Rumor Disney may be about to expand the use of virtual queue boarding groups at Walt Disney World

RSoxNo1

Moving to a fully virtual line system for ALL rides in DHS would be an interesting move and I think would be quite simple to utilize a lot of the FP+ infrastructure. Imagine walking into DHS at noon pulling up your smart phone and seeing the following Line options:

AttractionEstimated wait time in virtual Line
Alien Swirling Saucers10 minutes
Lightning McQueen's Racing AcademyExperience NOW!
Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway120 minutes
Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run90 minutes
Muppet Vision 3DExperience NOW!
Rock 'n' Rollercoaster Starring Aerosmith55 minutes
Slinky Dog Dash70 minutes
Star Tours- The Adventures Continue25 minutes
The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror50 minutes
Toy Story Mania45 minutes
Vacation FunExperience NOW!
Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance210 minutes

Allow people to get in a VQ for 1 attraction at a time and use the fastpass line to return customers. Allow people to constantly see an estimated wait time and alert them if the attraction has gone down. Guests can leave a line at any time and join another one. Experience Now attractions might have a short line, but you can experience them without giving up your spot in line.

This system has a few major flaws:
1) Where the heck do all the people go? Everyone waiting for an attraction will swamp the 3 experience now attractions, dinning, and retail
2) Need far more experience now attractions. Bringing back mermaid, Indy, BATB, Citizens of Hollywood would help, but still wouldn't be enough.

I am curious what line out of these people would get in. Personally I would be eying TOT and TSMM.
Did Disney switch to Tapu Tapu?

pixie225

I so enjoyed the pre-cell phone days when I would walk amusement parks without a cell phone in my possession. (same on cruises now, btw) Vacations used to be a time I could detach from my phone. Having to worry about signing onto a virtual cue is not my idea of relaxing. I will do what I need to do to hopefully get on some rides, but not happily.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I'm sorry I didn't use the right word, english is not my native language.

I still think it is outrageous (is that correct?) to have a lottery system for a ride.
I'll buy outrageous.

To put it in common vernacular, Disney's dog is pregnant on this ride and its ridiculously low capacity issues.

Purduevian

Did Disney switch to Tapu Tapu?
That is essentially what I was trying to mimic yes. Tapu Tapu is a wonderful and innovative idea in my mind, but I do not think its realistic for a current theme park to implement. However if Disney or Universal wanted to go crazy, building this into a new theme park would be incredible.

lazyboy97o

That is essentially what I was trying to mimic yes. Tapu Tapu is a wonderful and innovative idea in my mind, but I do not think its realistic for a current theme park to implement. However if Disney or Universal wanted to go crazy, building this into a new theme park would be incredible.
There is a reason that Universal pulled back from their grand plans for virtual queues after Volcano Bay opened. All virtual Race Through New York eventually gained a Stand-By option, Fast & Furious Supercharged opened with a Stand-By line and Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure did not open with its announced virtual queue. Epic Universe was not going to follow Volcano Bay as a virtual queue park.

RSoxNo1

Unless it costs $2 billion to develop it's not worth my time.

bhellmer

If Disney implements virtual queues for many attractions at a park, will they limit guests to one virtual queue at a time? If someone attempts to join a second queue, they could be reminded about their current queue and only allowed entry to the new queue if they leave their current queue.

Capsin4

I’m not sure I like the idea of having no standby option even if it’s hours long. I’m leaning towards preferring an electronic version of old school fast pass.

MurphyJoe

With Disney's monetization kick, I'm still waiting for Gatcha Fastpass. Purchase PixieDust and try your luck to get FPs to the attractions you want. Will you get your third Mickey's PhilharMagic FP of the trip or one of the rare BTMR FPs? Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance or another Alien Swirling Saucers? And do you spend the extra $$$ for a guaranteed E-ticket promo or stick to the hourly freebee?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
With Disney's monetization kick, I'm still waiting for Gatcha Fastpass. Purchase PixieDust and try your luck to get FPs to the attractions you want. Will you get your third Mickey's PhilharMagic FP of the trip or one of the rare BTMR FPs? Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance or another Alien Swirling Saucers? And do you spend the extra $$$ for a guaranteed E-ticket promo or stick to the hourly freebee?
I bought a PixieDust pack and all I got was a window seat at Liberty Inn, a FP+ to Carousel of Progress, and the instructions to the dance moves of Move It Shake It.

twilight mitsuk

spin the wheel and what fastpass are you going to get

MurphyJoe

On a more on topic note, and not reading/remembering the rest of the thread, expanding the use of virtual queues could be used as an additional incentive for booking Disney resorts. Ignoring how Disney would have to market or explain this to the general public, a return time multiplier dependent upon hotel level, DVC, or ticket type could be used with an attraction's current base return time to generate an individualized return time for the group or individual. For example if attraction X's current virtual queue base wait time is 1 hour then using off-the-cuff guest statuses and wait time multipliers:

Guest StatusVirtual Queue Wait Time MultiplierAssigned Wait (Minutes)
Deluxe, Club Level0.7545
Deluxe160
DVC1.2575
Moderate1.590
Value2120
Platinum Annual Pass2120
All other ticket holders2.25135

Would Disney ever attempt something like this? Doubtful. However, VQing would open the door to Disney providing less wait time for people willing to spend more without providing front of the line privileges.

ilovetotravel1977

If I didn’t already have 5-day tickets and $1800 Cdn in wdw gift cards purchased, and now flight credits, I likely wouldn’t go back with the virtual queue system. I didn’t mind fast pass as it pretty much guaranteed to you would get to ride at least one e-ticket ride or more!

tanc

Wonder if PATF Splash Mountain will have a virtual queue. More of a reason Tokyo may become my main Disney destination. I have yet to ride ROTR because the queue system is completely terrible. Imagine if you have only one day for a park, it just doesn't work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom