News Disney introduces new Florida Resident Theme Park Select Pass and add-ons for other passes

JohnD

I'm curious how well this pass is selling.

I get blocking out busy days, but come on, DHS is blocked out from June 3rd and onward. We baulked at that. It's nearly half a year blocked out at this point. It's one thing to block out some days, but not half a year. I bet they'll eventually add some days in, but the point is, looking at it right now it's laughable when you consider that you can just pay $50 more for a Silver Pass (worse when you think that they were the same prices yesterday) and go. Not worth it so you can visit a worn down Epcot in the hot summer.

Right. I get that that is during the time that SW:GE will open sometime that fall but that is ridiculous.

CJR

Right. I get that that is during the time that SW:GE will open sometime that fall but that is ridiculous.

Exactly. It's because they want to make sure the openings around MMRR and SW:GE are blocked out, which I understand the logic there. I have a feeling after they get a better idea of the time frames, they'll unblock some days.

Still, from a marketing perspective, it's hard to see people jumping for this pass with no guarantee some days will become available. You'd have to really love Epcot in its current state. I mean, if money's an object, you probably shouldn't be buying an annual pass to begin with, IMO.

JohnD

Exactly. It's because they want to make sure the openings around MRR and SW:GE are blocked out, which I understand the logic there. I have a feeling after they get a better idea of the time frames, they'll unblock some days.

Still, from a marketing perspective, it's hard to see people jumping for this pass with no guarantee some days will become available. You'd have to really love Epcot in its current state. I mean, if money's an object, you probably shouldn't be buying an annual pass to begin with, IMO.

Even if you didn't want to pay $40 more for the Silver pass, you could still pay less for the Weekday Select Pass for all weekdays during the year and still get to visit HS during this time which is probably more time than this pass.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The APs are still worth it to me since I generally go three weeks a year and I would be adding the hopper each time. The year we decide to only go twice or once (because we're choosing a different vacation site), then I'll skip the AP. It's just purely about cost effectiveness.
If you factor in parking along with tickets, the AP is still a value..but just barely.

The goal of the annual pass program...like DVC...was never to charge retail price upfront.

It was to develop longterm loyalty and ancillary sales.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm curious how well this pass is selling.

I get blocking out busy days, but come on, DHS is blocked out from June 3rd and onward. We baulked at that. It's nearly half a year blocked out at this point. It's one thing to block out some days, but not half a year. I bet they'll eventually add some days in, but the point is, looking at it right now it's laughable when you consider that you can just pay $50 more for a Silver Pass (worse when you think that they were the same prices yesterday) and go. Not worth it so you can visit a worn down Epcot in the hot summer.

Hmmmm...that’s an interesting development

Last edited:

CJR

Hmmmm...that’s an interesting development

Completely get "why" the blockout dates exist, but the pass doesn't make sense to purchase when the silver pass is still only slightly more expensive in the great scheme of things and the weekday pass is $120 less. Neither of which blockout DHS completely in August and September of next year, probably won't have all of October blocked out either.

While this pass gets you in on the weekends most of the time, MK is blocked out on Saturdays, blocked out for the summer, and closes at 6pm most Sunday nights in the fall due to the parties. If you don't want to pay for gold or silver, which would get you in on most weekends, the weekday pass is the far better option.

They also offered an add-on to the Silver and Weekday passes that got you into all four parks in the summer for $89. Even with a price increase next year, it's likely to be cheaper than Gold for Silver holders, cheaper than the theme park select for weekday holders and includes all the parks, not just Epcot.

If this pass was made to sell, it'd need to be priced about the same as the weekday pass, IMO. At the moment, it's not even close. Maybe in a few years?

AshaNeOmah

It was to develop longterm loyalty and ancillary sales.

And it worked until now for me and my family.

We're 600 miles away so an AP made sense for many years, for 10-12 days annually. At the approaching price of $1k each, with other increases taken into consideration, 4-7 days every 18 months is enough for us.

WDW can't be our 'go to' place any more and I really hate that it's at that point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom