Parking Contemporary

ok529

Original Poster
If you are not a Resort guest but have paid parking is it possible to drive to the Contemporary for dinner and to check it out?

Chi84

Premium Member
We usually use the complimentary valet we get with our Tables in Wonderland card, but we were always told we could self-park when we had a reservation.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
As I said before yes if you have an ADR you can park there and its free.
If you don't have an ADR but you are willing to pay for valet parking its possible that you can park there.
If you have no ADR and are not willing to pay for valet parking you'll want to park at the TTC and then take the monorail.

Last edited:

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Depending on time of year..you may get lucky and be able to park without an ADR. I've driven right up and gone right in plenty of times without one. And I have been turned away plenty of times. If you're going during peak times your chances are slim to none that they'll let you "visit" by parking in the lot.

As an option, I've had better luck "visiting" the WL. I'd say about 75% success rate without an ADR (again peak season - it's less likely). You could always try there - explore, and take the boat to the Contemp. Or as others have mentioned, park at TTC.

ok529

Original Poster
Yesterday was the day and at 2:45 drove up to the gate said I wanted to get a late lunch. I did not have a ADR, showed my paid parking, and the CM asked for my ID. Looked at my DL very quickly and said go ahead. I did visit the hotel and get something, but parked there until MK close. The asking for the ID is interesting I wonder if I had a FL DL they would have turned me around? Thanks for the advise folks!

Chi84

Premium Member
So you were allowed to park at the Contemporary without having an ADR or paying for valet - thanks for coming back and reporting your experience. Our experiences with parking at the monorail and Epcot resorts is that you won't know what is allowed until you get there and ask the security guard, which is not helpful at all in planning. Advice here will be on the conservative side because no one wants to say something will be allowed only to have you rely on it and get turned away. I can say that the only time I ever saw cars being turned around at the security shack was on a Saturday night at Boardwalk during Food & Wine. Even then we were allowed to self-park with a Flying Fish ADR.

I doubt being a Florida resident has any significance. The guards at the Contemporary often ask for a DL, even if they scan your MagicBand and see that you have an ADR; that happened to us twice even though we had an ADR at Cali Grill. Also, if you didn't scan a MagicBand, it's possible they just wanted to see some type of ID.

ok529

Original Poster
So you were allowed to park at the Contemporary without having an ADR or paying for valet - thanks for coming back and reporting your experience. Our experiences with parking at the monorail and Epcot resorts is that you won't know what is allowed until you get there and ask the security guard, which is not helpful at all in planning. Advice here will be on the conservative side because no one wants to say something will be allowed only to have you rely on it and get turned away. I can say that the only time I ever saw cars being turned around at the security shack was on a Saturday night at Boardwalk during Food & Wine. Even then we were allowed to self-park with a Flying Fish ADR.

I doubt being a Florida resident has any significance. The guards at the Contemporary often ask for a DL, even if they scan your MagicBand and see that you have an ADR; that happened to us twice even though we had an ADR at Cali Grill. Also, if you didn't scan a MagicBand, it's possible they just wanted to see some type of ID.
They did not scan a MagicBand, I agree it is not a guarantee. I tried was prepared to be turned away, and it worked out. On a busier day might have been a different story.

PG 134

Asking for a government issued ID is standard policy at Security gates. Driver's License, State ID, Passport, and Military are accepted. If you are staying on property, scanning a Magicband will give the gate person your name, resort reservation info, and/or dining reservations along with other info like CM, DVC, Club 33, Annual Passholder, and such status. People with bad intentions do not like to show identification so it is most likely just a test to observe the person's response. Having an ID/Magicband is still a requirement and is rarely ignored unless the story can be verified. CMs are technically not supposed to use their work ID at gates unless they are working and/or in company vehicles. Blue/Green IDs are not magical passes to get access to property during off time. Magicband scanners are using old company issued Iphones with occasional issues so they may skip scanning a Magicband and jump straight to asking for ID.

Restricted parking depends on the Resort, time of year, and if any special events are currently happening. Each individual Resort can determine their parking status for their Resort lots. Parking restrictions are determined by Resort management and passed on down to Security as changes occur. Staying at the resort, visiting a Guest at the resort(know room#, reservation name, and have ID), and having a verifiable dining reservation will almost always be allowed entry unless something wrong is seen in the vehicle or said by Guest during the interaction.

I know this is delayed from the original posting but I hope this information helps you and others that read it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom