News Disney's Magical Express to end after 2021

ladybat2

Why do you have to rent a car? There are plenty of other far cheaper options.
I've never used the ride share thing so I'm not up on the prices of that and the Meers(sp) Bus is still an added expense with out the help of luggage collection. Which ones do you suggest? As of now I don't really need one though because my daughter is driving there to meet me. She lives a few hours drive from Orlando but my flights always get in late so ME was so easy for me to take and her not have to drive from the resort with the grand kids so late at night to pick me up. Fortunately this time I was able to get a flight that gets in a little earlier. Point is ME was a really helpful thing for Disney resort hotel guests. One those of us paying expensive airfare very much needed and appreciated. I'm seeing more and more being taken away while more and more of our money is also being taken away. I know that Disney could care less about that because it has the entire state of Florida residents and all the surrounding states that are within reasonable driving distance to keep Disney in excellent business for hundreds of years but for those of us that do not live close its getting more and more impossible for us to take WDW vacations. As I said before.... all citizens with in driving distance of the magical kingdom on earth will rejoice in this because it will just mean fewer people to have to share it with.

ladybat2

My family and our 5 kids just started using a private car service. I think it was about $250 round trip.

I will never stop being mad at Disney for taking this away. Ridiculous.
Exactly. Just because you have to fork over the $250 bucks now that ME has been jerked out from under us does not mean you had it to spare. Especially since a Disney trip is one of the most expensive vacations on earth if you don't live close to it. A friend of ours is spending a month in Turkey with his family. Renting a beautiful vacation home with a swimming pool. And he is spending less money than the 9 days I'm taking myself, daughter and grand kids on at WDW. Still because I love it so and it is imprinted on me from my childhood I would rather go to it than any where else in the world. I keep asking myself why because every few years that I go more and more of what existed of my childhood in it is gone and not even replaced by anything that makes me really happy. Perhaps I've just never given any other vacation destination a real chance.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I've never used the ride share thing so I'm not up on the prices of that and the Meers(sp) Bus is still an added expense with out the help of luggage collection. Which ones do you suggest? As of now I don't really need one though because my daughter is driving there to meet me. She lives a few hours drive from Orlando but my flights always get in late so ME was so easy for me to take and her not have to drive from the resort with the grand kids so late at night to pick me up. Fortunately this time I was able to get a flight that gets in a little earlier. Point is ME was a really helpful thing for Disney resort hotel guests. One those of us paying expensive airfare very much needed and appreciated. I'm seeing more and more being taken away while more and more of our money is also being taken away. I know that Disney could care less about that because it has the entire state of Florida residents and all the surrounding states that are within reasonable driving distance to keep Disney in excellent business for hundreds of years but for those of us that do not live close its getting more and more impossible for us to take WDW vacations. As I said before.... all citizens with in driving distance of the magical kingdom on earth will rejoice in this because it will just mean fewer people to have to share it with.

Oh, I'm not arguing that Magical express going away was a good thing or that it isn't painful. I just wanted to point out that there are cheaper options than renting a car and paying for parking.

A Lyft from MCO to most Disney hotels is under $50 each way; Mears Connect and Sunshine Flyer are $16/person. Even the private car I took a couple weeks ago was about $85 each way, with a grocery stop.

So of course losing DME is awful as it was free, and everything is more expensive than free. But all of the above options are a *lot* cheaper than renting a car and paying for parking.

Goofyernmost

If you felt comfortable with DME, I would just go Mears. I'd consider Sunshine if the current promotion works for you (kids under 9 are free).

Mears, like DME is not the most efficient, but it's more reliable and the pricing is what it is, you won't get hit with sticker shock. Mears/Sunshine will always be good for larger groups, small kids and people who aren't comfortable with rideshare.

If it's a very short trip it's adults/couples only, I'd definitely consider Ubering/Lyft directly to a park and using a locker if necessary. If you have larger bags, you have to go to the resort first and it's back to Mears/Sunshine.
Magic Express was operated by Mears from the beginning.

nickys

Premium Member
If you felt comfortable with DME, I would just go Mears. I'd consider Sunshine if the current promotion works for you (kids under 9 are free).

Mears, like DME is not the most efficient, but it's more reliable and the pricing is what it is, you won't get hit with sticker shock. Mears/Sunshine will always be good for larger groups, small kids and people who aren't comfortable with rideshare.

If it's a very short trip it's adults/couples only, I'd definitely consider Ubering/Lyft directly to a park and using a locker if necessary. If you have larger bags, you have to go to the resort first and it's back to Mears/Sunshine.
A word of warning though about Mears.

They don’t confirm what kind of transport you will have in advance. They use all sizes of vehicles from large coaches to cars. Which is a problem if you have small children who need car seats.

Dan Deesnee

I don't even care about spending 1-200 for a car service. What bothers me is ME was the magical way to start our vacation. Now instead we get into a non descript SUV with a random driver.

Just more magic removed from the experience.

I still hold firmly that Disney and the Executives have yet to realized the damage they've done to WDW's ability to create lifelong fans. All of this stripping down of the experience, raising prices, etc. I guarantee you in 20-25 years WDW attendance will have fallen dramatically, in particular repeat visitors. Some might say, who cares about 2 decades from now. But I can tell you myself and all the people I know who go to WDW frequently do so because of the magical, life altering vacations we had there as children.

Goofyernmost

I don't even care about spending 1-200 for a car service. What bothers me is ME was the magical way to start our vacation. Now instead we get into a non descript SUV with a random driver.

I still hold firmly that Disney and the Executives have yet to realized the damage they've done to WDW's ability to create lifelong fans. All of this stripping down of the experience, raising prices, etc. I guarantee you in 20-25 years WDW attendance will have fallen dramatically, in particular repeat visitors. Some might say, who cares about 2 decades from now. But I can tell you myself and all the people I know who go to WDW frequently do so because of the magical, life altering vacations we had there as children.
It was always magical to me long before the Prison bus was put on the road.

ladybat2

Oh, I'm not arguing that Magical express going away was a good thing or that it isn't painful. I just wanted to point out that there are cheaper options than renting a car and paying for parking.

A Lyft from MCO to most Disney hotels is under $50 each way; Mears Connect and Sunshine Flyer are $16/person. Even the private car I took a couple weeks ago was about $85 each way, with a grocery stop.

So of course losing DME is awful as it was free, and everything is more expensive than free. But all of the above options are a *lot* cheaper than renting a car and paying for parking.
Thank you for the alternative transportation suggestions. Mears and Sunshine sound like good options for me. 2019 was our last trip and I seem to recall reading back then that Universal Studios also had their own bus transportation they were providing for their guests as well. I wonder if they took their's away too?

ladybat2

I also really liked how ME included getting all checked in for the air port from our resort hotels upon check out. They took our luggage then all we did was board the bus and back to the air port we went. I remember praising Disney over and over for giving us that wonderful perk for staying on property. In 2019 every thing was so different than now. Pandemic strikes and Disney punishes us for it. I guess with all Disney magical things that we get to experience. Its never a good idea to get to attached to it. Disney giveith and Disney takeith away.

Jrb1979

I also really liked how ME included getting all checked in for the air port from our resort hotels upon check out. They took our luggage then all we did was board the bus and back to the air port we went. I remember praising Disney over and over for giving us that wonderful perk for staying on property. In 2019 every thing was so different than now. Pandemic strikes and Disney punishes us for it. I guess with all Disney magical things that we get to experience. Its never a good idea to get to attached to it. Disney giveith and Disney takeith away.
As bad as a lot of these changes are they haven't felt any negative attendance for it. Til people vote with their wallets this will continue.

Anteater

As bad as a lot of these changes are they haven't felt any negative attendance for it. Til people vote with their wallets this will continue.
Nobody goes there anymore. It’s too crowded. -- Yogi Berra
Seriously... I continue to be amazed at where the tipping point is. We certainly haven't reached it. Was looking at photos from our last trip in 2017. I'm glad we went then and got to see HEA, The Trolley Show and CoH for the last time. DW and I will be going to Discovery Cove in Sept and won't be getting near a theme park (first trip post kids). TDO missed at least 3 trips from us. But, the good news is there's more to backfill. So, I don't be missed.

Wendy Pleakley

Magical Express is a relatively new addition to WDW. There was a time, like most vacation destinations, where people had to find their own way to their hotel.

It's not that unusual and I'd be surprised if it moved the needle on attendance much, if at all.

Yes, it was a great perk and contributed to the "Disney Magic" element of a WDW vacation, but at the same time there are new attractions and new transportation options (Skyliner) that add value to staying onsite.

Anteater

Magical Express is a relatively new addition to WDW. There was a time, like most vacation destinations, where people had to find their own way to their hotel.

It's not that unusual and I'd be surprised if it moved the needle on attendance much, if at all.

Yes, it was a great perk and contributed to the "Disney Magic" element of a WDW vacation, but at the same time there are new attractions and new transportation options (Skyliner) that add value to staying onsite.
I guess relative is, well, relative... ME started in 2005. I got all my kids from diapers to college by the time it ended. Sad to see it go, myself. But, on top of the other cr*p TDO has pulled over the last 3 years, I'd say it's low on the list of complaints.

Wendy Pleakley

This was ultimately inevitable. The rise of affordable ride share companies has meant:

The cost to secure one's own transportation from the airport is not a deal breaker as far as the cost of a WDW visit goes, and

The convenience and affordability of getting a ride elsewhere, such as Universal, means ME is not as effective as keeping people in the WDW bubble.

Ayla

It started in 2005.

LittleBuford

It started in 2005.
I realise 2005 is nearly two decades ago, but it's still many, many years after WDW was established. Some of the posts in this thread make it seem as if an immersive holiday at WDW isn't possible without Magical Express, even though the service hasn't existed for the majority of the resort's history.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom