News Splash Mountain closing for lengthy refurbishment in early 2020

BromBones

Maybe we were visiting different parks.

For the last 20 years, I've been visiting the WDW that has nearly constant construction.

If it helps, as long as I have been on these boards, I've also heard year round complaints about all the construction. Every winter = a Splash rehab and a Splash rehab complaint thread. They are a staple of the season! It almost wouldn't be winter without one.

The funny thing is...1 water park and Kali usually close every winter about the same time as Splash, but Kali closure threads are far less common.

And we're only a few short months away from the annual "Summer is Hot" threads!

Since I complain so much about construction...that should tell you that there is too much construction.
Because I don't complain about the heat in the summer. That is expected.
The construction has been inordinate.

BromBones

Constant construction was a staple of WDW for its first three decades. It only slowed down in the early 2000’s. Now they are playing catch-up but it’s still not at unprecedented levels.

Iger is not a saint.

They are doing far more than playing catch up.

And at least we agree on Iger not being a saint.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Come on Splash... you've got today and tomorrow to make some magic for me :hilarious: :hilarious:

I was kinda hoping the budget cuts from coronavirus would cause them to cut some planned stuff and open this early, but it's looking like a big fat no.

Eamethyst

Anyone correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe being a very water heavy attraction may have something to do with it
You are right. Every year Disney close rides to refurbish them. This isn't the first time that Splash Mountain has closed. It's usually during jan and Feb they close it because its usually colder out. Not as many people want to ride a water ride in the cold. Disney has to make sure the tracks are in good shape, it rides smooth, the characters all work, etc.

ELG13

I thought it was already closed for it's seasonal refurb. Are they saying it's going to be longer than anticipated now?

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
They were running the flumes yesterday without guests and without extra splashy water. So it's not operational, but definitely putting enough water through to leak, if that'sthe case. Can't confirm that, but we definitely saw plenty of flumes going down a splash free mountain

wishiwere@wdw

Anyone been on it since it reopened?
Got on yesterday and noticed a few changes. It’s definitely running more consistent and seems to be flowing through the course overall faster than before. I ride this quite a bit and it just seemed fast to me so I’m curious to hear from others. Audio was much clearer and louder but there wasn’t much in regard to animatronic help. The biggest difference that kinda bugged me was the final drop. It seems they extended the track the guide wheels roll on at the bottom for a good bit afterward and it just feels weird. It reminds me of ripsaw falls but on that ride I don’t mind because they use it for an awesome airtime hill. This just felt strange because you kept rolling. Again, curious to hear what others have to say since I’m a regular visitor. The causal rider may not even notice. Operationally, at least during my time yesterday, it seems to be much better.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
But I'm not talking about standard maintenance and upkeep. I am talking about the massive construction projects that have blemished Walt Disney World since the ascendance of Iger.
Unfortunately I’ve read enough of your foolish posts to know that you’re not kidding. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Phineas

Man, given the fact that this attraction just underwent refurbishment, I would have hoped that the animatronics received more TLC: Brer Rabbit still talks and relates to an invisible, but still talking and singing Mr. Blue Bird. And I know that the Brer Rabbit hopping figure is notoriously problematic, but it’s just depressing seeing him hunched over in the bushes. The projection of the three Brers running over the hill was gone during one of my ride throughs and hardly visible on the other. One of the Boothill Boys’ hats was flopping around and threatening to fall off with every head movement. Audio levels were inconsistent throughout when I experienced it, and the water effects a-la the Imagination leaping fountains were disabled too.

I still remember years ago having a CM tell me that whenever a “major effect” goes down, the attraction goes down reopens only once and it’s repaired. Whether this was completely true or not, I have no idea, but the main priority isn’t show quality for sure.

Animator_Alex

Man, given the fact that this attraction just underwent refurbishment, I would have hoped that the animatronics received more TLC: Brer Rabbit still talks and relates to an invisible, but still talking and singing Mr. Blue Bird. And I know that the Brer Rabbit hopping figure is notoriously problematic, but it’s just depressing seeing him hunched over in the bushes. The projection of the three Brers running over the hill was gone during one of my ride throughs and hardly visible on the other. One of the Boothill Boys’ hats was flopping around and threatening to fall off with every head movement. Audio levels were inconsistent throughout when I experienced it, and the water effects a-la the Imagination leaping fountains were disabled too.

I still remember years ago having a CM tell me that whenever a “major effect” goes down, the attraction goes down reopens only once and it’s repaired. Whether this was completely true or not, I have no idea, but the main priority isn’t show quality for sure.
Yup I noticed numerous problems when I rode it the other day. Broken speakers, Jumping Brer Rabbit not working, Brer Fox's shadow missing before the drop, very quiet/no audio from Brer fox on 2 separate occasions. Very disappointing

Phineas

Yup I noticed numerous problems when I rode it the other day. Broken speakers, Jumping Brer Rabbit not working, Brer Fox's shadow missing before the drop, very quiet/no audio from Brer fox on 2 separate occasions. Very disappointing
Okay, I knew something was missing on that cave wall, and for the life of me couldn’t remember what. Also Brer Bear’s “Briar Patch??” happened before we were even at the top of the lift hill.

MaximumEd

Well, I guess we can add Splash to the list right below TOT for rides where show quality has been left behind and just good enough is good enough.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom