Split Stay or No?

kes601

So, we are planning on a 19 night stay next summer. We plan on the first 12 nights at POFQ but then are planning to move to a Boardwalk hotel (currently Boardwalk Villas given availability the first week of July). We love POFQ so I am wondering if we should just stay all 19 nights there given the savings would probably be about $1000-$1500 once passholder room only rates come out.

That leads me to this -- if it were you, would you stick with one hotel the entire time or split it?

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I would base a split stay decision on if what I'd be doing the day I check out of one and checked into the other.
If my plan were to go to a park I probably wouldn't choose a split stay.
If my plan was to just chill that day then maybe I would.

But also if you already know you like POFQ and it sounds like you'd rather save all that $$$ then just stay at POFQ.

Upvote 0

Hcalvert

Changing to a new resort is not a big deal as Disney will move your bags to the new resort while you are out at the park. I did this with no problems my last trip (split Poly and POR). Your bags will arrive in the afternoon.

Upvote 0

kes601

Original Poster
Thank you both for the replies. We've decided to split the stay at the July 1 mark (as room only rate discounts often split between June and July). Presently we have both in the same room type at POFQ but once July discounts are released we will decide what to do based upon deluxe discounts and if rooms aren't available that we are willing to pay for we will be perfectly happy to stay at POFQ for another week.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

I love split stays, but my family loves checking out hotels that are new to us, so changing to a new one is as exciting as riding a new attraction for the first time.

It's pretty simple -- as others mentioned, Disney will transfer your bags for you. We try to schedule a rope-drop-through-late-afternoon park day on our "transition" day, so we can drop our bags as we leave, and by the time we head over to check in at our new hotel (preferably with a dinner reservation there, as well), we know our room will be ready and our bags will be waiting at Bell Services.

One thing I like to do when we have a split stay is to wash the laundry (or rather, the laundry washes itself while I'm lounging by the nearby pool) the day before we transfer, so we have a "fresh start" at the new hotel. (This also means fewer clothes to pack, and fewer/smaller bags to transfer). We also pack all of our stuff in color-coded packing cubes (different colors for each family member), so packing and unpacking at both hotels only takes a couple of minutes.

Upvote 0

kes601

Original Poster
I love split stays, but my family loves checking out hotels that are new to us, so changing to a new one is as exciting as riding a new attraction for the first time.

It's pretty simple -- as others mentioned, Disney will transfer your bags for you. We try to schedule a rope-drop-through-late-afternoon park day on our "transition" day, so we can drop our bags as we leave, and by the time we head over to check in at our new hotel (preferably with a dinner reservation there, as well), we know our room will be ready and our bags will be waiting at Bell Services.

One thing I like to do when we have a split stay is to wash the laundry (or rather, the laundry washes itself while I'm lounging by the nearby pool) the day before we transfer, so we have a "fresh start" at the new hotel. (This also means fewer clothes to pack, and fewer/smaller bags to transfer). We also pack all of our stuff in color-coded packing cubes (different colors for each family member), so packing and unpacking at both hotels only takes a couple of minutes.

We actually did a split stay last summer -- planned to be 3 nights at Yacht and 12 at Caribbean Beach, but turned into 3 at Yacht, 6 at CBR, and 6 at Animal Kingdom Lodge due to CBR being, well, the worst resort we've stayed at. We enjoyed the stays and didn't mind moving, I'm just having a hard time justifying a week at a Deluxe price-wise :).

Upvote 0

Hcalvert

We actually did a split stay last summer -- planned to be 3 nights at Yacht and 12 at Caribbean Beach, but turned into 3 at Yacht, 6 at CBR, and 6 at Animal Kingdom Lodge due to CBR being, well, the worst resort we've stayed at. We enjoyed the stays and didn't mind moving, I'm just having a hard time justifying a week at a Deluxe price-wise :).
Renting DVC points are the way to go if you want to experience deluxe at moderate prices. I was able to get Poly between $275-$300/night during spring break in March and my upcoming trip to CCV and BLT in June at about $250/night, which made me turn it into a 14-night stay. I also picked up CCV in January with my passholder discount for under $300/night.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

Renting DVC points are the way to go if you want to experience deluxe at moderate prices. I was able to get Poly between $275-$300/night during spring break in March and my upcoming trip to CCV and BLT in June at about $250/night, which made me turn it into a 14-night stay. I also picked up CCV in January with my passholder discount for under $300/night.

Amen! We split between Beach Club ($250/night) and the Polynesian ($400/night) during the spring break season a couple of years ago, both on rented points, and are looking forward to an upcoming rented points stay at AKL ($285/night) during President's Day week 2020. In the case of Beach Club and AKL, we paid less than a moderate at rack rate for the same time period, and saved up to 55% off of rack rate for the studios where we stayed. The savings at the Poly were a little less (more like 30% if I remember right), but so worth it as a 2-night splurge for a place we've always longed to stay in, and could not otherwise have afforded.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

The benefit of a split stay with as many days as you have is that it will break up your time in different resorts and make it feel as if you have 2 trips. I'd be planning a nice dinner at one of the Boardwalk restaurants to start the second part stay off right.

Upvote 0

kes601

Original Poster
Thanks all. To those who have rented DVC points can you direct me to the sites you have used? Want to use something reputable. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Tom 55

In 2018 we did a split stay at Polly to POP. Moving our luggage took all day. Did not get to our room till after 5pm. Was told to expect it after noon time. Learned that there is one truck that goes around to all resorts and picks up. Then goes back around and drops off. POP was the last stop. This year we used a Minnie van and moved our luggage our self.

Upvote 0

DISR

I did a split stay in Aug between POFQ and AKL. I think the uber showed up within 5 minutes of me contacting them and I was at the lodge within about 20 minutes. Bags dumped at bell services and then off to AK for rope drop. It is a pretty tiny splurge for an uber to really make the resort switch pretty seamless. The bigger issue for me was packing and unpacking in mid-trip.

Upvote 0

Hcalvert

Thanks all. To those who have rented DVC points can you direct me to the sites you have used? Want to use something reputable. Thanks.
Dave's Vacation Club Rentals is reputable. https://dvcrequest.com/ and a sponsor on this site, I believe. I also found this site, which seems to have good rates (about $300/night), but have never rented from them: https://rentals.dvcshop.com/confirmed-reservations/. I usually rent points directly from the owner and find them on MouseOwners.com rent/trade board, but that is risky as you have to check out the people yourself. Saying that, I have rented as low as $13pp for Poly from there and have rented my last two trips and my future three trips from people I contacted on this site and have not had any problems. I never pay until I have the confirmation number.

Upvote 0

Nottamus

We are DVC at AKL and have absolutely fell in love with Jambo House.

We too like to check other resorts, and the last trip, I talked my wife into a split stay Jambo for 2 nights, and Copper Creek for 5.

Well, as nice as CC is, we really both wished we stayed at Jambo. Its an easy change out for us, because we drive down from NJ, and moving luggage is easy peasy.

for us its "stay where you love, VISIT other resorts....BUT always come home"

Upvote 0

kes601

Original Poster
Thanks all. So, after talking about it again we currently have POFQ for the first 12 and Yacht for the last 7. If I can get a good DVC rate for BWV or BCV then we will switch, but passholder rates are typically really good for boardwalk hotels in the summer so we may hold out for the Yacht rate as it is our favorite of the 3.

Upvote 0

DarthVader

Sith Lord
We've split stayed before and it can be a nice experience though it does take a bit more pre-planning. My personal preference is to stick with one place and that seems to be my family's preference as well

Upvote 0

kes601

Original Poster
We've split stayed before and it can be a nice experience though it does take a bit more pre-planning. My personal preference is to stick with one place and that seems to be my family's preference as well
Typically I would agree, but 19 nights at one resort is a lot (no matter how much you love it).

Upvote 0

Hula Baloo

I will be staying at CBR for the first time in February 2020. I know nothing about the resort other than the Skyliner is now there. When did you stay and what were your issues with it?

Upvote 0

Hula Baloo

Thanks all. So, after talking about it again we currently have POFQ for the first 12 and Yacht for the last 7. If I can get a good DVC rate for BWV or BCV then we will switch, but passholder rates are typically really good for boardwalk hotels in the summer so we may hold out for the Yacht rate as it is our favorite of the 3.
I think you will really love the location of Yacht Club. Beach Club so far is my favorite resort and I hope to try Yacht Club in the future.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom