PHOTOS - Walt Disney Presents 'coming soon' models updated (June 2018)

Walt d

All Galaxy's Edge stuff, got it. I was hoping for at least a tiny bit more info on Mickey and Minnie, but I guess Star Wars is a bit of an overpowering force (no pun intended).
You have to wonder, how many months does it take to make something like this. Those people that do this work are very gifted. To start with nothing just drawing and then there is the drawing in 3-D . In one mans dream. I loved going in there, to see those modals. I could do the air brush work, but thats it. Hats off to them...

Pixieish

You have to wonder, how many months does it take to make something like this. Those people that do this work are very gifted. To start with nothing just drawing and then there is the drawing in 3-D . In one mans dream. I loved going in there, to see those modals. I could do the air brush work, but thats it. Hats off to them...
I wonder if it's possible to take CAD drawings for plans and shrink them for use with a 3D printer...

Missing20K

I wonder if it's possible to take CAD drawings for plans and shrink them for use with a 3D printer...

It sure is! Not saying that's how these were done. I have no idea. But yes 3D printers can use CAD drawings, among other formats, to create objects.

Pixieish

It sure is! Not saying that's how these were done. I have no idea. But yes 3D printers can use CAD drawings, among other formats, to create objects.
I thought so. I've never used CAD personally (just never had the chance/opportunity), but I am proficient in using a CNC router and many other design titles, so it sort of made sense for it to be possible. (I have a long history in graphic/sign design and production.)

n2hifi

In architectural firms the particular '3D printer' you refer to is called 'summer intern'. My first year of Architecture school was pretty much dedicated to learning how to build super detailed models like that and hand lettering. Yes, this was before CAD and 3D models. You basically get free labor to build your models for you so it can take as long as it needs to.

In all seriousness, quite a few of the parts are printed now, but the model is still generally built by hand or not even a physical model, just a rendering. I don't do exteriors so all of my designs are rendered, not physical models.

Now building models is just for fun.
2017-10-15 11.14.04.jpg
2017-10-22 16.36.59.jpg

Last edited:

crxbrett

In architectural firms the particular '3D printer' you refer to is called 'summer intern'. My first year of Architecture school was pretty much dedicated to learning how to build super detailed models like that and hand lettering. Yes, this was before CAD and 3D models. You basically get free labor to build your models for you so it can take as long as it needs to.

In all seriousness, quite a few of the parts are printed now, but the model is still generally built by hand or not even a physical model, just a rendering. I don't do exteriors so all of my designs are rendered, not physical models.

Now building models is just for fun.View attachment 293591View attachment 293592

Just curious, have you ever seen or been to the giant model indoor theme park, Miniatur Wunderland in Hamburg, Germany? I love models and looking at your pics, figured you may have heard of the one in Germany.

https://www.miniatur-wunderland.com/exchange/about/image-film-wunderland/

n2hifi

Just curious, have you ever seen or been to the giant model indoor theme park, Miniatur Wunderland in Hamburg, Germany? I love models and looking at your pics, figured you may have heard of the one in Germany.
My dad has but I have not. He is into trains and models as well and travels overseas frequently. I have seen several videos and walkthroughs but have never been out of North America. It is definitely on my list though if I can stop spending all my money in WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom