Jim MacPhee to retire in 2021.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
Screen Shot 2020-12-16 at 2.29.05 PM.png

todd23

There has seemed to be a positive opinion of Jim MacPhee on these boards. Am I interpreting that correctly? Is it bad for us as fans that he is "retiring"?

techgeek

There has seemed to be a positive opinion of Jim MacPhee on these boards. Am I interpreting that correctly? Is it bad for us as fans that he is "retiring"?

When he was in the phase of his career as parks VP, he was one of those execs that had a public guest and CM presence and seemed to genuinely listen. Much of the positive opinion still comes from his ‘saving’ of EPCOT’s 25th anniversary celebration.

montyz81

When he was in the phase of his career as parks VP, he was one of those execs that had a public guest and CM presence and seemed to genuinely listen. Much of the positive opinion still comes from his ‘saving’ of EPCOT’s 25th anniversary celebration.
But he couldn't save Epcot from the fantasy bent theming direction it is going in today. Just saying.

techgeek

But he couldn't save Epcot from the fantasy bent theming direction it is going in today. Just saying.

It’s pretty hard for any one mid-level exec to have sway over the larger direction given the company.

His legacy also includes shepherding the original ‘nextgen’ data initiative that magic bands and FP+ was born out of, which of course produces some pretty divisive opinions... especially for the amount of cash spent. But even in that, those choices and directions still originated well above his pay grade.

montyz81

It’s pretty hard for any one mid-level exec to have sway over the larger direction given the company.

His legacy also includes shepherding the original ‘nextgen’ data initiative that magic bands and FP+ was born out of, which of course produces some pretty divisive opinions... especially for the amount of cash spent. But even in that, those choices and directions still originated well above his pay grade.
Fair enough, but his pay grade was pretty high. He was, what 2 levels down from Bob Iger? And he was the "boots on the ground" for the bark. He had plenty of influence, I am sure. It is possible that Epcot's "limbo years" could have been due to him trying to prevent the park from turning into what it is about to turn into, I don't know. I know what I expect from the VPs in my company, and based on that, I think he could have done more.

the.dreamfinder

NGE/MM+ is one of the biggest failures of Iger’s tenure. It was designed to data mine guests to turn the parks into a real life Facebook where sponsors would gain insights into potential customers, including children. Thankfully, that’s illegal in the US. Too bad nobody thought about that when it was approved.

You could write a whole book about NGE/MM+.

HappyHaunt97

Jim seemed like one of the good ones. My family and I had a less than magical trip to WDW in December 2017. Bad enough to prompt an email to George K. My comments were shared with Jim and I received a personal response from him on Christmas Eve. We spoke on the phone a few days later about the experience. Needless to say, I was pretty impressed. I didn't expect any more than a form letter.

Robbiem

Always helps when you retire and those saying good bye actually will miss you, genuinely wish you well and you go out the door being fondly remembered and liked.

unfortunately too often in these situations everyone is so scared they’ll be next that you end up being treated like you’ve got the plague.

JIMINYCR

unfortunately too often in these situations everyone is so scared they’ll be next that you end up being treated like you’ve got the plague.
I dont see where anyone is saying or its been reported that hes being forced out if thats what youre referring to. Ive read a variety of reports regarding his retirement announcement and no one is tying it to a negative release. Its still a positive sign when you leave and those who were under you have only positives to say about you.

Robbiem

I dont see where anyone is saying or its been reported that hes being forced out if thats what youre referring to. Ive read a variety of reports regarding his retirement announcement and no one is tying it to a negative release. Its still a positive sign when you leave and those who were under you have only positives to say about you.

I was just trying to make a general observation from my experience, not infering anything. People can get really nasty when it gets into a restructuring and jobs are at stake. I know a lot of good people who have been treated terribly by others when they have left organisations, sadly I think this is the rule now not the exception so if you are able to go with dignity its a real bonus in these times

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom