News Walt Disney Company Third Quarter 2018 Earnings report shows gains in the parks and resorts

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Iger's quotes make me want to... :banghead: He just regurgitates the same brand-speak every quarter.

And they can't properly leverage what they have, and are paying a crap ton for Fox, so what's going to give in this age of Disney "cost containment" and "de-risk"?

Rodan75

Iger's quotes make me want to... :banghead: He just regurgitates the same brand-speak every quarter.

And they can't properly leverage what they have, and are paying a crap ton for Fox, so what's going to give in this age of Disney "cost containment" and "de-risk"?

I’m not sure what you expect from him. Those calls are about speaking in Wall Street terms. He did that and he does that well.

The thing about this acquistion is that it is cash flow positive from Day 1. So the debt issue, while a big deal, isn’t a debilitating deal.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Thank goodness they're still making money. I was worried.

#MeToo ;)

Not enough revenue to satisfy the stock ANALysts, though, as despite generating nearly $3 billion in net income the stock has dropped almost $2/share today. Stock analysts are almost as bad as lawyers.

You can have a solid business plan and have solid profits year after year, but if you don't meet some idiot stock analyst expectations, your stock tanks. But if you lose money and have a shaky business plan (*coughDotComBubblecough*) but meet stock analyst expectations, your stock soars. It's just so wrong...

OG Runner

#MeToo ;)

Not enough revenue to satisfy the stock ANALysts, though, as despite generating nearly $3 billion in net income the stock has dropped almost $2/share today. Stock analysts are almost as bad as lawyers.

You can have a solid business plan and have solid profits year after year, but if you don't meet some idiot stock analyst expectations, your stock tanks. But if you lose money and have a shaky business plan (*coughDotComBubblecough*) but meet stock analyst expectations, your stock soars. It's just so wrong...

This could also just be some people taking some profit. Take a look at the stock price over, just the last few weeks. I has gone up
quite a bit. Close to a 10% increase. Sell high, the buy low, rinse and repeat.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So, "analysts were expecting" Disney's 3Q revenue to be $15.34 Billion in 2018. In 2017, it was $14.24 Billion.

But Disney missed the mark hugely with a measly $15.23 Billion. It was only a disappointingly paltry $1.1 Billion gain.

Disney fell short by a whopping 0.7%

Clearly Disney is failing. Sad.

Last edited:

Kman101

Thank goodness they're still making money. I was worried.

You mean no For Rent/Sale sign going up outside of the magical entrance gate?

It's cute they operate like it's 2001 or 2008 and they think they're going to collapse tomorrow. Nope, sorry can't have more entertainment, we have to cut to give you anything new.

Kman101

I wonder what the dollar amount in that increase is from the parking fees?

Shouldn't we be due for an increase there? I can't keep up with them. How soon before they're charging $30 for parking? Can you imagine? Parking should be included with admission, period. But I get it, from a "we want your money 'business perspective'"

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The transcript of the call is now available: https://www.thewaltdisneycompany.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/q3-fy18-earnings-transcript.pdf

Highlights..

Disney App Trio (available a la carte or packaged)
  • Disney Now (streaming app) successor at the end of 2019
    • biggest priority for Disney
    • will include: Pixar, Marvel, Disney, NatGeo, LucasFilm Star Wars
    • will include: live action SW; new Clone Wars; HS Musical, Monsters Inc.; Lady and Tramp; New Marvel (TV)
    • won’t need the volume of Netflix because of value of content
    • lower price than Netflix because of lower volume
    • starting in 2019, all new Disney movies are ‘unencumbered’, i.e., they won’t be licensed to be distributed by anyone else
    • older movies that are encumbered will eventually revert by 2024, or, license sharing deals can be brokered
  • Hulu
    • will own 60%
    • [presumably, all the Fox content not suitable for Disney (such as Deadpool) will go here]
  • ESPN+
    • Subs to ESPN+ so far are exceeding expectation
    • will include: UFC, Boxing, College Football and other college, the usual sports and soccer
    • move some ESPN channel properties to +

commitment to invest and grow…
FX
NatGeo (concern over environment and eco-tourism)
FoxSearchlight
Fox TV Studio
Fox Movie Studio (Deadpool, Avatar, X-Men, F4, Apes, Kingsmen)

Looking to license their streaming content to other distributors, too

Parks: looking to increase margin with “yield management”, i.e., adjusting prices to what the market can bear

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom