News IAAPA Expo 2020 in Orlando cancelled due to COVID-19

Q_Division

Not unsurprising but still sad. That said with the current restrictions in place preventing me from attending I'm probably better off depending on how the virtual one works.

techgeek

It’s took them forever to cancel. Very out of touch.

I don't know the specifics on IAAPA, but I have had inside knowledge of several conferences that had to delay 'officially' cancelling until certain metrics were met to invoke cancellation policies or trigger insurance coverage... usually a specified number of days prior to the event. All of these contracts were written pre-covid, so there's been a lot of behind-the-scenes review to determine the legal obligations of the many parties involved given the unique conditions.

Q_Division

I don't know the specifics on why the date was chosen (probably contractural or similar) but they had stated the decision would be made on (technically by) the 4th Sept. weeks ago.

celluloid

Another huge blow directly to the industry, but indrectly as well. The convention season bring a lot of business to renting out the parks with low attendance in the evenings/overnight hours so parks can profit after day guests are gone.
Local businesses and small attractions benefit from the roaming convention attendees around International Drive.

Of course not surprising and safety more improtant, damaging for sure.

LiterallyNobody

This was the saddest news I have had all year. I love going to IAAPA every year and playing with the new toys. Ax Throwing, followed by shooting aliens from a moving truck in VR? Yes please. Than I will go get my free dipping dots and beaver tails...

LiterallyNobody

This replaced the Sears Wish Book for me as an adult being I'm coaster fanatic. Totally bummed.

The free, sometimes super strange, carnival/amusement park food is what I will miss this year. The rides and theming stuff has been second for me for the last few years. Yeah, I like it, but the strange food. LOVED IT!

The cotton candy vending machine last year was perfect for me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom