News World Showcase torches refurbishment begins today

Creathir

So... in a show that showed the entire history of the universe and the beginnings of human life many millennia ago, they wanted to have 20 candles for Christ's centennary birthday?

Now, I'm a practicing Christian, but, I find in a show with such a sweeping view of all of history and all of human cultures, that it is rather odd and out of place that they would enshrine the Christian calendar into the very infrastructure of the show.
They literally wrote a giant 2000 on the side of Spaceship Earth, an attraction which covers the history of mankind’s communication.

The millennium celebration was a big deal.

brb1006

They literally wrote a giant 2000 on the side of Spaceship Earth, an attraction which covers the history of mankind’s communication.

The millennium celebration was a big deal.
I remember seeing many advertisements for the Millennium Celebration (especially with old Disney VHS Tapes that I still own). The Millennium Celebration and 100 Years Of Magic was one of the last times WDW was able to go out all to that level with the celebrations.

trainplane3

I remember seeing many advertisements for the Millennium Celebration (especially with old Disney VHS Tapes that I still own). The Millennium Celebration and 100 Years Of Magic was one of the last times WDW was able to go out all to that level with the celebrations.
While not the same, the year of a million dreams was another favorite. Just walking around being given random surprises was great.

Creathir

While not the same, the year of a million dreams was another favorite. Just walking around being given random surprises was great.
It sure was!
My wife and I were on our Honeymoon in 2007 and one of the days we were at Hollywood Studios, as we were entering the park we were selected to be the “Family Of The Day” as part of the year of a million dreams celebration. The on duty manager then walked us to the attraction of our choice, thru the exit, and right onto the ride.

Was so awesome!

Father Robinson

Crew working on the torches today. From the other site.
EPCOT-Photo-Report-Jan27-2020-32.jpg
EPCOT-Photo-Report-Jan27-2020-33.jpg
EPCOT-Photo-Report-Jan27-2020-80.jpg
EPCOT-Photo-Report-Jan27-2020-78.jpg

TrainsOfDisney

So... in a show that showed the entire history of the universe and the beginnings of human life many millennia ago, they wanted to have 20 candles for Christ's centennary birthday?

Now, I'm a practicing Christian, but, I find in a show with such a sweeping view of all of history and all of human cultures, that it is rather odd and out of place that they would enshrine the Christian calendar into the very infrastructure of the show.

The show was created for and about the celebration of a new millennium.

Do you also find it odd that Disney refers to the current year as 2020?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom