Kevin Rafferty out in April 2021

tirian

I didn’t see Magic Happens so I can’t comment.... is Steve still part of Harmonous? I thought I heard he wasn’t but it’s hard to know for sure what’s going on.

Also do we know that Steve designed Magic Happens?
He didn’t design Magic Happens, and we haven’t heard much about Harmonious lately.

I hope “Happily Ever After” doesn’t indicate where Disney’s nighttime entertainment is going. The show is a disjointed mess if you back up and look at its overall structure—but that’s because it was a temporary filler, a sort of test, leading up to the big 50th show which may or may not happen. At least, Disney first announced it as a limited-run show. Then the mentions disappeared.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

He didn’t design Magic Happens, and we haven’t heard much about Harmonious lately.

I hope “Happily Ever After” doesn’t indicate where Disney’s nighttime entertainment is going. The show is a disjointed mess if you back up and look at its overall structure—but that’s because it was a temporary filler, a sort of test, leading up to the big 50th show which may or may not happen. At least, Disney first announced it as a limited-run show. Then the mentions disappeared.

A major problem with Happily Ever After is the simultaneous use of fireworks and projections. It doesn't make sense. Having both projections and fireworks is great, but they should be used at different times. It's impossible to watch both at the same time, so you're either missing something happening with the projections or you're missing some of the fireworks. It's sensation overload and that apparently really impresses some people but you're always missing part of the show.

TrainsOfDisney

A major problem with Happily Ever After is the simultaneous use of fireworks and projections. It doesn't make sense. Having both projections and fireworks is great, but they should be used at different times. It's impossible to watch both at the same time, so you're either missing something happening with the projections or you're missing some of the fireworks. It's sensation overload and that apparently really impresses some people but you're always missing part of the show.
It worked well in Disneyland Forever but they focused more on backgrounds that helped set scenes rather than competing visual candy.

HEA has grown on me a little bit, but I definitely enjoy Steve’s shows better.

UNCgolf

It worked well in Disneyland Forever but they focused more on backgrounds that helped set scenes rather than competing visual candy.

HEA has grown on me a little bit, but I definitely enjoy Steve’s shows better.

That's how it should work -- a projection that sets a background that is mostly static and then there are fireworks to watch. Or if you want to have more significant action in the projection, then there should be a break in the fireworks so everyone is actually watching.

In HEA there are fireworks going off while stuff is actively happening in the projections.

gerarar

Premium Member
There's already many breaks during HEA where it's just projections. If Disney increased that while forgoing the fireworks, many people would've criticized them from the start for cutting and reducing fireworks for projections, especially for succeeding a beloved show like Wishes. The ratio is like 30-70 for projections and fireworks imo.

HEA is also already the longest fireworks show in the MK at 18 mins.
The most notable projection-only segments I can name on the top of my head are the intro/narration, PatF, Olaf, Mufasa, I can go the Distance, ending narration to finale.

The only "busy parts" where there's so much projections and fireworks/pyro usage is the villains sequence, but it's deservedly so imo. It's such a nice combination of both there. Everywhere else the projections and pyro/fireworks take turns complimenting each other.
Take the genie segment and when the rocket launches off with timed pyro, brilliantly done.

HEA does have valid faults/criticisms, but if you ask me what's the best projection and firework show in the MK? That title goes to Minnie's Wonderful Christmastime Fireworks. There, the projections only ever complements the fireworks/pyro. It's such a well-made spectacular and a fireworks-first kind of show.

UNCgolf

The argument that projection and pyro at the same time makes it hard to watch both is stupid.

You're stupid. See? I can also make random nonsensical attacks. Do you actually have any counterargument?

Of course it's a problem. It's like having two screens 20 feet apart that are playing something separate. They end up competing for your attention.

I suppose you didn't actually read anything I said, though, or you'd actually understand why it's a potential issue when it's not designed correctly -- HEA has scenes that absolutely are not. Nobody said it's impossible to have both projections and pyro in the same show.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

I think the pyro and projections in HEA compete at times. I don’t feel that way in Disneyland Forever or Minnie’s Christmas.

If you’ve only seen HEA, it’s not stupid to come to that conclusion, imho.

Thank you.

It's not that pyro and projections can't be in the same show; of course they can. I never said otherwise. But HEA has certain parts that are not well designed. It occasionally turns into spectacle for spectacle's sake where a ton of things are happening at once and it doesn't really matter if you can see it all. I like the projections and yet I thought the show worked better from the California Grill roof where all you can see is the fireworks.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Thank you.

It's not that pyro and projections can't be in the same show; of course they can. I never said otherwise. But HEA has certain parts that are not well designed. It occasionally turns into spectacle for spectacle's sake where a ton of things are happening at once and it doesn't really matter if you can see it all. I like the projections and yet I thought the show worked better from the California Grill roof where all you can see is the fireworks.

That was the feeling I got when viewing HEA. Too much going on to take it all in. Watch the projections and you could miss pyro. Watch pyro and will you miss something projected?

peter11435

You're stupid. See? I can also make random nonsensical attacks. Do you actually have any counterargument?

Of course it's a problem. It's like having two screens 20 feet apart that are playing something separate. They end up competing for your attention.

I suppose you didn't actually read anything I said, though, or you'd actually understand why it's a potential issue when it's not designed correctly -- HEA has scenes that absolutely are not. Nobody said it's impossible to have both projections and pyro in the same show.
The argument that projection and pyro at the same time makes it hard to watch both is stupid.

Also I never called you stupid. I said the argument was stupid. Which it is.

UNCgolf

Also I never called you stupid. I said the argument was stupid. Which it is.

So basically you have no rational argument against what I said, and thus are conceding I am correct. Thank you for your support and agreement that Happily Ever After is a poorly designed show in certain segments.

peter11435

So basically you have no rational argument against what I said, and thus are conceding I am correct. Thank you for your support and agreement that Happily Ever After is a poorly designed show in certain segments.
I forgot people these days can only handle one show element and stimulation at a time.

UNCgolf

I forgot people these days can only handle one show element and stimulation at a time.

Yeah, you're still completely missing the point, which other people in this very thread have corroborated. I don't know why you even responded because you had nothing to say and you're clearly not interested in listening to anyone other than yourself.

Last edited:

tirian

There's already many breaks during HEA where it's just projections. If Disney increased that while forgoing the fireworks, many people would've criticized them from the start for cutting and reducing fireworks for projections, especially for succeeding a beloved show like Wishes. The ratio is like 30-70 for projections and fireworks imo.

HEA is also already the longest fireworks show in the MK at 18 mins.
The most notable projection-only segments I can name on the top of my head are the intro/narration, PatF, Olaf, Mufasa, I can go the Distance, ending narration to finale.

The only "busy parts" where there's so much projections and fireworks/pyro usage is the villains sequence, but it's deservedly so imo. It's such a nice combination of both there. Everywhere else the projections and pyro/fireworks take turns complimenting each other.
Take the genie segment and when the rocket launches off with timed pyro, brilliantly done.

HEA does have valid faults/criticisms, but if you ask me what's the best projection and firework show in the MK? That title goes to Minnie's Wonderful Christmastime Fireworks. There, the projections only ever complements the fireworks/pyro. It's such a well-made spectacular and a fireworks-first kind of show.

I think the pyro and projections in HEA compete at times. I don’t feel that way in Disneyland Forever or Minnie’s Christmas.

If you’ve only seen HEA, it’s not stupid to come to that conclusion, imho.
Minnie’s Christmas is a great show, and I only wish it were longer.

Speaking of wish, an updated Wishes would’ve been ideal for the 50th. Sigh. If only...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom