Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Can a brotha get a translation?
Mine had a translate link at the bottom of the post, but here is a screenshot.

1714334171320.png

October82

I'm, like, 89.8% certain that's not how the relationship between OLC and Disney works.
Possibly some cultural nuances being missed even with the translation.

I'm sure Disney would like OLC to foot the bill on bringing Tiana (or equivalent) to Tokyo but it's ultimately up to whether there's a business case for it. As has been pointed out pretty often, it's just not there for TDL even if you think there is a case for it in the US parks. Princess and the Frog isn't a marketable property in Japan and a lot of the reasons you might not want to base a ride on song of the south aren't directly applicable in Japan, where the ride reads as Kawaii culture.

I would probably just read this as Disney and OLC have looked at a re-theme. Which I don't think is news and doesn't mean it's imminent.

jmuboy

A little surprised that they're not just renaming Critter Country entirely. I guess they painted themselves into a corner by leaving Pooh there. CC never really made any sense as it was anyhow (where is it supposed to be representing? Does it imply that Song of the South/Princess and the Frog & Winnie-the-Pooh inhabit the same universe?)
At this point I think CRITTER BAYOU is a better name for this NOS adjacent area. It’s still not perfect but maybe a little better?

Suspirian

A little surprised that they're not just renaming Critter Country entirely. I guess they painted themselves into a corner by leaving Pooh there. CC never really made any sense as it was anyhow (where is it supposed to be representing? Does it imply that Song of the South/Princess and the Frog & Winnie-the-Pooh inhabit the same universe?)
tbh I'm fine with Critter Country not being a specific location.

Professortango1

Except for the part that got taken over by British stuffed animals. #bulldozepooh
Yeah....technically. But Disney hasn't exactly been leaning into the British angle for its entire history. Other than the British narrator, who just sounds like any kindly narrator, the whole thing is pretty Americanized. The characters don't have British dialects or make references to English things or phrases.

Disney's Pooh is as British as Disney's Snow White is German and Cinderella is French.

Consumer

Yeah....technically. But Disney hasn't exactly been leaning into the British angle for its entire history. Other than the British narrator, who just sounds like any kindly narrator, the whole thing is pretty Americanized. The characters don't have British dialects or make references to English things or phrases.

Disney's Pooh is as British as Disney's Snow White is German and Cinderella is French.
From a real world perspective, yes. All of the Disney animated films represent American culture. However, from a theme park perspective, you still wouldn't have Peter Pan or Alice in Wonderland on Main Street USA (although I guess Mary Poppins fits just fine?).

Rich T

The Pooh books’ identity as a distinctly British creation is well known by most fans. Christopher Robin and the narrator are both played by British actors in all the *good* Pooh films. Walt Disney insisted on adding the American Gopher character, but aside from that let the director keep it Mary Poppins-level British (in tone), right down to the look of the kid’s room.

But I agree with your main point… except that, even then, I think Pooh has no more place in an American-themed woodsy land than Mr. Toad, the Aristocats, Robin Hood, the cast of Zootopia, The Great Mouse Detective, Chicken Little, The Three Caballeros, Ducktales, or many other animal IPs.

The Rescuers or Fox & the Hound… sure. 😃

I know, it’s just a theme park and no land is 100% bound to it’s theme (or even needs to be) and I normally wouldn’t mind a below-average dark ride, but in this case… have I ever mentioned how much I loved The Country Bears and how much I dislike its joke-of a-replacement? Love the queue music loop, though.

Professortango1

From a real world perspective, yes. All of the Disney animated films represent American culture. However, from a theme park perspective, you still wouldn't have Peter Pan or Alice in Wonderland on Main Street USA (although I guess Mary Poppins fits just fine?).
Peter and Alice (Great play btw) are more set in the UK than Pooh though. The main characters have British accents, showcase English landmarks, and feature British perspectives and terminology. Pooh...doesn't. Rabbit, Tigger, Piglet, Kanga, Roo, and even Pooh...they all feature standard American cartoon voices. As a kid, I never realized Pooh was English because how it felt like the other American cartoons.

Pooh replacing Country Bears bugged me because I loved Country Bears, but I honestly think it fits better in Critter Country than it does in Fantasyland like WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom