Mobile Order expands to table service restaurants and more quick service locations

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

All report that Disneyworld is moving towards $15 an hour by next year.

Therefore as the legal minimum wage in Florida is $8.56 but Disney have agreed higher wages with their unions that is why I am under the impression most Cast are on over $10 an hour from reading articles such as those linked to above. It gives me the impression that Disney is paying better than the average employer.
Ok...But knowing the political climate in the US...they aren’t acting out of generosity. But we can really can’t go there.

Simple math is that’s $31,200 per year. Rolling in the dough. And Disney has rather Low pay ceilings too...a detail not often mentioned.

The average rent in Orlando for an apartment after a 10 second search came back at $1,435 a month. Living the dream.
Cost of living is widely misrepresented as being “low”. That hasn’t been true for along time.

Expect tips on hybrid restaurants...large ones at that.

Jon81uk

Ok...But knowing the political climate in the US...they aren’t acting out of generosity. But we can really can’t go there.

Simple math is that’s $31,200 per year. Rolling in the dough. And Disney has rather Low pay ceilings too...a detail not often mentioned.

The average rent in Orlando for an apartment after a 10 second search came back at $1,435 a month. Living the dream.
Cost of living is widely misrepresented as being “low”. That hasn’t been true for along time.

Expect tips on hybrid restaurants...large ones at that.

Oh minimum wage is definitely not enough to live on and Disney isn’t really a lot higher I agree. Those articles just put across the impression that Disney is still paying quite a bit more than minimum, even if that still isn’t enough.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Oh minimum wage is definitely not enough to live on and Disney isn’t really a lot higher I agree. Those articles just put across the impression that Disney is still paying quite a bit more than minimum, even if that still isn’t enough.
It is...but our payscale has become ridiculously out of whack.

Different from Europe...there it’s high unemployment/disgruntlement...here it’s low unemployment (usually) but low pay and high, lifelong disgruntlement.

We can save macroecon for another day I think

jaklgreen

All report that Disneyworld is moving towards $15 an hour by next year.

Therefore as the legal minimum wage in Florida is $8.56 but Disney have agreed higher wages with their unions that is why I am under the impression most Cast are on over $10 an hour from reading articles such as those linked to above. It gives me the impression that Disney is paying better than the average employer.

I think that you are under the impression that even $15 and hour is a lot of money. Most 1 bedroom apartments are around $1000/month. So take out taxes, insurance, rent, car payment, food, etc. That is not enough to live on, even for basic necessities. America is expensive. Food cost are much higher here then in the UK, insurance is high, health care is ridiculous, many things are much more expensive here then where you live. We pay almost $600/month for health insurance that does not even kick in until we pay $2500 deductible. So if I have to go to the doctor, I am paying over $100 per visit until I hit the $2500 for the year and then they will finally kick in at 80% and they are still taking our $600 a month. Over the last 20 years, the cost of living has sky rocketed but wages have stayed stagnant. 25 years ago, you could live off of a minimum wage job, but not now. It's not even close.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It specifically says "to-go menu items."

Not "order ahead and sit." Order ahead and take it to-go.
Well that makes little if any sense...where ya going?

But then again - what does these days?
Is this a tipping thread? I love those! Always looking for a way to save a few dollars on my budget-friendly WDW vacation.
It’s 50/50 a tipping thread...fanduel is taking odds on which way it breaks 😉

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think that you are under the impression that even $15 and hour is a lot of money. Most 1 bedroom apartments are around $1000/month. So take out taxes, insurance, rent, car payment, food, etc. That is not enough to live on, even for basic necessities. America is expensive. Food cost are much higher here then in the UK, insurance is high, health care is ridiculous, many things are much more expensive here then where you live. We pay almost $600/month for health insurance that does not even kick in until we pay $2500 deductible. So if I have to go to the doctor, I am paying over $100 per visit until I hit the $2500 for the year and then they will finally kick in at 80% and they are still taking our $600 a month. Over the last 20 years, the cost of living has sky rocketed but wages have stayed stagnant. 25 years ago, you could live off of a minimum wage job, but not now. It's not even close.
Couple things...

Food is I believe more expensive lb for lb in the UK.

But other that that...pretty much on. what’s usually lost in translation about living in the US is that we pay (due to low taxes 🙄) out of pocket for everything. All our costs and “benefits” are factored into our pay. It’s why those costs rise at a higher rate than our pay (which doesn’t raise at all on average against inflation)...

We pay for all our healthcare costs behind the paystub, our facilities, our transport...hell even the payroll taxes that “businesses” are required to pay are compensated for in limiting pay and product price increases back to the consumer.
Anyone remember “pensions”? Probably not because they have been eliminated in favor of “do it yourself” that largely doesn’t involve your employer. They make it seem like a “victory of freedom”...nah, just cost cutting that may break your way.

Last edited:

jaklgreen

Food is I believe more expensive lb for lb in the UK.

I don't think this is true at all. I watch a lot of food videos and grocery store walk throughs(weird, I know). And I think it is interesting to see items from around the world so I actually do the conversion for price. And, baring a few exceptions, grocery prices are cheaper in the UK then what we pay locally. But grocery prices vary quit a bit in this Country. I live in a medium size city in the midwest and we pay more for groceries, per pound, then places like Chicago. We completely over pay, IMO. The local chains are multi billion dollar companies that can easily lower prices and still make a profit. We lack true competition here to keep prices low.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't think this is true at all. I watch a lot of food videos and grocery store walk throughs(weird, I know). And I think it is interesting to see items from around the world so I actually do the conversion for price. And, baring a few exceptions, grocery prices are cheaper in the UK then what we pay locally. But grocery prices vary quit a bit in this Country. I live in a medium size city in the midwest and we pay more for groceries, per pound, then places like Chicago. We completely over pay, IMO. The local chains are multi billion dollar companies that can easily lower prices and still make a profit. We lack true competition here to keep prices low.
I’m just going off reputation...I may be wrong.

To be fair: food prices in the US have increased dramatically over the last 15 years across the board. It’s seldom mentioned but true.

Hockey89

Anyone remember “pensions”? Probably not because they have been eliminated in favor of “do it yourself” that largely doesn’t involve your employer. They make it seem like a “victory of freedom”...nah, just cost cutting that may break your way.
I do. It destroyed the auto industry in Michigan. Want to see how a union can destroy a state you don’t need to looking very hard. But carry on.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I do. It destroyed the auto industry in Michigan. Want to see how a union can destroy a state you don’t need to looking very hard. But carry on.
I grew up near Pittsburgh, brother...who’s trading hornqvist as we speak...and I work around nyc

You don’t have to tell me the foibles of unions. The ups and the downs.

But that’s just the thing...it’s not an all or nothing thing.

It’s presented as: union guy taker...rich guy at the top that farms jobs to vietnam is not 😳

But neither is close to accurate if we’re fair.

I’ll leave it at that. The main problem with any retirement plan/system became when the average worker stopped dying 4 years after retirement of lung cancer and instead lives 37...the last 16 in assisted living. The math is off.

And by the way...think a couple things may have hit American auto hard 😉

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom