News Mickey's of Hollywood closing for refurbishment

aladdin2007

I am not sure what is more surprising: the number of closed retail spaces this summer or that Disney is realizing 3 months out from SWL opening that the park needs work elsewhere.

Signs point to an unusually quiet summer in the parks, however.

true, just very concerned they are going to strip them of any theming/personality making them generic like other location refurbs.

Patcheslee

Do they figuere the crowds for SWGE will make up for the loss of summer spending at the multiple locations being refurbished?

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Friday, May 31, 2019. Besides the interior refurbishment, this construction wall could mean exterior changes to the retail store.

IMG_1364.JPG

Purduevian

So what is the big store in DHS now? I'm going while this is closed and was hoping to get Magic Bands at DHS (staying at Swolphin). Mickey's of Hollywood was my plan, but it seems like all the large retail stores are now closed at DHS.

HoldenC

So what is the big store in DHS now? I'm going while this is closed and was hoping to get Magic Bands at DHS (staying at Swolphin). Mickey's of Hollywood was my plan, but it seems like all the large retail stores are now closed at DHS.
The one across the street, right side as you enter, and the ones on Sunset Blvd are still open. But like someone said above, every big store on property has the same stuff.

aladdin2007

Pure Bob Chapek - dumb down the stores, less merchandise, middle of the road, and merchandise like target or Kohl’s.

In a way I agree, at the same time though it does look really nice except would it have hurt them to have included some character silhouettes or a nice image/mural on the boring walls? They are voiding out all whimsy and detail for way too sterile designs. I dont even feel like Im at Disney World anymore....yet it does look nice for what it is I just have a contradicting on the seesaw view of these changes. These stores could be in any upper scale mall, its just not Disney to me but yes its nice. It looks better than what they did to keystone clothiers and that jewelry store across the way.

They dont even have any Hollywood Studios souvenirs anymore, its all the same stuff, toys, purses, and tees. Just like you cant find anything that says Magic Kingdom on it anymore either.

Flynnwriter

In a way I agree, at the same time though it does look really nice except would it have hurt them to have included some character silhouettes or a nice image/mural on the boring walls? They are voiding out all whimsy and detail for way too sterile designs. I dont even feel like Im at Disney World anymore....yet it does look nice for what it is I just have a contradicting on the seesaw view of these changes. These stores could be in any upper scale mall, its just not Disney to me but yes its nice. It looks better than what they did to keystone clothiers and that jewelry store across the way.

They dont even have any Hollywood Studios souvenirs anymore, its all the same stuff, toys, purses, and tees. Just like you cant find anything that says Magic Kingdom on it anymore either.
It’s straight out of Paul Presslers playbook. Less Sku’s, less unique items

tirian

Like most of you, my reaction started with a smile yet went downhill fast:

“Wow, the colors and monogram look nice.”

“The floor and ceiling look nice too.”

“Why’d they dump the ‘Band Concert’ murals when MMRR opens in a few months?”

“Wait, there’s no classic Mickey theming at all—just letters on a wall.”

“What happened here?”

I don’t expect everything to be over-the-top and tacky; I think MouseGear should be razed, and I’m one of the few who have defended the revamped World of Disney. We can’t live in the fiberglass ‘90s forever.

But Mickey’s of Hollywood had a gorgeous classic theme that felt right, and they stripped it of personality because somebody thinks it makes the merchandise the star. Here’s a hint: it doesn’t. It makes your store look like a big box retailer instead of a boutique.

This design feels so close to being right. The monogram is lovely. Then instead of building off it, the interior designers simply repeated it over and over throughout the store, and some areas ended up looking like jail bars. I agree with @celluloid — the store designs are starting to look like Associate-level work.

Last edited:

Sharon&Susan

Mickey's of Hollywood has a new backstory!

"Mickey McComick opened a store in 1924 on Hollywood Boulevard because he was into generic stores with a vague art deco look. He put a rat on the sign to signify that it opened in the Year of the Rat. Walt Disney was so inspired by that sign that he stole the design and name for his new rodent Mickey Mouse!"

/s

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom