News PHOTOS - Subtle new decor added in the Town Center Market at Disney Springs

Texas84

This is what I think of everytime I read a 'Muh local mall is better than Disney Springs" post.
13.JPG

Jon81uk

The Grove is WAY more Disney than Disney Springs...Originally I was thinking that DS was going to be a more amazing version of The Grove, but sadly no...it is actually more plain.
If they had actually made a real working L-train line as transport the length of the area....That would have been a huge plus...instead of fake abandoned sections of an Elevated train track... It could have linked all three garages and hit all ends of The Springs...from the remote lot on the west end where Cirque is (and the Uber Cars drop Off) all the way to the opposite side at the bus drop... THAT would have made sense and seemed a lot more interesting let alone convenient.

While a train would look cool and be fun to ride, its not that bad to walk round the whole area leisurely, its not needed as a transport option really.

I don't really know what defines a spaces as "Disney" but I don't think the garish fibreglass characters of Marketplace are right either. Maybe it was Pleasure Island celebrating NYE every night and those sort of little touches but unfortunately the entertainment of PI is long gone.

Lilofan

While a train would look cool and be fun to ride, its not that bad to walk round the whole area leisurely, its not needed as a transport option really.

I don't really know what defines a spaces as "Disney" but I don't think the garish fibreglass characters of Marketplace are right either. Maybe it was Pleasure Island celebrating NYE every night and those sort of little touches but unfortunately the entertainment of PI is long gone.
Three level dance club Mannequins with all the beautiful people! Is my head spinning or the dance floor really moving? 😉

Bocabear

Definitely not fiberglass Disney Characters...It is unique touches and theming... The faux Springs is a good start, but the lackluster shops buildings look too ordinary...
RE: trolley, peoplemover, themed train transport system, Yes it is very nice to leisurely walk through the whole of Disney Springs, but I think more often than not people get dropped off at the bus loop or the Uber lots and have a dinner reservation on the other end of the property..Or you just want to get to the other side more quickly... It would have added a beautiful kinetic element to the property...and it would have been heavily used. IMO

Casper Gutman

What defines something as classically “Disney” is complicated and nuanced. I’d argue it centers around two elements:

1) Coherent, fully immersive, consistent theming. This can be theming that relates to a Disney IP, but it certainly doesn’t have to be (and shouldn’t always be). It also doesn’t refer to applying light thematic touches on generic structures (Disney’s modern approach to hotels) - “fully immersive” means the thematic approach is carried out thoroughly and without shame, even if that risks appearing campy or excessive.

2) A central concept that is unique or, at the very least, is carried out with a unique level of skill or thoroughness. This is the “Only At Disney” factor that should be so vital to the Disney experience. Other theme parks may have a drop tower, but none have one that comes close to the imagination or design skill displayed by ToT. And other places DON’T have an entire theme park dedicated to edutainment.

The most “Disney” thing at the former Downtown Disney was the Adventurer’s Club.

Toothsome at Uni, while not perfect, is more “Disney” then anything at the modern Disney Springs.

Jon81uk

1) Coherent, fully immersive, consistent theming. This can be theming that relates to a Disney IP, but it certainly doesn’t have to be (and shouldn’t always be). It also doesn’t refer to applying light thematic touches on generic structures (Disney’s modern approach to hotels) - “fully immersive” means the thematic approach is carried out thoroughly and without shame, even if that risks appearing campy or excessive.

I would say that most of Disney Springs Town Center adheres to this, the touches such as staircases with doors to "apartments" above the stores with flower boxes etc. The Town Center for me felt like more than a mall. The "old sawmill" that is now Blaze Pizza and the "old farm" that's D-Lux Burger. These buildings with back stories are something that I think is very very Disney as most places don't really bother with that sort of place-making.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom