The Downtown Disney Thread

Consumer

What Downtown Disney needs are some normal restaurants. I don't care at all for Applebee's, but an Applebee's at Downtown Disney would actually get people to go there. Having a bunch of high end, overpriced restaurants that nobody has ever heard of isn't going to cut it. CityWalk understands this. Why doesn't Downtown Disney have a Claim Jumper for instance? It would be a perfect match with the Grand Californian right there.

What Downtown Disney needs are some normal restaurants. I don't care at all for Applebee's, but an Applebee's at Downtown Disney would actually get people to go there. Having a bunch of high end, overpriced restaurants that nobody has ever heard of isn't going to cut it. CityWalk understands this. Why doesn't Downtown Disney have a Claim Jumper for instance? It would be a perfect match with the Grand Californian right there.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Different people will say different things, but here were my experiences with various locations:
1. Tortilla Jo's-Because Mexican food is always a safe option with my mother, who can be picky, and it was 2015. We thought it was fine, but it was 2015 and we didn't know any better. Never felt a desire to go back.

Never ate at TJ's. The very existence of this restaurant is puzzling to me, from the outdated architecture to the unseemliness of serving (what everyone says is) bland and overpriced Mexican food in southern California.

2. Earl of Sandwich-actually really enjoyed Earl when it was at its OG location, though the portions seemed to shrink a bit over time. Probably won't go back until they're in a permanent spot.

Earl is fine. Never understood the hype, but it's not bad.

4. Jazz Kitchen-Beignet was very good, don't much remember the food. And this was pretty recent, because my friend and I went in 2022 specifically to experience the OG version before it got generified. Also tried some popcorn chicken on my first adult trip, t'was mediocre.

Ate there once. The beignets are better than the ones in the park. My entree was okay. Redesign is truly offensive.

5. Sprinkles-perhaps one of the only people on this board who liked Sprinkles? Gone now.

Dude I loved Sprinkles haha. There used to be (maybe it's still there?) a Sprinkles in DTLA next to my wife's office, and her boss would frequently pick it up as a treat for the office. I miss the leftover carrot cake cupcakes she'd bring home. DTD's location never had a line.

6. Naples-haven't been, but have no interest, because it's basically Via Napoli, which I don't care for.

You're not missing anything.

7. Salt & Straw-I've tried this twice. Maybe I've just picked bad flavors, but so far I don't get the hype. Call me basic, but I've been much happier with Ghiradelli.

Tried it once (in San Diego) and felt the same way. Wife and I waited 20+ minutes; there were stanchions out the door. An employee was greeting and making conversation with everyone outside, promising "good vibes" inside. Ice cream was fine but not memorable.

8. Black Tap-haven't had here, but had it in Vegas. It was fine, but I don't feel the need to revisit based on the experience I had there.

This might actually be the best meal I've had at DTD. Just looked it up; I got the "Greg Norman" and it was a really solid burger. That said, it was sticky and smelled like ketchup inside, so we sat outside where it was overcrowded and loud. For that reason, in spite of the great burger, haven't been back. Poked my head into the one at the Venetian and it seemed like a better atmosphere.

So I haven't had that many positive experiences, and the ones I did have tended to be at places that don't exist anymore. Never had any interest in ESPN Zone, Rainforest, Catal, or any of the other places that have left.

Eating at the Rainforest Cafe at Animal Kingdom in 1999 is among the best dining experiences I've ever had. I was 9 years-old at the time; it's possible I'd feel differently today. Sadly never made it to the Anaheim location.

Still, I'd love there to be some quality options, because otherwise there's really nothing that actually draws me to DTD. For me, it's little more than a vaguely-pleasant corridor to get between the parks and the hotel restaurants.

I feel exactly the same way. I'm looking forward to Din Tai Fung, Porto's, Centrico, and the mini food hall.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

I would eat more often at Black Tap if I could afford it - I like their food as well as the CrazyShakes. Beignets Expressed is always good. As is Earl's. And there is Marceline for snacks. Naples is good but I can't afford it. Nothing else interests me in DTD now or what's been announced other than the steakhouse and bbq which I also won't be able to afford. lol

I enjoyed my meal at Black Tap. My CrazyShake, however, was kind of a bummer. Is the cake always pretty stale? It was a fun novelty but wasn't actually all that delicious. Could've been an off day.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Good point. I can think of only a handful of menu items that were actually very good at Downtown Disney in the past 25 years; the lamb burger at Uva Bar, the paella at Catal, and the gumbo and banana's foster at Ralph Brennan's.

Darn, I missed my chance to try the lamb burger and the paella. I'm sure gumbo and banana's foster are still on the menu at Ralph Brennan's "Coastal Grill," but the redesign makes me feel dead inside.

PiratesMansion

I enjoyed my meal at Black Tap. My CrazyShake, however, was kind of a bummer. Is the cake always pretty stale? It was a fun novelty but wasn't actually all that delicious. Could've been an off day.
That's the exact same CrazyShake I tried! I had heard positive things about the cake shake, but it just didn't work as well as I wanted it to.

I did indeed catch Black Tap at the Venetian. It was a nice experience, just wish I had liked what I ordered a bit more.

Not going to lie, I did go to a Rainforest Cafe once in my early 20s, just to satisfy my inner child. It was indeed satisfied, and I've never felt the need go back since. Under the right set of circumstances I could probably be talked into the T-Rex version at Disney Springs, however.

Glad to know that I'm not the only one here who was nine in 99!

DrAlice

We went to the Rainforest Cafe once with the kid when she was about 3. She had a blast (which we enjoyed watching), but it was so loud in there, the rest of us had no desire to ever go back. After spending all day in the car, driving halfway across the state, the atmosphere was just plain overwhelming. And the food was "meh", at best.

TP2000

Darn, I missed my chance to try the lamb burger and the paella. I'm sure gumbo and banana's foster are still on the menu at Ralph Brennan's "Coastal Grill," but the redesign makes me feel dead inside.

What the hell even is a "Coastal Grill"? Are they ashamed of being associated with New Orleans all of a sudden?

It's weird. And cringey. And also cheap looking and ugly. Can we also add charmless to that list?

Disneyland-Downtown-Disney-expansion-Ralph-Brennans-Jazz-Kitchen-remodel-DSC_4074-X5.jpg

TP2000

We went to the Rainforest Cafe once with the kid when she was about 3. She had a blast (which we enjoyed watching), but it was so loud in there, the rest of us had no desire to ever go back. After spending all day in the car, driving halfway across the state, the atmosphere was just plain overwhelming. And the food was "meh", at best.

I had a similar experience with my nephews almost 25 years ago, when it first opened. We were seated by an animatronic gorilla who would spring to life every 15 minutes and make grunting noises and beat his chest. Then he'd power himself down and go back to frozen silence for another 15 minutes. Needless to say, I was not quite immersed.

I remember the food being horrendously bad. Some of the components had clearly been microwaved to pep them up just before they were brought to the table. Everything was just sort of goopy. Microwaved goop.

The boys loved the animatronic gorilla, and the fish tanks in the lobby. And we bought them little bicycle license plates with their names on them in the gift shop. Thank God my sister went with regular Christian names for them both, or they would have cried if they didn't have their names for sale.

But I never went back. I don't like goop.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Not going to lie, I did go to a Rainforest Cafe once in my early 20s, just to satisfy my inner child. It was indeed satisfied, and I've never felt the need go back since. Under the right set of circumstances I could probably be talked into the T-Rex version at Disney Springs, however.

Glad to know that I'm not the only one here who was nine in 99!

Haha I'm envious, given how much I loved it that one time as a kid.

We are fortunate to have grown up during a fantastic era for theme/amusement parks! I was lucky to experience Animal Kingdom, Islands of Adventure, Millennium Force, etc. when they were more or less brand new. Eisner stuff like Splash and Tower of Terror were still pretty fresh. Just felt like an exciting time; like these fantastical places would continue to rapidly grow and open new attractions forever. In hindsight I must attribute some of my passion for this silly hobby to having been a kid (who went on a couple family vacations) during that era.

That's hilarious. In my imagination it'd be cool and serene in there, dimly lit with rainforest "storms" happening from time to time, Paul Simon's Rhythm of the Saints would be playing, etc. In reality I know it's Chuck E. Cheese set in the jungle. And yeah I've heard the food (at the Anaheim location, at least) was shockingly bad.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

What the hell even is a "Coastal Grill"? Are they ashamed of being associated with New Orleans all of a sudden?

It's weird. And cringey. And also cheap looking and ugly. Can we also add charmless to that list?

I assume some suit came across market research indicating that tourists say they want health-conscious food options, and misguidedly decreed that a Cajun restaurant will be more profitable with "coastal [in other words, California] grill" branding.

Interestingly, the words "Coastal Grill" are not visible in your photo. It clearly says "JAZZ KITCHEN" in big letters. And yet the name has stuck in my mind.

DrAlice

That's hilarious. In my imagination it'd be cool and serene in there, dimly lit with rainforest "storms" happening from time to time, Paul Simon's Rhythm of the Saints would be playing, etc. In reality I know it's Chuck E. Cheese set in the jungle. And yeah I've heard the food (at the Anaheim location, at least) was shockingly bad.
That's the perfect description! You are correct, the Anaheim location was just Chuck E. Cheese in the jungle. *shudder*

My husband and I once visited the Las Vegas location many years prior, and I don't remember having the same reaction. I don't remember much about the experience, but have the impression that it was just a fun place to eat. 🤷‍♀️

MarvelCharacterNerd

I haven't gotten the cake one, but a mini-cupcake one I had was unimpressive. I do however like the one with the brownie pieces on it. Though as with everything, the portions seem to get smaller as the prices rise... :/

mickEblu

Claim Jumper was my favorite restaurant when I was kid. Because it was themed and reminded me of Frontierland. And because Ive always loved BBQ. It wasn't really my parents thing so we didn't go to a whole lot of BBQ joints. Unfortunately they seem to be closing down or at least the one closest to me in Northridge did recently.

Consumer

Claim Jumper was my favorite restaurant when I was kid. Because it was themed and reminded me of Frontierland. And because Ive always loved BBQ. It wasn't really my parents thing so we didn't go to a whole lot of BBQ joints. Unfortunately they seem to be closing down or at least the one closest to me in Northridge did recently.
Agreed. I absolutely loved Claim Jumper growing up. I remember always wanting to go there for my birthday. I haven’t had it in probably a decade at this point, though. I’m afraid the quality won’t be as good as I remember.

mickEblu

Agreed. I absolutely loved Claim Jumper growing up. I remember always wanting to go there for my birthday. I haven’t had it in probably a decade at this point, though. I’m afraid the quality won’t be as good as I remember.

Last time I went a few years ago it was not as good. But I’m not sure that location was ever great.

Consumer

Last time I went a few years ago it was not as good. But I’m not sure that location was ever great.
That's how I felt when I went to the Burbank location a while back. I think the last time I went was in Monrovia. Both restaurants are now closed. Seems they only have 5 locations left in CA. Pretty disappointing.

mickEblu

That's how I felt when I went to the Burbank location a while back. I think the last time I went was in Monrovia. Both restaurants are now closed. Seems they only have 5 locations left in CA. Pretty disappointing.

Never went to the Monrovia of City of Industry locations even though they were the closest locations to us for quite a few years. The OG location and first one I went to was the one off the 15 freeway in Ontario. We had some family friends that lived out there. I remember the San Bernardino location being pretty good too but that was many years ago.

Ismael Flores

I hadn’t heard that name in a while. The company that owns claim jumpers pretty much closed most of them There only a few left.

I think Disney wants to avoid adding diners that might compete with its own theme park comfort food. Aside from that, Disney has a much more limited space therefore higher lease prices than universal and a completely different vibe.

Disney is shooting to attract convention goers with the more finer sit down food adding a claim jumpers would not do that because there are several comfort eateries in area

Consumer

Never went to the Monrovia of City of Industry locations even though they were the closest locations to us for quite a few years. The OG location and first one I went to was the one off the 15 freeway in Ontario. We had some family friends that lived out there. I remember the San Bernardino location being pretty good too but that was many years ago.
I believe my family used to go to the one in Santa Clarita when I was a lot younger. It was situated atop a hill with a view overlooking the 5. I remember being seated next to a window and seeing the red and white car lights zooming by as the sky turned to dusk. Super comfy memory.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom