News Blizzard Beach closing for extended refurbishment this year with enhancements coming

Disone

In 2018, the most recent year for which statistics are currently available, Typhoon Lagoon had 2.27 million visitors and Blizzard Beach had 2 million. On the other hand, Volcano Bay had 1.73 million visitors and Aquatica had 1.56 million.

I'm not sure how you arrive at the conclusion that Disney guests "more often than not" are opting to go to Volcano Bay or Aquatica instead of the Disney water parks, but the numbers do not back that up.
Also keep in mind that Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon both have seasonal closures but volcano Bay does not (yet) and they both out performed volcano Bay in annual attendance.

So you are absolutely correct to observe that the numbers do not support that these water parks are dwindling in popularity to a degree that would be alarming or of concern to Disney. I do wonder how much longer they can last but at the same time when I attend them I do not think they look to be in a state of disrepair.

The extended down time is not really a reflection of how much effort is needed to keep the Park operational. It's just a bean counter decision.

Tom P.

Also keep in mind that Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon both have seasonal closures but volcano Bay does not (yet) and they both out performed volcano Bay in annual attendance.

So you are absolutely correct to observe that the numbers do not support that these water parks are dwindling in popularity to a degree that would be alarming or of concern to Disney. I do wonder how much longer they can last but at the same time when I attend them I do not think they look to be in a state of disrepair.

The extended down time is not really a reflection of how much effort is needed to keep the Park operational. It's just a bean counter decision.
Good points.

Also, Disney has the luxury of having two water parks where Universal does not. I suspect water park attendance numbers in the winter months do not justify having both parks open, so it makes it more convenient and cost-effective for Disney to close for maintenance instead of doing it while both water parks are open.

ELG13

No...mr simplistic...they do it to offer a variety to entice longer stays which leads to more ancillary spending across the board
I can agree with this. We went on a whim one year to BB and it was such a nice change of pace. Now every year we plan a day for it and have added a day to our trip for it. That's a pretty decent chunk of change considering we stay at the cabins, there are 5 of us. That's an extra night, meals, an extra stroller rental day and and extra day for the gold car rental.

Touchdown

I agree. Cedar has an eye for detail and care, so I'm hoping they don't take a lot of the charm from the original park.

In their theme parks, yes, but every water park of theirs I’ve visited have all been “concrete wastelands” with little theming and some of them have some really bizarre rules (one lap only lazy river) I really hope they don’t mess it up.

Benjamin_Nicholas

In their theme parks, yes, but every water park of theirs I’ve visited have all been “concrete wastelands” with little theming and some of them have some really bizarre rules (one lap only lazy river) I really hope they don’t mess it up.

The city of New Braunfels wouldn't let them muck up what's existing. It's protected, actually and Cedar wouldn't be able to pour much cement without hitting a political wall. The Henry family worked with the city in that the original park would compliment what was there naturally versus just be typical ugly waterpark. It's what continues to make Schlitterbahn the most unique waterpark in the world.

I'm more bummed that they didn't take the South Padre park in the buyout. That was a beautiful design, Jeff Henry's first use of the 'transportainment' river system and has fantastic tropical landscaping.

Now, it's this... https://beachparktx.com/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom