News Ron Jon Surf Shop coming to Disney Springs

MrPromey

totally agree with you, the reason I say that was for example the running store.. if they could have done more with run Disney or had some kind of special running stuff with Disney on it, it might still be in business. I went there during a wine and dine ready to spend for anything running and disney and was very underwhelmed with that store, surprised it lasted as long as it did.

Yeah, I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did, too. Seemed way to niche for most of the year to really pull in the sales needed for a location like that. I'm sure during the various run weekends business was gangbusters and I know as sure as I type this, a dozen people will come out talking about how they're runners and loved this store but relative to the number of people in Disney Springs at any given moment, I'd have to imagine their potential customer base was only ever a tiny, tiny fraction.

Would have made a lot more sense as a popup during event weekends but I imagine that Disney wouldn't have wanted to partner just for that and they were probably expecting enough business from these things and the common vacationer with bad feet from walking to make up the rest of the year.

I think if we were going to see more Disney-specific stuff in a shop like that though, it would have probably been Disney managed.

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Yeah, I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did, too. Seemed way to niche for most of the year to really pull in the sales needed for a location like that. I'm sure during the various run weekends business was gangbusters and I know as sure as I type this, a dozen people will come out taking about how they're runners and loved this store but relative to the number of people in Disney Springs at any given moment, I'd have to imagine their potential customer base was only ever a tiny, tiny fraction.

Would have made a lot more sense as a popup during event weekends but I imagine that Disney wouldn't have wanted to partner just for that and they were probably expecting enough business from these things and the common vacationer with bad feet from walking to make up the rest of the year.

I think if we were going to see more Disney-specific stuff in a shop like that though, it would have probably been Disney managed.
It was actually a popup that ending up staying much longer than expected!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Here is the ribbon cutting moment for Ron Jon Surf Shop Disney Springs

PH677051119-0021.jpg

MrPromey

It was actually a popup that ending up staying much longer than expected!

Ah, that makes sense. In that case, it wasn't actually a failure at all, then.

I guess we really do need to think of Disney Springs like an actual mall.

I think because most of what went into DTD and Westside ended up being largely permanent that these places coming and going in Springs seems like trouble but if you compare them to a regular mall, I suppose turnover isn't that unusual.

There were changes in DTD and Westside over the years of course but with so many fewer storefronts and with so many O&O by Disney, things just seemed more stable.

It makes sense that more stores and more stores not owned by Disney would naturally translate into more turnover, too.

MrPromey

There are only 15 Ron Jon stores in the entire world, hardly something you can find anywhere.

and out of that 15 we now have 3* in Florida located in places where you won't see much in the way of surfing. ;)

*Orlando Airport, Disney Springs and Clearwater beach (which only has pasable surf waves when a tropical storm or hurricane is coming near)

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
and out of that 15 we now have 3* in Florida located in places where you won't see much in the way of surfing. ;)

*Orlando Airport, Disney Springs and Clearwater beach (which only has pasable surf waves when a tropical storm or hurricane is coming near)
There's another one at The Florida Mall, Orlando. I saw it last August, don't know if it's still there.

Jon81uk

It's odd that this store has an "up" escalator, but not one going down. You have to either take the stairs or elevator to get down.

That's quite normal. Going up stairs is generally harder and takes more effort, going down for most people is easier so most people can manage the stairs down better than they can going up. Also it encourages people to go upstairs compared to stores with no escalator at all, if there is stairs only I am less likely to want to put the effort in to climbing up!

Lilofan

That's quite normal. Going up stairs is generally harder and takes more effort, going down for most people is easier so most people can manage the stairs down better than they can going up. Also it encourages people to go upstairs compared to stores with no escalator at all, if there is stairs only I am less likely to want to put the effort in to climbing up!
Since the obesity level is out of control in the USA some could use the exercise.

Jon81uk

Since the obesity level is out of control in the USA some could use the exercise.

Yes but not many will choose to take the exercise and then the store loses sales as people don’t go to the upper floor. Escalator up and stairs down is a good compromise of some exercise!

Next Big Thing

I don’t mind it, I just found it odd as everywhere else with escalators in Disney Springs has both an up and a down.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom