News Dismal Q3 Earnings

ExStarWarsFan

So basically you liked the film until others told you that you shouldn’t.

lol
If you just want to take the least charitable interpretation without actually listening to what I said, sure.
I disliked the film within an hour of watching it as my brother, who had seen it with me, helped me think through some of the issues that I just hadn't come to terms with yet. And I was upset, furious even at the things he was telling me. Cognitive dissonance is a , and I had to wrestle with it, but I came out the other end recognizing that I had just seen a very flawed Star Wars movie. And my estimation of it has only gotten worse the more I've holes I've seen critical fans poke in it.

lol

peter11435

If you just want to take the least charitable interpretation without actually listening to what I said, sure.
I disliked the film within an hour of watching it as my brother, who had seen it with me, helped me think through some of the issues that I just hadn't come to terms with yet. And I was upset, furious even at the things he was telling me. Cognitive dissonance is a *****, and I had to wrestle with it, but I came out the other end recognizing that I had just seen a very flawed Star Wars movie. And my estimation of it has only gotten worse the more I've holes I've seen critical fans poke in it.

lol
You know the original trilogy and especially the prequel trilogy also contain narrative problems and holes? This is no different or worse.

Lol

ImperfectPixie

I disliked the film within an hour of watching it as my brother, who had seen it with me, helped me think through some of the issues that I just hadn't come to terms with yet. And I was upset, furious even at the things he was telling me. Cognitive dissonance is a *****, and I had to wrestle with it, but I came out the other end recognizing that I had just seen a very flawed Star Wars movie. And my estimation of it has only gotten worse the more I've holes I've seen critical fans poke in it.

lol
This is exactly why my husband isn't allowed to tell me about plot holes or continuity mistakes, etc., no matter what the movie is.

Do yourself a favor and ignore what everyone else says. If YOU enjoyed a movie, that's all that matters.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Sorry to quote a post this old, but the thing about CinemaScore, what sets it apart from Rotten Tomatoes' user scores that no one seems to ever recognize, is that Cinemascore collects its data at the movie theater the day of release. They actually distribute cards to all the moviegoers and have them fill out a quick survey immediately following the film. And the result, unsurprisingly, is that when you're coming out a film with an explosive, action-packed finale, your impressions are more likely to be positive than not. Speaking from my own experience, I was over the moon about TLJ until I was exposed to some of the narrative problems other people had noticed. Had I been surveyed by CinemaScore I'm sure I would have praised it too.

By contrast, I would imagine most people would wait till they get home and have time to seriously evaluate the film before rushing off to type a Rotten Tomatoes score. At the very least they're less likely to give a knee-jerk response than when they're just walking out of the theater.

Excellent post.

This is EXACTLY the way I was after Farce Awakens.
My wife was asking me: “did you like it? It was good right?”
My response (red flag) was: “yeah...I liked it...no...it was great”

By the next afternoon I had some stomach acid churning. Not wanting to admit that it was really just the look of the movie...kinda like a listerine to wash out the taste of the prequels...that caused the first response.

Saw it again a few days later and realized it was maybe...maybe...just an acceptable jump point?
Four years later and it turns out it wasn’t. LFL is dysfunctional/mismanaged on a whole new level and that is what it’s come down to in the end.

I believe those that didn’t casually go see these movies - as the fast and furious movie going public now overwhelmingly does - might have had a similar experience to a degree.

Just look at where we’re at? Looking to a streaming show to “save” Star Wars? That’s what you see if you peruse the threads on this PRO Disney site.

How did we get here?
Don’t believe me...believe Disney. As that trailer ran yesterday...and they flashed “final” and “story ends” on the screen...it is an admission of failure. They wouldn’t be talking an end to these “great new characters” if they weren’t admitting defeat.

So basically you liked the film until others told you that you shouldn’t.

lol
Come on...you are/can do better than to fence it this way. If you want to be sarcastic...try a post that doesn’t make complete sense.

lol
So basically...you looked at it like a human being with functioning brain and emotions? Not someone obeying a hidden “oath” to love whatever Disney or Star Wars threw at you?

How dare you?!?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You know the original trilogy and especially the prequel trilogy also contain narrative problems and holes? This is no different or worse.

Lol
You know the OT is one of the most beloved movie series of all time...and the prequel trilogy was so divisive Lucas fought the backlash for 15 before giving up on his own company and selling it for $2 Bil under market value, right?

So what exactly was the point? Right...tell people their emotions are wrong...got it.

ImperfectPixie

You know the OT is one of the most beloved movie series of all time...and the prequel trilogy was so divisive Lucas fought the backlash for 15 before giving up on his own company and selling it for $2 Bil under market value, right?

So what exactly was the point? Right...tell people their emotions are wrong...got it.
No. I think what @peter11435 is saying is that ALL films have flaws - even the OT that we all love - and not to let what anyone else says inform your judgement of what YOU think of a film.

This is where I feel like not having read any of the books or watched any of the animated series works in my favor. I could say the same for Marvel and not having read any of the comics or paid any attention to the cartoons. I can just enjoy the films for what they are because I can watch them with zero expectations.

I'm sure if I put on my analytical hat to write essays about them as a whole I could find tons wrong with them...but I choose NOT to do that because then what's the point of watching them if not to enjoy them for what they are?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Nothing wrong with listening to other arguments and being persuaded. It’s only failing when you simply follow others instead of forming your own opinion.

These days you hear a lot of “I really liked _______, until _________ told me I shouldn’t”
That really depends on the legitimacy of the opinion, doesn’t it?

I’ve seen several people today...already...try to invalidate the idea that there is a problem with a certain franchise...

Not the severity or affect of a problem...the denial of the existence of one.

I gotta wonder how much proof is needed before the wall comes down and we all see the other side of Berlin?

ImperfectPixie

Then that leads to the “it’s my opinion...so it can’t be wrong”

And that is a modern failing of pensive thought. Especially in this laughing place.
Forming one's own opinion first merely gives one a perspective that is one's own from which to discuss whatever topic is at hand. If we all just take someone else's opinion as our own without giving it any thought, there'd never be disagreements...there'd only be lectures.

Also, opinions are just like ***holes - everyone has one...doesn't mean they're right or wrong.

Minnesota disney fan

Forming one's own opinion first merely gives one a perspective that is one's own from which to discuss whatever topic is at hand. If we all just take someone else's opinion as our own without giving it any thought, there'd never be disagreements...there'd only be lectures.

Also, opinions are just like ***holes - everyone has one...doesn't mean they're right or wrong.
LOL, I've always wanted to say that quote, but was afraid too! Thanks a bunch:)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

That’s a very good stance on this...

I hope it becomes “contagious” around here

And it’s safe to say that 40-75% of opinions ARE wrong on any contentious topic...in the end.

Last edited:

Rich Brownn

lol
Rotten Tomatoes also doesn't verify you've actually seen the movie, so there is a lot of trolling there

Rich Brownn

Sorry to quote a post this old, but the thing about CinemaScore, what sets it apart from Rotten Tomatoes' user scores that no one seems to ever recognize, is that Cinemascore collects its data at the movie theater the day of release. They actually distribute cards to all the moviegoers and have them fill out a quick survey immediately following the film. And the result, unsurprisingly, is that when you're coming out a film with an explosive, action-packed finale, your impressions are more likely to be positive than not. Speaking from my own experience, I was over the moon about TLJ until I was exposed to some of the narrative problems other people had noticed. Had I been surveyed by CinemaScore I'm sure I would have praised it too.

By contrast, I would imagine most people would wait till they get home and have time to seriously evaluate the film before rushing off to type a Rotten Tomatoes score. At the very least they're less likely to give a knee-jerk response than when they're just walking out of the theater.
It also got seriously good reviews as well though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom