News ‘Rivers of Light: We Are One’ coming to Disney’s Animal Kingdom summer 2019

trainplane3

Sorry for the bump, but I need to vent. Jesus lord, what happened here? A show I once loved and appreciated as the nighttime centerpiece of AK became a painfully mediocre shell of its former self in just over 2 years! Must be some kind of record.
I feel like there are ways this new iteration could have worked, but from what I saw, nearly everything I loved about the original show was stripped away; no live actors, no cohesion, just a boring mishmosh of things happening. Actually, it was so disappointing that I walked out about halfway through to hit Everest again at night, a decision I felt was much more worth my time.

Thanks a lot, budget cuts.
It gained a better finale, that's it. The general flow of the show is in a worse spot then it was when it started.

UNCgolf

you serious Clark?

Yep. Not a huge fan of the Magic Kingdom fireworks/projections show. The soundtrack is great, but there's TOO much going on. You can't look at both the projections and the fireworks at the same time, which sort of defeats the purpose of throwing them all in at once. It would be better if the projection part and the firework part were separate.

I've never seen Fantasmic, so can't compare anything to that.

cjkeating

Sorry for the bump, but I need to vent. Jesus lord, what happened here? A show I once loved and appreciated as the nighttime centerpiece of AK became a painfully mediocre shell of its former self in just over 2 years! Must be some kind of record.
I feel like there are ways this new iteration could have worked, but from what I saw, nearly everything I loved about the original show was stripped away; no live actors, no cohesion, just a boring mishmosh of things happening. Actually, it was so disappointing that I walked out about halfway through to hit Everest again at night, a decision I felt was much more worth my time.

Thanks a lot, budget cuts.

Completely agree. ROL: We Are One is embarrassing.

TTA94

Wishful thinking the next version will be a complete overhaul. Truthfully im not sure what can be done other than making RoL into more of a WoC type show. That’s what most were thinking RoL was going to be in the first place, when announced.

Being more realistically on what could happen... the next version needs to at least have a solid story and not a disorganized mess like what we have now.

aladdin2007

Wishful thinking the next version will be a complete overhaul. Truthfully im not sure what can be done other than making RoL into more of a WoC type show. That’s what most were thinking RoL was going to be in the first place, when announced.

Being more realistically on what could happen... the next version needs to at least have a solid story and not a disorganized mess like what we have now.

this, I wish someone who knew what they were doing would get in there and be at the helm. There is a loss of direction and focus anymore. These are things Disney use to excel at, and its been failing.

wdwfan22

I don't think Rivers of Light needs to become a World of Color. I'm hoping for more of a FANTASMIC type show. Use live actors, better projection screens (like what's used in FANTASMIC) fire and smoke effects and have a cohesive story line.

No Name

The original show, even without the live actors, was rated higher than this current version among all groups except preschoolers.

If the company operated with facts and logic, they would bring the original back. It would essentially require no more than flipping a switch. However, either the company values preschoolers over everyone else combined, or more likely, the company is grounded to their view that movie IP improves everything and refuses to acknowledge data that shows otherwise. “Well at least it’s Disney now” I can hear the Bobs thinking.

The reason only preschoolers like it better, most likely, is because they are incapable of processing themes, messages, etc. so they rely on cute familiar sights for enjoyment.

Last edited:

Prototype82

It gained a better finale, that's it. The general flow of the show is in a worse spot then it was when it started.
Did it though? No more three dimensional projections (The new show doesn't even fully utilize the tech), the subtle flaring of the flames in sync with the flutes in the music score...I feel like people keep saying it's "better" because there's "more fire". I liked the subtly. I wholeheartedly agree about how bad the flow is.

Moka

I seem to be one of the only ones who has a slight liking to it. But again, reason may be because I never saw the original. Just got my annual passes back in late 2018 after not going in almost 7-8 years or so.

TrainsOfDisney

I miss the 3d effects, but in the end I think the show is slightly better now. It feels like it has a better flow now than previous.

I really wish they would have succeeded with this show, I love what it was supposed to be. The music and feel of the show was on point.

It seems like they should have just tripled the amount of lotus blossoms and done more world of color type stuff imho.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom