired.
More a general musing than Disney specific… I have read before that their worker’s unions don’t have much sway.

AI sadly is the future of getting some staff replaced nationwide.

My take is that people have said this about every technological innovation. And in the end, some jobs are replaced and some are created as new industries emerge.

Brian

there really isn’t an annual raise for CM’s?
For those in union roles (virtually all costumed front line cast), they all make the same amount. They are currently receiving annual raises based on the current CBA, but length of service is not a factor in compensation, except in very limited circumstances for those grandfathered in.

Whether you have been there for 15 years or 15 days, and whether you go above and beyond or the bare minimum, you make the same amount. A major disadvantage of collective bargaining, IMHO.

Tony the Tigger

Not really. Which is why unions allow pay scales... and nearly every public sector job does as well. Which are the most labor first environments you will have out there.

I imagine you don't actually have a say in any real company business in this regard because nothing you keep preaching about matches actual business at scale for the kind of roles we are talking about.

Yes, turnover is expensive, but know what's more expensive? Over paying wages in perpetuity. Which is why a company will accept a reasonable rate of turnover rather than trying to bribe every employee to stay.

MATH. If a position sells $30/hr of goods.. I can't afford to pay someone $20/hr to staff that position.

Positions that are pure overhead are an expense that if it destroys my net margin, I have no purpose and no ability to sustain my business. So what will I do? I will reduce expenses.

Job pay is not independent of your business' revenue and expense model. It's very much part of it... and why your payroll is structured around the ROLES you have and you determine what you can afford independently of WHO you hire.

It is - especially in the low skill labor market being addressed here. It's how employers in both the public and private sector work. It's why there is such a thing as 'pay bands', and specific job titles and descriptions. These are not made up - it's how the world works for vast swaths of the job market. Even in white collar jobs... just there, there tends to be more leaway to rank and employee because the pay bands tend to be wider.

Employers make tough decisions all the time about employees because unlike your view of the world... there are actual constraints they face, and they can't hide from them. Sometimes you just gotta tell someone "I wish you the best..." as you let them walk out the door because you made the business decision you can't meet their demands. It's not because you're a robber baron, it can be because the role simply can't support that cost.

Your plumber example is due to shrinking demand affecting market values - not that the plumber is somehow more valuable to the company. You are again, mixing different things.

'should' -- because you're going on emotions.

Eventually the employee will ask for things you can't meet, or you will decide they are replaceable. Then that employee will learn that "we love what you do here, but we can't meet your new demands".

This is part of being an employer. I honestly think many of you have never held a position of any actual authority or fiscal responsibility in your life.

Experience from the bottom looking up I assume.
Thank you. You have more patience than I.
My take is that people have said this about every technological innovation. And in the end, some jobs are replaced and some are created as new industries emerge.
I just saw Billy Joel being interviewed, and the conversation turned to his latest video. It was made using AI. They mentioned there were so many more credits on that video because of the AI. It resulted, actually, in a lot more jobs than if they had done a simpler video.

I suppose there will be winners and losers, like everything else.

Tony the Tigger

For those in union roles (virtually all costumed front line cast), they all make the same amount. They are currently receiving annual raises based on the current CBA, but length of service is not a factor in compensation, except in very limited circumstances for those grandfathered in.

Whether you have been there for 15 years or 15 days, and whether you go above and beyond or the bare minimum, you make the same amount. A major disadvantage of collective bargaining, IMHO.

I used to be able to pay above minimum wage and give merit raises, but now that the minimum wage is going up a dollar a year for 5 years whether or not anyone is good, almost everyone is making the same.

I used to be able to give “extra jobs” for a raise. For example, someone is in charge of getting change from the bank as needed, I can give them a $1 raise. That’s not bad considering it only takes 20 minutes per week to complete that task.

Now it’s just everybody’s job. It’s not extra anymore. If you’re working on a Friday, somebody has to go to the bank. They all got that raise last September, and they’re all getting another one this year. I’m paying more; I expect more. Those who “just get by” I can’t afford to keep on the payroll anymore. Flynn is right. It’s math. I can’t increase prices to compensate; prices are already through the roof because of the manufacturers. (“Greedflation” is real.)

DisneyHead123

I just saw Billy Joel being interviewed, and the conversation turned to his latest video. It was made using AI. They mentioned there were so many more credits on that video because of the AI. It resulted, actually, in a lot more jobs than if they had done a simpler video.

Agree… I think it’s almost impossible to predict what industries will spring up as new technologies emerge. (When automobiles were invented, for example, I believe some predicted a terrible loss of jobs in horse and carriage related work. They weren’t entirely wrong, but on the whole had a pretty pessimistic view.) Generally, it seems the net result is almost always an increased need for workforce participation.

Ayla

Thank you. You have more patience than I.

Love his new song - the video is awful.

Jrb1979

Average pay in expensive high taxed NJ at Costco is $20 per hour nothing near the $28 you mentioned.
Most people at. Costco start at $20. I'm telling you the top wage is $28 for Cashiers and forklift drivers. Everyone else is around $25. Add in the $3000 bonus every 6 months it evens out.

Last edited:

Lilofan

Yes that collective bargaining that benefits more the lower wage workers , the middle wage and top wage workers don't benefit as much. There were times back in the day that the senior staff on my team ( I was earning starting entry level rate ) would complain and complain but when someone asked them if you are so unhappy why don't you just quit. Their response was if they apply to a similar job at another company they would start at the bottom and entry level pay rate.

LSLS

Honestly, I don't think both sides here are that far off, you guys are just kind of talking past each other. Disney absolutely can institute any dress codes they want (including things like hair color). Likewise, if someone really wants their red hair or beards, they have every right to not work for the company. I honestly think both sides agree on this if you stop and think about it.

The real issue is there are not enough workers for Disney to keep their standards as high as they have. So you trade off. The question you as a customer need to ask yourself, is it more important to you that men don't have beards and that look is maintained, or is it more important that the cast member is the best possible person they can get for the job? Cause in a market with finite workers, it's becoming more and more difficult you get both. And that is the line Disney is straddling.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Striking at Disney means you will get fired. AI sadly is the future of getting some staff replaced nationwide.

Already there. The assorted fields of marketing communications have been seemingly hit the hardest.

TrainsOfDisney

i just fly out of Atlanta and noticed the janitors and how they were dressed and thought of this thread. Trust me, the Disney look matters. Nothing against the janitors at Atlanta, I’m sure they weren’t breaking any rules… but the professionalism compared to Disney is very noticeable.

JoeCamel

i just fly out of Atlanta and noticed the janitors and how they were dressed and thought of this thread. Trust me, the Disney look matters. Nothing against the janitors at Atlanta, I’m sure they weren’t breaking any rules… but the professionalism compared to Disney is very noticeable.
I don't care if I see professionalism from my janitor unless it means keeping the facility spotless at all times. The rest does not matter

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom