News Speedier Wi-Fi at Port Orleans French Quarter

esskay

The TVs in general are pretty awful, but so are everywhere around property and over at universal.

As a Brit it boggles my mind how backwards tv is at wdw. No interactive program guide, no on demand, not even basic pause functionality. These are hardly new technologies.

Combine that with the very slow and patchy Wi-fi coverage and it’s not great. There’s absolutely no reason why Disney can’t be providing a stable 50mbps+ to each user.

The rooms are wired with cable, a technology capable of over 1gbps of traffic. In the uk a single cable feed is often used to provide residential broadband at 300mbps, as well as tv services to 5+ TiVo boxes at the same time.

disney4life2008

I hope that upcoming streaming service Iger and Co. keep pushing will be included on the in-room TVs. I agree the wi-fi is dated, but not having on-demand movies and content on the TVs is a missed opportunity for the world’s biggest media company with thousands of people staying on their property. I’m tired to having to switch to the channel guide to see a scrolling list of what’s on...

I wonder if the Disney stream service will become standard in all Disney rooms across their properties? It would make sense and not really a huge loss for them. Even having select Disney movies would be a plus.

Lensman

I wonder if the Disney stream service will become standard in all Disney rooms across their properties? It would make sense and not really a huge loss for them. Even having select Disney movies would be a plus.
I could see them doing this if only to introduce people to the service and to cross-sell their over-the-top media subscription services. It's a great opportunity for them.

Jon81uk

Does the new WiFi ask for guest details? I wouldn't be surprised if the lobby WiFi is open access but the room WiFi has some kind of check to restrict the higher-speed to resort guests only. Asking for room number and booking surname is common in hotels for this.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Does the new WiFi ask for guest details? I wouldn't be surprised if the lobby WiFi is open access but the room WiFi has some kind of check to restrict the higher-speed to resort guests only. Asking for room number and booking surname is common in hotels for this.

That would make sense. Although then that opens up the door for tiered wifi.

Disney - You'll enjoy complimentary WiFi access throughout our resorts and theme parks. However, you can choose from these options for a better, more MAGICAL!!! WiFi experience:

$9.99/day for "Enhanced WiFi Access"
$19.99/day for "Premium WiFi Access"
$29.99/day for "Ultimate WiFi Access"

Mark Cameron

Disney - You'll enjoy complimentary WiFi access throughout our resorts and theme parks. However, you can choose from these options for a better, more MAGICAL!!! WiFi experience:

That might be a little high, even for Disney! lol

Jon81uk

Prices are high but the idea already exists in most hotel chains. Or you need to join their loyalty programme to get room WiFi for free. For example you need. Hilton Honors account to get free room WiFi at a Hilton. Lobby WiFi is usually free no matter what.
So if Disney wanted proof you are a guest such as entering a room number for the premium WiFi I don’t see a problem.

geekza

I stayed at a resort in WV a couple of months ago and there were separate routers in each room. It was lovely.

pbrsaau

Stayed at Fort Wilderness Cabins all last week. Wifi service was fine all week, no complaints. Only in a handful of attractions would the signal be poor or not available.

Missing20K

I hope that upcoming streaming service Iger and Co. keep pushing will be included on the in-room TVs. I agree the wi-fi is dated, but not having on-demand movies and content on the TVs is a missed opportunity for the world’s biggest media company with thousands of people staying on their property. I’m tired to having to switch to the channel guide to see a scrolling list of what’s on...
The TVs in general are pretty awful, but so are everywhere around property and over at universal.

As a Brit it boggles my mind how backwards tv is at wdw. No interactive program guide, no on demand, not even basic pause functionality. These are hardly new technologies.

Combine that with the very slow and patchy Wi-fi coverage and it’s not great. There’s absolutely no reason why Disney can’t be providing a stable 50mbps+ to each user.

The rooms are wired with cable, a technology capable of over 1gbps of traffic. In the uk a single cable feed is often used to provide residential broadband at 300mbps, as well as tv services to 5+ TiVo boxes at the same time.
I see no reason why WDW doesn't have a DCL-type on-demand service in all rooms by now.

Guests can't spend as much money on food and merch if they're holed up in their room watching Steamboat Willie.

BigThunderMatt

There’s absolutely no reason why Disney can’t be providing a stable 50mbps+ to each user.

Yeah so...in the US anything over 10 Mbps is seen as a luxury. 100-150 is seen as LIGHTNINGFASTOMG and most cable companies will EASILY charge you $70-$100 a month for it for just the internet, no TV. Enterprise cable might be a little faster but I'm convinced WDW does not use dedicated lines for guest usage and the signal strength of the wifi is probably only 2.4 GHz which by nature is capped at slower speeds than 5 GHz wifi but has better range and is less susceptible to interference.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Guests can't spend as much money on food and merch if they're holed up in their room watching Steamboat Willie.

Two words - "Room service". That's also a great way to for guests customers to use their Dining Plan credits! Plus, you can now order merch in the MDE app, so that means less staffing of stores and shops. It's a win-win! ;)

Missing20K

Two words - "Room service". That's also a great way to for guests customers to use their Dining Plan credits! Plus, you can now order merch in the MDE app, so that means less staffing of stores and shops. It's a win-win! ;)

Major operational cost savings. As a shareholder they best pass on the savings by increasing the dividend.

Less humans in the queues too!!

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Major operational cost savings. As a shareholder they best pass on the savings by increasing the dividend.

Less humans in the queues too!!

YOU save money, and YOU save money, and YOU save money! EVERYBODY SAVES MONEY!!!! (except the customers who shell out thousands of dollars for rooms and theme park tickets and food)

Mark Cameron

Welp, MDE has the Shop Disney App and there is Room Service so I feel like I could spend a lot of money while watching Bambi! lol

Instead of deleting I will just add that I echo what HauntedPirate said lol. I guess I should read through the thread before posting!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom